Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 2:09 PM
Default Socks/Gloves/Makeup Not Displaying in CTU
Does anyone have any idea why socks and gloves might not be showing up in CTU?

It always displays 'No model loaded'. Essentially, anything that might be painted directly onto a Sim, but not require a unique model.

Appreciate any ideas.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 7:18 PM
Yeah, actually I gave the wrong message - it says, 'sorry, we could not find a mesh!' - even while using the included content. Same as when opening a package containing accessory socks.

I take it this is not a common problem?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 7:35 PM
It's a bug.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#4 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 7:37 PM
Stuff like that don't load in CTU or the old TSRW (I think the new version fixed that....)

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 7:47 PM
I see. That's too bad. Thanks much.
Inventor
#6 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 2:14 AM
You can always export a mesh with CTU (try nude meshes), import it in Milkshape and add your texture to it. That way you'll be able to edit and test the gloves/socks without opening the game to see how the texture looks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 3:45 AM
Much obliged, Anubis.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 2:16 PM Last edited by whiterider : 20th Sep 2010 at 6:32 PM.
EDIT: Ok so, um, because I'm stupid, I failed to mention this... if you're cloning in debug mode for some reason, don't clone with this fix applied. If you're not in debug mode, should be fine.

Ok, I'm working on a fix for this. I've got it working for socks, so other skintight accessories shouldn't be hard; however I'm struggling with the makeup because, for me, the makeup works fine. Is it a particular type of makeup that doesn't work for others, or a particular age/gender? I haven't checked everything, but bugs come in batches, so most likely if, say, one of you can tell me that a child lipstick doesn't work, then it'll turn out that none of the child lipsticks work and they all need to be fixed etc. If you can tell me what needs fixing, then the process of fixing will be significantly speeded up.

Update

Ok, the attached file should fix all the skintight accessories. No makeups included as I still haven't found any that don't work.

Instructions for using the file:
  • Download and save anywhere you like. DO NOT put it in Mods/Packages - it's a default replacement for the VPXYs, which seem to be broken; however they work fine ingame, and I don't know what would happen if you used my "fixed" VPXYs ingame; and as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Open CTU, and go File -> Options
  • In the Custom Packages section hit Add..., and browse to my file. Hit Open, then OK to close the Options window.
  • Close CTU and restart it. All skintight accessories should now have working previews.

Known Issues:
  • There are no adult skintones. The 3D previews for fixed items won't show a skintone on adults - the body is pure black. I don't know why this is, nor do I know how to fix it, I'm afraid. It's not too much of a problem; it just means that you can't see skin shadows, and that translucent items will look a bit weird in preview.
  • There's a little bit of gender-bending. The red leather gloves for men will show up on a female body in the 3D preview. They share a VPXY instance with the female version of these gloves... I have no idea how this works ingame, but in CTU it causes a bodyswap. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Exporting the meshes is a bit pointless. I dunno why you'd want to do mesh edits on a skintight accessory really, but using this fix, extracting the meshes in CTU will just give you lod1 of the nude top, bottom, and shoe meshes for your chosen age and gender. You won't get other LODs, and you will probably get extra GEOMs that you don't need. without this fix, CTU will just give an error if you try to export the meshes.
  • afAccessoryGlovesLong_fitted doesn't work. I keep getting an error when I clone this item - it's the solid blue elbow-length gloves. You can ignore the error and hit continue, but you won't get a 3D preview. Please tell me whether or not you guys get the same problem.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CTU Fix.rar (465 Bytes, 40 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 2:39 PM
Actually, makeups work fine currently - not sure why I'd included that.

Thanks, whiterider! That's pretty awesome! Very helpful for us sockophiles. I'll give it a run.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 2:44 PM
Brilliant, white. You are rocking me. I am compiling underlayers like mad.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 5:15 PM
Compiling underlayers... definitely sounds dirty.

Delphy's working on a much more elegant solution to this as part of a CTU update, but my fix can be a stopgap, at least.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 3:52 PM
If it's any help, switching an accessory's type to body will display the skin.

So, must be something hitching in the accessory process.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 4:13 PM
EA's VPXYs for accessories point to non-existent meshes. There must be something which redirects the game to use the nude mesh in place of those non-meshes, but I dunno what, and neither does CTU.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 7:55 AM
ooh exciting! this should make, creating tattoos as sock overlays a lot easier... I am used to making them without a visual though...

*EDIT*

Well it beats having no view of it at all... but it's not great either