Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:48 PM Last edited by heaven : 11th Jul 2014 at 6:16 PM.
Default CAS Demo and Sims
I figured with the demo out and slowly making the rounds around to everyone, there should be a place to share the sims you've made using the demo. Also, if you'd like to add a bit of info about your experience, that'd be great (not required but a helpful addition).

I'll start:

I didn't bother naming her as I didn't feel any particular attachment or emotion for her.

Thoughts:
  • Controls: I found the controls to be resistant to the push-pull (very slow/like trying to push through mud) and trying to find the right area to grab to manipulate a specific section was rather non-intuitive.
  • Presets: While the presets don't seem bad, the one thing I found really distracting and almost nauseating was that each time you click something to adjust (mouth/brows/head) it would bounce back to have the preset window on the right side. Felt very bouncy to me. If there was a way to turn it off or hide that preset box, I didn't find it.
  • Appearance: I only made the one female but I do like a fair portion of the clothes. The limited amount of color choices really frustrated me and the swatches tended to not actually match when you looked at it on the sim (skin tone, eyes, make-up especially)
  • Traits: I'm bothered by the fact that your sim automatically gets a boost once you choose their aspiration. It's a trait that seems like it will make achieving the aspiration oodles easier, taking a fair bit of challenge from the game.

Overall Emotions: I hadn't planned on buying the game anyway and CAS certainly didn't change my mind. After maybe 20 minutes I got bored and don't see myself trying again soon.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 4:42 PM
I keep trying because I want to see if I find new ways to push around the pixels. I really do wish that an alternative advanced mode was implemented for regular sliders. I say advanced because the old way seems too hard for other players.

Seems to be a dance in and out of detail mode, out of detail mode allows for placement and detail mode for precise placement. Like brows, had to figure out why I can't adjust the height in detail so I can see better how it's placed or even make the brows wider but when I come out of detail I can move the brows wider across the brow bone and turn up/down the edges. Then go into detail mode to adjust the curve. Really it's too much movement for me and I don't see how it's easier, not efficient at all. Maybe I am confused about the effieciency of this process. :/

I tried making Mads Mikkelson last night, but found it hard to take pictures while the sim have the instant movement of the brow area from the way I initially had them set over his eyes. Oh well...I said F this fricking, fracking mess.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 5:09 PM

I think the brows and his lips should be thinner but he looks pretty cool.
Mads/Hannibal is going to be one of the first Sims I'll try to make as well if I ever get the demo...
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 5:34 PM
I have been playing about in the demo - I was trying to make a celeb sim but the fine detail mode is defeating me a little bit. I find it gets easier and more intuitive with practice. I miss CASt or Sims2 recolors - this is going to be a real problem for me, the restricted clothing/color options.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Theorist
#5 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 7:24 PM Last edited by lovcat : 12th Jul 2014 at 12:18 AM.
I posted a few of mine in the other thread and I'll post more here as I continue to work on 'em. I mentioned in the other thread that there are some limitations like you can't make a sim with eyes that are really close together, so I couldn't make a celeb that I wanted, Chris O'Dowd. It started looking like him, but the eyes were just a little too far apart for a spot on resemblance.

Other than that my thoughts on the controls are exactly like heaven's. The right click being the push/pull action immediately made the first few minutes in the demo difficult. I'd accidentally be grabbing and pulling things, but wouldn't see much difference and the tool was giving me a lot of resistance. Even though we can sculpt and change the sims a lot, the randomize button, for men at least, does offer a lot of samefaced men so townies might not have a bunch of variation if they're using the randomize.

I want to throw in that I'm also having issues with sims where I need to move their entire face up higher.. those with long faces or short foreheads seem to be hard to make. Having trouble with Ian Somerhalder in particular.

Here is Noel Fielding, a British Comedian

Benedict Cumberbatch, a British Actor (Sherlock)

Angelina Jolie

Nina Dobrev of the Vampire Diaries

Ian Somerhalder of the Vampire Diaries (WIP)

Non-Celeb - My Self-sim.

A foodie Alien named Astrid Hart
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 7:43 PM
@lovcat - that Benedict Cumberbatch sim is looking damn good.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Theorist
#7 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
@lovcat - that Benedict Cumberbatch sim is looking damn good.

