Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 7:07 AM
Default Looking for: An idiots guide to modifying a head accessory (Or someone with a lot of patience)
Ok, keeping this short and sweet: I want to modify a head accessory. Namely, NewSea's Rabbit Ear accessory. It hovers a bit behind and way above the sims heads, I want to bring it closer to the center and right on top of the sims heads, so I can use all my hairstyles with it.

Now, I'm looking for a tutorial with a step-by-step guide to modifying accessories. I'm a TOTAL N00B when it comes to this, it'll be my first time attempting anything like this. I have no programs and have no clue where to start, hence the whole 'Idiots Guide' thing...

If you've made it this far through the post without losing patience and clicking your browsers 'Back' button, thank you kindly, I hope you can help me, lol.

(PS: If this thread seems familiar I created a similar one months ago asking for help, but due to computer and TS3 game problems I temporarily swore off custom content and neglected to pursue the accessory modification.)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yearoftherabbit
Ok, keeping this short and sweet: I want to modify a head accessory. Namely, NewSea's Rabbit Ear accessory. It hovers a bit behind and way above the sims heads, I want to bring it closer to the center and right on top of the sims heads, so I can use all my hairstyles with it.

Now, I'm looking for a tutorial with a step-by-step guide to modifying accessories. I'm a TOTAL N00B when it comes to this, it'll be my first time attempting anything like this. I have no programs and have no clue where to start, hence the whole 'Idiots Guide' thing...

If you've made it this far through the post without losing patience and clicking your browsers 'Back' button, thank you kindly, I hope you can help me, lol.

(PS: If this thread seems familiar I created a similar one months ago asking for help, but due to computer and TS3 game problems I temporarily swore off custom content and neglected to pursue the accessory modification.)
I'm not sure if this tutorial will help you but it seems on topic

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430831
Forum Resident
#3 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 4:02 PM
This can be done rather easily if you know what to do . I would open the mesh up in milkshape and check to see what bone assignments it has, it should probably have only the head joint or something like that. You would want to change the joints to 50% the original joint and 50% the hat grip joint. Then put it back into the package, that way you can use AWT's hat sliders on it to get it to fit just right with any hair. You can use the tutorial from above to help understand what I'm saying a little better since it's your first time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 6:42 PM
@orangemittens: I checked out that tutorial, but can't for the life of me figure it out...Perhaps I'm too stupid and/or new to this that it just seems way over my head right now, lol.

@omegastarr: Thanks for the tips, but I can't open the package in milkshape. It's a .package file, not a .sims3pack, would that make a difference?

Once again, thanks for the patience guys, I appreciate the help!

EDIT: Forgot to add that I looked for AWT's hat sliders, but can't find it. All the links seem to be broken and/or require me to log in to my blogger account (which I do not have and haven't had to do yet) in order to view the page...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 7:00 PM
The mesh isn't the .package file. You need to extract the mesh first - open the .package file in CTU, then follow -Mallow-'s tutorial.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 7:17 PM
@whiterider: Ok, thanks...Boy, do I feel stupid...

Another question: Could I edit the accessory using s3pe?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 7:19 PM
Yes: just open the .package file, extract the GEOM resources, do your thing, then replace them in S3PE.
However, be aware that you would only be able to install either the original or the modified version that way - not both at once.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 7:48 PM
I can't get CTU to even open for me. I meet all the requirements and have .NET 2.0 and it still won't open the program...

Is there a way for me to edit without having to go into CTU?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 8:31 PM
Another question: I was able to export the geoms to my desktop with s3pe, but can't open them with MilkShape. I have MS version 1.8.5 (or whatever the newest version is) and it will only let me open .ms3d files. Do I need the paid version to open other file types? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?
Alchemist
#10 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 11:27 PM
Another question: I was able to export the geoms to my desktop with s3pe, but can't open them with MilkShape. I have MS version 1.8.5 (or whatever the newest version is) and it will only let me open .ms3d files. Do I need the paid version to open other file types? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?
I think you need the plugins for MS that Wes made...they're here:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...t=357403&page=1

All versions of MS are pay versions. If you have the trial version it may not let you save anything...a couple people had that issue awhile back.

I'd help with the other question but I mesh objects and don't have a clue :P
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#11 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 11:35 PM
You need to import and export Sims 3 meshes; you can't open them directly in Milkshape. I can't swear that the free version of Milkshape lets you import/export, but it's worth a try:

Download Wes Howe's Milkshape plugins: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=357403

Put a copy of all the .dll files in your "C:\Program Files\MilkShape 3D 1.8.5" folder. (In a 64-bit system it's "C:\Program Files (x86)\MilkShape 3D 1.8.5" folder.)

Start Milkshape and do File / Import / Q-Mesh Sims 3 GEOM Importer V0.16 - by Wesley Howe

When you're done with the mesh, export it with File / Export / Q-Mesh Sims 3 GEOM EXporter V0.16 - by Wesley Howe

Notes: Make sure the meshes end with .simgeom before importing. When importing, you'll probably get an error saying it can't find the skeleton/bone file. Just ignore that. You may also get a message saying "hashed bone not in skeleton". Almost always you can ignore that too.

Orangemittens beat me to it!
Alchemist
#12 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Orangemittens beat me to it!
Well...but your answer is far more comprehensive and helpful
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 2:47 AM
Yeah, I have all the plug-ins installed for MS and downloaded/installed everything from -Mallow-'s tutorial, but still no luck.

I think I may need the paid version of MS, which sucks because I can't pay for anything right now.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really wish I could have at least had something to show for all your work.
:lovestruc
Alchemist
#14 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 3:49 AM
Yeah, I have all the plug-ins installed for MS and downloaded/installed everything from -Mallow-'s tutorial, but still no luck.

I think I may need the paid version of MS, which sucks because I can't pay for anything right now.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really wish I could have at least had something to show for all your work.
:lovestruc
I think those plugins should work whether you have the trial version or the registered version. Are you sure you installed them correctly? The only difference I can tell between the registered version and the trial version is that after the trial is up if you haven't registered your MS will stop being able to save things.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 5:41 AM
Without the license it won't let me import the Q-Mesh Sims 3 GEOM Importer V0.16 - by Wesley Howe. I tried multiple times and each time I get a little pop-up window that says 'importing available to licensed copies only' or something along those lines.

I'm sure I've installed the plug-ins correctly, since it appears on my Import list, but MS just won't let me import it.
Alchemist
#16 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 11:56 AM
Without the license it won't let me import the Q-Mesh Sims 3 GEOM Importer V0.16 - by Wesley Howe. I tried multiple times and each time I get a little pop-up window that says 'importing available to licensed copies only' or something along those lines.

I'm sure I've installed the plug-ins correctly, since it appears on my Import list, but MS just won't let me import it.
Hmm...this sounds like what others have reported with MS also...the trial version is extremely limited. The only free alternative to MS I know of that works for Sims3 is Blender. There are two GEOM plugins for it but the one that's stickied may be outdated by this point and the other is still in testing. It's too bad you don't want to create objects because the Blender plugins for that are in perfect working order and it's all completely free. For GEOM-related things you may have to wait until you can get your MS registered.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#17 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 1:43 PM
It's really a shame that the MS trial is so limited, since it means you can't really test it out for the purposes you intend it for. As I recall it used to be pretty much unlocked during the trial - the restrictions may have been added in the last few years.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 8:00 PM
Oh well, thanks anyways guys! Sorry to waste your time like this.

I guess that's what I get for being selfish/greedy and wanting more than what I have, eh?

Thanks again, though, you guys are great. ^_^
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#19 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 8:22 PM
We all started out asking for help! Just paying it forward.