Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Sonya_P : 3rd Jan 2014 at 8:15 PM.
My first machinima! Please give feedback!
This is my first machinima, its called "The Mysterious Case of Okefenokee". Its in film noir style and its about a detective who comes across a strangely marked victim.

I've made parts 1 and 2, I have yet to start on part 3, here are the links:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUt_oDOVKM (part 1)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDXwuN-Jb54 (part 2)

please tell me what you think of it so far
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonya_P
This is my first machinima, its called "The Mysterious Case of Okefenokee". Its in film noir style and its about a detective who comes across a strangely marked victim.

I've made parts 1 and 2, I have yet to start on part 3, here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKWRxwAwGo (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4mF1I5G9Y (part 2)

please tell me what you think of it so far

Seems that its going quite good :-)

One piece of critisism i have to make though is, in part 1, sometimes the captions and sub-titles were hard to read. Thumbs up for making a noir style movie, i tried that recently aswell, and it was in black and white too. Also we both used Magix movie maker programmes and used some tracks from LA Noir (i just used only the main theme track tho)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skyrider77
Seems that its going quite good :-)

One piece of critisism i have to make though is, in part 1, sometimes the captions and sub-titles were hard to read. Thumbs up for making a noir style movie, i tried that recently aswell, and it was in black and white too. Also we both used Magix movie maker programmes and used some tracks from LA Noir (i just used only the main theme track tho)

Thank you for the feedback!! i actually made part 1 around a year ago with windows movie maker so the quality isn't so good :S i had difficulty getting the videos to have HD quality, they look good in the movie maker but when uploaded they only go up to 480 and still look kind of fuzzy. do you know how to improve the quality?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonya_P
Thank you for the feedback!! i actually made part 1 around a year ago with windows movie maker so the quality isn't so good :S i had difficulty getting the videos to have HD quality, they look good in the movie maker but when uploaded they only go up to 480 and still look kind of fuzzy. do you know how to improve the quality?

Im very new to magix movie edit pro 2013, i only bought it 2 months ago, but ive been using magix movie edit 16 for a fair few years now, and at first glance, it seems very similar to movie edit pro 13. When you upload sims 3, do you have the screen options in games options set to the highest one?. On my one i do, and in brackets it will tell you whether its a 4:3 or 16:9 ratio ect. My top setting is a 16:9 one.

When you go into video capture options in sims 3 which option video quality do you pick?, low, medium, high or highest (uncompressed). I pick "Highest (uncompressed)". That will use alot of your hardrive space, but its well worth it, its a much bigger improvement on the "high" option. When i capture on "highest (uncompressed)" the video resolution is something like 1024 x 540, when i do it on "high", it only comes out 640 x 360 or 640 x 480.

Also in magix movie makers, you can choose the quality of your video preview options (just like you can in sony vegas). If you have it set on a low quality, the video when you play it on magix wont look too good, but if your ram is rather low (like 1gb or under) you wont have much of a choice.
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 6:01 PM
You so rock I love

''Who Cares If You Can't Dance ""Just Get Up And Dance Anyway

•It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

•If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2013 at 1:22 AM
I really enjoy this movie so far. You've done a good job of representing film noir. The setting, black & white film, even the dialogue (dame, dumb dora) really places the audience in the time. One thing to improve on is the main character. I don't know anything about him. I'm not sure if his name is even mentioned. So far, everything about him is based on sentimentality. That is to say it's all subject to the expectations of the film noir genre. Thus, we're supposed to assume that the detective is moody, a loner, attracted to blondes, and a great sleuth. But that doesn't breed empathy which is what is needed for connection to the character. The audience needs to see that he's moody or a loner. Instead of the boss telling us the detective is getting off track, we need to see his struggle with being attracted to the blonde while knowing that the attraction can impair his job/objective judgement. Getting inside the character makes him relatable so that we can genuinely care about him and be scared for him. You don't need a whole back story, just some bits that reveal who he is as a person and what his inner struggles are so that the external conflicts become amplified with our worry for him.

I wouldn't know this was your first if you hadn't said it! Great job. Can't wait to see what happens.
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:46 AM
Great movie
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 12:18 PM
loved it! the charas and their wardrobe, the typical music, very film noir! and anyway, great for a first movie. i like not knowing exactly what any of them might hide or be, it keeps up the suspense. thrilled for the next episode(s)!