Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 2:06 AM
Default Store Items editing
I paid for store items, and i hate the textures, can i legally edit them for my own personal use? how?

please help
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 3:21 AM
Most files are protected and cant be opened.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 3:09 PM
that is really disappointing i wont buy anything else
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:18 AM
I've edited store items for my personal use. Extract the package then use CTU and/or S3PE like you normally would.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:20 AM
It's not as easy as that - the files are DBPPs rather than DBPFs, which can't be opened directly in CTU or s3pe.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 8:23 AM
There are community tools available that will decrypt store files, but you need to look for them...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned
#7 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 3:22 AM Last edited by tjstreak : 28th Jul 2010 at 3:35 AM.
You might look for the compressorizer to decrapify the files. However, the mesh files do not have morphs so they will not work with a lot of the standard tools if you want to edit meshes. About all you can do with ease is edit textures and some the categories.

As for the legality: modifying the files for your own almost certainly constitutes fair use. However, using the compressorizer to defeat the copy protection probably is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Fair use may or may not be a defense to the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. see, eg, Storage Tech. Corp. v. Custom Hardware Eng'g & Consulting, Inc., 421 F.3d 1307, 1318-19 (Fed. Cir. 2005)

As a practical matter, if you do not distribute the files, no one will know that you messed with them, or much care. Of course, if you distribute them, you have other problems (like copyright infringement.)

I have also noticed that the items made by the favored artiists at a certain pay site cannot be opened with the tool developed by that pay site. So you have the paysite developing a tool to edit packages, but which will not open the files appearing on that paysite. It sort of reminds me of a city I lived in where they widened the streets to speed up traffic, then installed a bunch of lights to slow it down again!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 9:42 PM
as it turns out i am not savvy enough for any of this, i wouldn't even know where to look, but thank u, and i understand, not wanting to incriminate your selves by telling too much