Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 12:50 AM Last edited by MajesticUnicorn : 19th Aug 2018 at 2:10 AM.
Default Building/Buying a Laptop for the Sims 3.
Hello, so I have a few questions regarding the sims 3 and what type of laptop would be able to run it as well as all of its expansions and some stuff packs. A few years back I did some pretty extensive research when it came to building a PC for the game, but unfortunately I had a change of plans. I know that many people say its better to have a PC for the game, but I'm currently a high school junior, so I plan on buying or building a laptop that can run the sims 3, expansions, and a few stuff packs so that I have a more portable computer for college as well. I know some of the main components for what makes the game run more smoothly are ram, graphics card, storage, and sometimes ssd. But, I do have a few more questions:

- Do you any of you recommend a specific brand that is more known for having good results with the game?
- What graphics card would you recommend?
- Are there any other specs I didn't list that I should also pay attention to?
- Is there already a pre-made laptop you recommend or have used that handles the game well?
- About how much should I be looking to spend for a good laptop, either pre-made, or custom built?

I want to note that I do wish to play the game on high settings as well.
I also live in the US, so that'll help with the pricing advice.

Thank you
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 5:45 AM
On the graphics card question, I would insist upon an Nvidia 1050 mobile or higher within that series (or a 960M or higher in the previous series). The new but lower end cards in the newest series, these can show up as 1030s or as M130s and M150s, cause no end of trouble for players because they don't have the required throughput. TS3 doesn't really need the all of the GPU power that the 1050s and higher provide, but you won't likely find older cards of suitable strength on off the shelf laptops today.

If you want to go custom build instead of off the shelf, you'll probably end up needing to up the budget to at least $1,200 or higher. Laptop components are more expensive than their desktop counterparts. But yes, for off the shelf somewhere in the $800s would be the current starting point.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 9:57 PM
Thank you, @nitromon and @igazor, for the great advice. So far, I've been looking around and found this laptop that has had pretty good reviews:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire7

The specs are listed as this:

Windows 10 Home
1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB Dedicated Memory
16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9, IPS
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 11:38 PM
Not a tech person so my imput may not be helpful......but I am going to say something anyway. Your operating system and all the bloatware that comes with a brand name machine will be on the SSD drive. That will cut down the actual usable space. I found 256 to be too small and had to install to the larger drive. Being computer illiterate I needed help which the good people here gave me, but it isn't the best solution. Defeats the purpose of having an SSD drive really. I am going to replace it later this year with a larger SSD drive as they seem reasonably priced here (Australia) now. So my thought is buy a machine with a larger SSD drive and save the future hassle. You will need more space, particularly if you are going to play other games!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 5:25 AM Last edited by igazor : 20th Aug 2018 at 7:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm a little behind on the new specs, perhaps someone else can chime in, but there's a couple of things that bothered me.

- Intel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz: While I'm sure 8 core is much better than 4 cores like my CPU, but that just means multi-tasking. Does the actual frequency still matter to performance? Especially when TS3 is at most dual core game. I have a 2.6gHz that turbos at 3.4-3.6gHz and I find it running quite well. However, when I turn off the turbo and run it at 2.6 only, I feel it is slow. That could just be a drop from 3.4 to 2.6, but... 2.2 seems really slow even if it turbos and around 3.0. But again, I could be wrong. New tech these days may have different emphasis and maybe freq isn't as important.

I don't have any personal experience with these processors either. Hexacore is 6 cores though. And this one turbos to 4.1 GHz. It's probably fine, I don't think I've ever seen a player on an i7 just under the recommended 2.4 GHz non-turbo speeds report issues that those on slower processors have had in the past (like bottlenecks and the game just not launching) except those on the otherwise much lower powered U-series processors. It's likely going to get pretty warm in there though on long game sessions. Would like to hear if others have had reports or experience that suggests otherwise.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
It's likely going to get pretty warm in there though on long game sessions. Would like to hear if others have had reports or experience that suggests otherwise.

it's not made by Apple, it won't melt. Or explode. It's a bit thin (why pretend than laptop needs to be like tablet or so?) and may need careful maintenance more often than something more reasonable built, but cooler should help.

