Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2019 at 3:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Add Grim Reaper to family?
I made a sim I wanted to marry Grim Reaper... I added him to the family but he always disappears. Is there any way to permanently have him a part of the family without disappearing?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st May 2019 at 4:01 PM
Taken from Sims Fandom Game Guide:

"The following actions are known to corrupt your game files. They should never be attempted, unless you are just happy to have a broken game. Actions taken here will not only corrupt your game, but will also corrupt all your neighborhoods, existing and future. In short: Do not try this at all!

Interact with universal NPCs, such as the Grim Reaper, Mrs. CrumpleBottom, Therapist, Pollination Technicians, ideal plantsim, etc. in any way outside of their in-game designated purposes.

NPCs that are not safe to play as and/or to add to your household because they are objects in your game's objects.package file: Messing with these may result in having to reinstall the entire game."

Grim Reaper is on that list.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st May 2019 at 4:58 PM
Please don't.
Though you can always go to the CAS and play in Debug Mode so you can make a Sim use the Grim Reaper outfit. It'll not be the same, but at least there are less (I can't confirm anything) chances of game corruption.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st May 2019 at 5:23 PM
Unfortunately, by adding Grim Reaper to your household you managed to corrupt your neighborhood, as well as some of your installation files. You should probably reinstall your game and start fresh, or at least replace the objects.package with the unmodified, original one.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st May 2019 at 5:50 PM
So far I haven't had any issues. How do I replace the objects file?
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st May 2019 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Matotty
Please don't.
Though you can always go to the CAS and play in Debug Mode so you can make a Sim use the Grim Reaper outfit. It'll not be the same, but at least there are less (I can't confirm anything) chances of game corruption.

I tried that but the person's hair sticks out the back of the hood even if you make them bald and you can see part of their face.

Edit: I found this sim and I think I'll give him a try.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2019 at 7:16 PM
To make your own Grim Reaper in CAS, you can use Bink13y's headless sim. That way the sim's head won't stick out through the reaper's hood.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/86687/headless-sims.html
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st May 2019 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
To make your own Grim Reaper in CAS, you can use Bink13y's headless sim. That way the sim's head won't stick out through the reaper's hood.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/86687/headless-sims.html

Thank you! I will try it. I moved the family out and deleted them from the family bin and remade the sim, so hopefully my game will be okay.
Alchemist
#9 Old 21st May 2019 at 8:38 PM
I haven't tried it, but wouldn't Bink13y's invisible sim be better? http://www.modthesims.info/d/75530/invisible-sim.html

And@sim2ultralover5, now someone is going to tell you that you should never delete sims from the bin. At least, start a new hood.
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...ding_corruption
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st May 2019 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I haven't tried it, but wouldn't Bink13y's invisible sim be better? http://www.modthesims.info/d/75530/invisible-sim.html

And@sim2ultralover5, now someone is going to tell you that you should never delete sims from the bin. At least, start a new hood.
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...ding_corruption

Yikes, you guys are making me nervous now. I've deleted sims from the bin numerous times over the years with no problems... I may start a new hood but I will see if anything seems to be out of the ordinary first.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st May 2019 at 11:08 PM
If you want your game to explode into a firey ball I guess.

never make universal sims selectable, they are not actually sims but objects in the installation files. Yes you can have baby with so long as you do not make selectable, they have a template. Do not move in, do not touch them in any non-game ways, do not make selectable.

Do not delete sims
do not delete graves
do not move occupied (living or dead sims) lots into the bin
do not move sims between hoods

Good, these are the things to be nervous about. The worst things for your game are not mods but buttons/actions left by EA. There is immediate corruption whether you see it or not. The first is misread data and this may seem to cause no issue but it grows and spreads. Sims do not delete fully and leave bits behind, that left behind data looks for a place to attach itself too. If a deleted adult sim attaches to another adult sim you might not notice anything, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. If it attaches to a toddler you might notice when the toddler gets adult wants. An obvious one would be a deleted romance sim attaches to toddler and toddler gets a woohoo 3 sims want.

If your object packages are read-only this would have stopped you adding him, because if you had it would be a full reinstall.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#12 Old 21st May 2019 at 11:11 PM
The thing is sims2ultralover5 that you might very well be able to play any and all your hoods for quiet sometime without any issue, but when you least expect it it'll crash on you so that all you've played will have been for naught.

If you've done anything, anything at all, that'll cause corruption in your game it's of my opinion that it's best to start over before you've have long played hood that you'll be sad about loosing.

I don't know if this means just the hood you're playin or if it affects all hoods so that you'd need to do a complete reinstall. I like to err on the side of caution so if it were me I'd do a complete reinstall.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st May 2019 at 11:33 PM
I think that depends ^ Some people can use Hood Checker and keep the hood going along for some time. So long as you know it has these issues and are ready for it to one day stop loading/sims to vanish, you can keep playing it. Most of the corruption will only be at hood level, its only the move in of universals that can fry the installation.

