Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 6:12 PM Last edited by herr burgermeister : 12th Sep 2020 at 7:04 AM.
Default How to change a lamp into deco? *Resolved*
Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Greetings and salutations, good folk.

There is a candy corn lamp from THIS SET that I would really like as a deco object, but lack the skills and patience to figure out how to convert said object. Is there a way I can simply switch off the lamp's abilities as a lamp without having to go through the cloning process, thus saving what little sanity remains?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 9:03 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You could try altering the Globals resource in the package. Changing it from lamp to painting. And I say painting because I *think* sculptures use that.

Hi there, HL!
Thank you for responding. Apologies for just getting back to your response. Everyone around here, including self, have been dirty dog sick since the weekend.
Okay, so, would you be able to give me a quick writ on how to find said global resources and what I should change with what numbers/letters/symbols? Yes, SimPE and I do Not play well together, (probably a shortcoming on my part), so a walk-through would be Most Gratefully appreciated.
Or even a point to a tutorial which even a moron like myself could understand.

THANK YOU!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 1:48 AM
Sorry your household is not well! Tis the season for it, but it's still a big bummer.

Open your package
Select the GLOB resource in the Resource Tree (top left)
Select the semi global file in the Resource List (top right)
Using the drop down change the highlighted (probably Lighting) to PaintingGlobals (bottom). You will see a drop down arrow to the right
Commit & Save
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 1:19 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Nov 2018 at 1:30 PM.
You can keep the object as a lamp, and just not turn it on. There isn't much difference from a deco object except from certain placement issues (and those may be fixable in the file, or you can just use the yellow OMSP from Silentlucidity's angled set here that lets you place lamps more or less anywhere)

The absolute basics of making most objects into deco objects is to extract the mesh and texture, clone an object with roughly the properties you're after (most can be edited, depending on your SimPE skills), give it a new GUID, a description, replace the mesh and texture, and save. Of course, there's a bit more to it, and some objects need some editing to look like their counterpart, but if you choose a good starting object it's not all that difficult. Converting an object is much easier than making one from scratch.

(for small deco objects I prefer the small statue of a man, and before I knew how to add subsets I'd use the blue vase with a red leafy flower if there were two subsets. They do need some editing in the TXMT to look right, because they're both very shiny, but once you have an edited object you're satisfied with you can clone that instead, and then you don't need to worry too much about the TXMT. Some people seem to prefer the freezer bunny sculpture, but I don't have much experience with using it).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Sorry your household is not well! Tis the season for it, but it's still a big bummer.

Open your package
Select the GLOB resource in the Resource Tree (top left)
Select the semi global file in the Resource List (top right)
Using the drop down change the highlighted (probably Lighting) to PaintingGlobals (bottom). You will see a drop down arrow to the right
Commit & Save

Hey there, HL! Unfortunately, yes, 'tis the season.

Okay, followed your step to, and it was quite precise and straight forward, no need to question of this or that. One snag - The drop down already was showing PaintingGlobals. Just for the halibut, I let that stand, commited and saved it. Haven't had the time or health to hop into game to check it, but thought you'd still like a heads up either way at this point.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:12 AM
simmer22 -

Thank you for the reply, however, as I stated in my original post, I'm looking for a non-stress way to make this object a statue only item. I have no patience or head for coding at this point in life, so I would like to stay away from anything that would relieve me of what little sanity and hair I retain.
The OCD wants the lamp to be an object-only item, but I may have to fight it and either ignore the wick sticking out of the top, or just give in and delete the lamp altogether. Which would be a shame since there are no other candy corn substitutes out there that look like LARGE candy corn.

Thank you for the thought. It was gracious of you.

:bow:
HB
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:17 PM
Getting rid of the candle wicks would require a mesh edit. Fortunately it's pretty simple. Check your PM box