Personally I'd ask the supplier about possibility of Windows Not Malicious Edition installation if the hardware allows (W7 is still buyable).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 2:15 PM
I feel I'm qualified to speak for this seeing as I bought a new laptop this week - I got an i7-8750, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1050Ti for €1070, a very good deal, and you can get similar setups with an MX-series card for €200 less. The MX series is laptop-specific and that means it'll be compact and efficient first, and powerful second. Don't expect to be able to do serious gaming unless you have a 1000-series, which in the case of a laptop will be similar to a 900-series for PC. I specifically made it a point to get a 1050 as it's available in a large amount of laptops, and because it's basically the cheapest thing one can still reasonably call suitable for gaming. My 6-year old laptop with a GT 650M will run TS3 fine with most expansions, assuming you're willing to settle for Medium-High settings, but Medium-High is not done anno 2018.

In short, yeah, you're looking at a very solid laptop right there. Those are the best specs you can reasonably assume to find right now without spending a ridiculous amount of money....I know there's >€3000 laptops out there but you're not getting €3000, you're getting €1200 with a few bits tacked on.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 4:03 PM Last edited by igazor : 20th Aug 2018 at 4:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
it's not made by Apple, it won't melt. Or explode. It's a bit thin (why pretend than laptop needs to be like tablet or so?) and may need careful maintenance more often than something more reasonable built, but cooler should help.

I have never had any overheating issues with any of my Macs. Have no idea where that was coming from or why it was necessary to even mention. TS3 for Mac is a mess thanks to EA failing to port this one iteration of the game into the Mac OS properly, that's not on Apple, and anyone who purchases a Mac with the intent to be running TS3 should be preparing for Bootcamp so they can run the Windows version of the game or else they will very likely not be happy with the experience. Anyone who purchases a super lightweight MacBook (not Pro) or MacBook Air should know that they aren't meant for these games, they are meant to be lightweight and ultra portable.

What I was referring to was the need for this particular H-series processor to constantly be on turbo while the game is running to achieve high enough processor speeds.
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MajesticUnicorn
Thank you, @nitromon and @igazor, for the great advice. So far, I've been looking around and found this laptop that has had pretty good reviews:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire7

The specs are listed as this:

Windows 10 Home
1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB Dedicated Memory
16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9, IPS

I'd wait until Nvidia release the GTX 1160 laptops if I were you, check here and I heard the Nvidia GTX 1180 will be release by the end of this month, don't get the Nvidia 10 series just yet, the newer generation is coming..

Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 5:31 AM
(head explodes)

Okay, not really. But he does address the seemingly unprecedented turbo boost levels on the still very new 8750H processor at the very end of that video.
Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2018 at 8:36 AM
For most of your college work, you really don't need a powerful computer. You will need a good word processing program like Word. The cost of a Microsoft Office program is dwarfed by the cost of college and books. You also want solid internet.

Gaming is a different story. When I went to an I-7 processor from a weaker one, it made all the difference in the world in the Sims. VR is the wave of the future. You probably want something that is Oculus ready. Check the Oculus website for compatible computers. While the Sims currently does not use VR, I can see it in the future. (The Sims 5?)

Plan on using your laptop for the next four years -- while you are in college. That is an eternity for a computer because the technology is moving so fast.

BTW, I got an Acer I7 laptop about seven years ago. It generally has held up well and does gaming well (but not as well as my expensive desktop).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 10:23 PM
Thank you everyone! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been busy with back to school. Since I don't plan on buying the laptop until around the spring of 2020, I'll keep in mind of @PapaEmy advice to wait to check out the GTX 1160 laptops and I'll continue to check out more laptops that are to come as well as the laptops that were recommended by a few of you