Also if you play vampires and have Crumplebottom in your game you need Creature Fixes since if a vampire bites her its also goodnight installation because she is also an object sim along with penguin, stinky skunk, Therapist, Social Bunny.

I was watching Sim Supply and notice he is getting a pop up saying his sim is bringing home a 'friend' from work, and the picture shows Social Bunny but he isn't in the car and does not come home. I really don't know what to make of it but it makes me twitch.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:21 AM
There's two kinds of corruption.
Deleting sims causes neighborhood corruption.
Messing about with the universal sims causes corruption in the game installation files.
Neighborhood corruption will stay confined to one neighborhood (unless you move sims from one neighborhood to another, in which case both become corrupted). Restoring from a backup made before the corruption occurred will allow the game to continue uninterrupted. Game corruption will exist in every neighborhood, and the only cure for it is a repair/reinstall.
It's a crapshoot how long it takes either kind of corruption to actually interfere with your gameplay. It could go up in flames overnight or it could limp along for ages with only minor problems. It hasn't happened in awhile, because most people know about this now, but it used to be commonplace, when I first started using this board, for people to say blithely that they've done this or that corrupting thing with no ill-effects, only to come creeping back a few weeks later with a tale of horror.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#15 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:52 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
If it makes you feel better, I created a safe, playable Grim. https://sunradersimblr.tumblr.com/p...e-playable-grim

Thank you for uploading that! I made my own in game using the invisible sim, but the back of the head still sticks out even when bald and "invisible". Maybe I missed an invisible hair/head that was in the download when making the sim in CAS? Also, is there anyway to get the grim reaper outfit for "all outfits"? Since it's not in Bodyshop, I can't edit that.

Edit: I re-read your download and see you made for all outfits. I will download!
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd May 2019 at 4:47 AM
NPC Uniques (is their internal name) have normal neighbourhood character data except they don't get or use a dna file. Their character file is part of the objects.package so if you do anything like change appearance or outfit, give one a mobile phone or move one into a family to cause the game to save their character file it will corrupt the objects.package. Setting the objects.package to read only does safeguard against that but Windows UAC if active could cause the objects.package to get re-saved and used from elsewhere (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore) anyway.

To play one you need to have an override of their character file, then you can change appearance etc. and the game will save the override instead of the objects.package. They are always used by their GUID in game so their family number doesn't stop them from functioning as they should.
I have added some in A&N and learned (the hard way) the game does treat them differently to a normal sim, in the objects.package their face mesh does not link. The CRES, GMND, SHPE and GMDC all link by group 0xFFFFFFFF but that is not their group number, if you extract and package one from the objects.package and place it in your download folder the sim will have no face. Conversely if you create a sim and change the group numbers to add to the objects.package you must not link the meshes or it will not have a face. For testing in the download folder the mesh(s) must link, but when ready to be compiled into the objects.package the mesh(s) must be unlinked.

Many of them don't have normal behaviours nor all of the character data (in A&N they all do) so attempting to move one in can be disappointing, like the original post says Grim always just disappears. You're putting core game files at risk for nothing worthwhile.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Jun 2019 at 4:48 PM
Default Grim Reapper added to household....
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Taken from Sims Fandom Game Guide:

"The following actions are known to corrupt your game files. They should never be attempted, unless you are just happy to have a broken game. Actions taken here will not only corrupt your game, but will also corrupt all your neighborhoods, existing and future. In short: Do not try this at all!

Interact with universal NPCs, such as the Grim Reaper, Mrs. CrumpleBottom, Therapist, Pollination Technicians, ideal plantsim, etc. in any way outside of their in-game designated purposes.

NPCs that are not safe to play as and/or to add to your household because they are objects in your game's objects.package file: Messing with these may result in having to reinstall the entire game."

Grim Reaper is on that list.

CHRIS, is this true with your Reaper also ??? Have her added in a household and so far no problems.
Scholar
#19 Old 7th Jun 2019 at 3:33 PM
No, any and every NPC in A&N can be interacted with the following notes.
Changes can't be saved on built in NPCs like Grim Reaper so you won't be able to successfully change appearance, outfits or give jewellery.

Human Statues, Tour Guides, Fire Dancers - Override pie menu when not on the job which enables them to be normal sims but prevents them from being recognised by some things

Boss NPCs - Get max relationship toward any sim they interact with (to enable them to flirt with employee's spouse), the relationship doesn't matter but they also get all the memories that go with it.

Social Bunny - Don't work well at all, can't be visitors but should (but usually don't) function normally if they are moved in.

Controller type NPCs - Remote Control Cars, Bird, Penguin, Robot and Vicky Controllers
Don't have 3D resources. In A&N they have an NPC number (same value as Rebecah uses on her animal controllers) by which they are prevented from any interaction, ignored for privacy etc.