Thanks :3 He's really testing my patience though.. and for some reason I can't make good female celeb sims. I tried Angelina Jolie and she looked like a pre-set face in the end. I might try again today. I think it's cause Angelina herself has had a lot of... sculpting... so unless you get two photos from the same day you're going to get mushy Angelina.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 7:56 PM
Absolutely loving these.
@lovcat Was it pretty easy to make the celeb-sims and self-sim or is it as tedious (near impossible without mods) as TS3?
I saw HP has played with gender a bit, has anyone else? I'm really interested to see how much room to move you are given. Tho I suppose we might have to wait for the modders to get in there are make all the hair available for both genders (fingers crossed for clothing options too).
Theorist
#9 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SBE
Absolutely loving these.
@lovcat Was it pretty easy to make the celeb-sims and self-sim or is it as tedious (near impossible without mods) as TS3?
I saw HP has played with gender a bit, has anyone else? I'm really interested to see how much room to move you are given. Tho I suppose we might have to wait for the modders to get in there are make all the hair available for both genders (fingers crossed for clothing options too).

It's VERY easy to make a celeb-sim or self-sim. If you spend enough time tweaking it will resemble the person, the only issue is that we don't know if the sims in the game will look exactly like the sims we make in CAS. I made Angelina Jolie with the help of my awesome mom (she has an eye for stuff) I'm going to update the post above.

But, TL;DR You can make diverse looking sims if you put the time in, but like with real clay it's a lot of small changes.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 8:48 PM
Lovcat, I think that Angelina sim is spot-on. I'd have known it was her even if you hadn't said it!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 11:12 PM
Like all the sims everybody is making! Haven't got the demo yet but how did you guys get the demo?

Can't believe people still read these.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 12:13 AM Last edited by Ive : 12th Jul 2014 at 9:06 PM.
My attempt at a selfsim. Obviously better in pixels than the real thing.
My face is so pudding in real life that I would fit right in TS3

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Scholar
#13 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:14 AM
anyone make any dark skinned sims. I heard the darker skin tones don't look like much.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:23 AM
Default My Sim
Here is my version of Brandi Broke:

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:54 AM
Wanted to try making an alien as well but I thought she turned out kinda cool as "normal" :) Not very realistic tho

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:56 AM
Your sims look nice Ive. I know you've been rather absent from TS3 (at least around the forums as far as I know. I kind of "lost track" of you when you changed your username) so how are you liking TS4? Any thoughts on the demo?

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Your sims look nice Ive. I know you've been rather absent from TS3 (at least around the forums as far as I know. I kind of "lost track" of you when you changed your username) so how are you liking TS4? Any thoughts on the demo?

Thank you. Yea I have been kinda absent, been working on a couple of custom worlds and messed around in CAW so haven't actually played TS3 that much = not that much to post!

I like the demo. I think I prefer sliders rather than finding the correct spot to drag/pull, maybe having both available would have been good.
But I'm still not sold on TS4, been burned too many times by EA to let a demo win me over (especially as a builder, CAS isn't even that important to me). I will wait until the general opinion is out here on the forums before doing anything.

It's fun to play around with the demo and everything but for all we know they might look terrible ingame.

Another thing with CAS - It's annoying how some accessories are under face and others under body. Should all have been under clothes in my opinion, except hats.

Oops - kinda long post :)

Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:27 AM
Erinmblair, Brandi's a beauty and yours makes me happy. Did you load her to Gallery?

Ive, your self sim is sooo cute! The alien is the most adorable one I have seen, I wouldn't mind her in my game whenever I get it. She reminds me of a doll I use to have.

AGDoren, I created this couple today, Pinkie and Ralph Lee. I always make a dark skin female and give her lavender hair.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#19 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:44 AM Last edited by thesammy58 : 12th Jul 2014 at 2:56 AM.
I made Kim Kardashian!
Scholar
#20 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:58 AM
I have an origin account. I'm gonna check and see if I can access the demo tonight. I've always liked the look of Sims 4 CAS.

Lewis thanks for posting the pics of the different sims. Your sims look pretty good. You've got me tempted to make Mads just to see if I can. Too bad about the sliders. Are those the darkest skins available?

Mad Poster
#21 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:10 AM
No, not the darkest but give me a minute and I will bring her up with a darkest skin tone. You're welcome.

Here you go.

Instructor
#22 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:13 AM
*Dying*

Lewis, stop with all the fantastic Sims.
Seriously.
By the time this game comes out, I won't even be alive to play it because I'll be dead from all the cute. :P
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:23 AM
I already told you MrsNervousSubject, you are the one I can't wait to see show out on that demo. You got the talent, I imitate.

I didn't edit those pictures above, just added them from the print screen. If you want me to reduce the size, let me know.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:36 AM
Those pics are so awesome, I want that CAS demo so badly

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Scholar
#25 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:54 AM Last edited by A.G.Doren : 12th Jul 2014 at 8:08 AM.
thanks a lot lewis. the darkest tone is a bit cool, but overall not bad. I wonder how they look in game.

edit> by cool I mean not enough warm undertones. some have said the darker tones look ashy which might account for that.

Page 1 of 12