Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 11:31 AM
Default Making stencils re-colorable?
Hi there,

When I uploaded a bunch of stenciled tees for toddler to elder on MTS, they asked me to make them re-colorable.

No problem, I thought, so I read through some tutorials about re-coloring and tried them out.
But now I got a problem. The recoloring doesn't work.

I don't know why, but maybe it's because of the stencils. You see, I don't need to recolor the clothes, but I do need to re-color the stencils.

Anyone got an idea about how this works?

I got a picture here. I want the heart to be recolorable and the letters. So I need two recolorable areas.

Screenshots

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 12:24 PM
What exactly did you do?

You can't make stencils recolourable. You'll need to copy the stencil design onto the mask, change the colours so the different sections all work as channels, then delete the stencils. You may have already seen this tutorial, but I recommend it in case you haven't: Sims 3:Basic Mask Editingwiki.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 1:51 PM Last edited by nikkicornelisse : 8th Apr 2011 at 2:04 PM.
I exported the mask, placed my stencil on it (so it would be in the correct place) colored the heart blue, colored the letters yellow, made the background red, (ofcourse all different layers) flatten the image, saved it as .dds and imported it back into TSRW.
That's how it works, right.

I don't use Delphy's CAS Texture Unitool, because somehow it ain't working for me, so I use TSRW.

EDIT:

I managed to get it recolored, except that the letters and the heart are both the same channels, but I do got two different colors on the mask.

Here's the mask (the yellow are the sleeves, I delete those later on)

Screenshots

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 3:09 PM
You can have a 4th recolor option if you like
You enable it in TSRWs texture tab, then add a alpha 1 layer to your mask texture file and save it as dxt5interpolatedalpha
The alpha will work as 4th color
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 4:13 PM
I don't need four channels, I need three.
The shirt, the heart and the letters..

So I don't know what went wrong..

Mother Function
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 4:17 PM
Well on your mask you have 3 definite channels: red = main shirt, yellow = collar, magenta = heart.

Then you have the aqua as the letters which does not work. You would have to make that part part of the alpha. OR, you can make it a part of another channel (red, yellow, magenta).

Did that make sense?

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 4:56 PM
Okay, so if I make the letters yellow and delete the collar (since I don't want to use it) it will work?

I'll try that out.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 4:58 PM
Yes, that'll work.

Mother Function
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 6:52 PM
Just make sure to replace the yellow collar with red.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 9:20 PM
Hi there again.

I got another problem. The magenta is showing weird. When I put it on the mask and import the mask to TSRW, the part I colored magenta shows up weird.
It's blocky, bad pixellated and horrible.

Here's a pic:

Screenshots

Mother Function
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 9:40 PM
Hm when I look closely at the mask you uploaded earlier, it looks like the mask was a little pixelated too.

Sometimes I use the imaging programs shapes tool to replicate parts on a mask. The lines come out a lot neater that way.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 11:01 PM
Yea, it was a bit pixelated. But I used the original image again because of the many recoloring and resizing
the image does get a little bit more pixelated, but the same thing happened.
I'll see what I can do..

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 11:22 PM
Could you upload the mask? I have an idea, but I have no clue if it's a good one, so I'd rather not lead you round the bushes .

Mother Function
retired moderator
#14 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 11:24 PM
Uh oh...whitey had an idea. :p

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 11:19 AM
Okay, it's getting only worse. :p
I re-did the image, but now the letters are blocky too.

Here's a pic of the t-shirt, the mask and zoomed mask.

Screenshots

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:21 PM
Is that the size of the texture? 512x512 rather than 1024x1024? If so, that could be part of the cause... I was hoping for the dds though so it's easier to fiddle with .

Sockpuppet
#17 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 1:30 PM
it should be 1024x1024, especially if the multiplier is still 1024x1024.(wich indeed would explain the blurry textures)
Another thing is that you should avoid editing the DDS files several times, they often lose their quality when updating, saving, updating.
Start over with the original stencil texture
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 3:24 PM
o.O

Okay, maybe it's because of the .dds file.
I opened the mask in photoshop and it was the same like on the shirts.
But I saved it as a good image. So I guess the savingprogress made it the way it showed on the tees.

Wait, which .dds type do you need to save it? (8bpp,4bppetc)
Could that be the cause?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it is 1024x1024. I never change the size of the image.

Sockpuppet
#19 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 7:11 PM
DXT1noalphaRGB4bpp for a 3color outfit.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 1:20 PM
It's been a while since I updated this, but today I've started working again on the t-shirts.
I still have no luck. I re-did the mask, colored it the right way, saved it as a DXT1 no alpha rgb 4pp as Bloomsbase suggested, but the heart is still blurred.
Before I saved it the heart was colored fine, no blurring at all, but after I saved it and opened it again in Photoshop, the heart was blurred.

So I guess in the savingprocess the heart get's messed up.
I uploaded the .dds file (with the heart messed up, because it's after saving)

http://www.mediafire.com/?z79epyb59n2uuft

Sockpuppet
#21 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 3:23 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 23rd Apr 2011 at 3:40 PM.
The heart looks indeed blurry on the texturefile you uploaded.
Fiddled a bit with it, check if its again blurry in your texture editor.

http://www.2shared.com/file/gVvkP-pQ/ChildrenAdam.html

it could be your texture editor or DDSplugins.(had similar issues on my old pc)
If this keeps happening then try saving it ''for web'' as png 24bit and import that file in TSRW

Wat program are you using and wat system are you running?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 4:16 PM
I'm using adobe photoshop CS4 on a Windows 7 64bit system.

What did you do with the image? It's not blurred anymore.
Gosh, it's probably my pc. >_>

Hooray, it worked. Saved it for the web as a png 24bit and it's not blurred anymore.
What a relief!

Thank you!

Sockpuppet
#23 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 5:13 PM
i edited(fixed) the mask layer first, then saved as dxt1noalpha.
If you installed the nvidia plugin for Photoshop, did you install the 32 or 64bit?
You might have to reinstall or update it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 7:10 PM
I don't know, I'll check that.
I'm just glad that you've told me another way to save it.
As long as that's working, I'm fine with that.