Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 12:23 AM
Default Mod problems. Please someone help!
Hello people,

I just discovered this website and so far I'm loving it no problems. But I tried to download the body "Body Hair V4" for the Sims 4 and I hit open but it opens a notepad with all these symbols, I put it in the mod folder because a person on another forums said to hit save as in the notepad and name it "resource.cfg" and its not saving as a packaged file. I am extremely confused and have been working on this for over 6 hours strait. Also I tried to download an article of clothing and it is in CAS but its invisible... If anyone has anything that can possibly help me please respond.

Thank you so much
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grizzbear
Hello people,

I just discovered this website and so far I'm loving it no problems. But I tried to download the body "Body Hair V4" for the Sims 4 and I hit open but it opens a notepad with all these symbols, I put it in the mod folder because a person on another forums said to hit save as in the notepad and name it "resource.cfg" and its not saving as a packaged file. I am extremely confused and have been working on this for over 6 hours strait. Also I tried to download an article of clothing and it is in CAS but its invisible... If anyone has anything that can possibly help me please respond.

Thank you so much

(I'm assuming it's this one here)

It's not a mod, just a piece of CC. I just downloaded it to take a look and you don't need to open it. It's just like installing any other piece of CC:

1. Download the .rar file.
2. Extract the .rar file (using WinRAR or Unarchiver if you're on a Mac like me)
3. It should extract as a folder with individual .package files in it, copy and paste this into your mods folder and you're good to go.

As for the clothing not showing up in CAS, it sounds like you need the mesh. Without the mesh, an item won't work. Check back on the download page for that item and you should find a link to let you find the mesh you need.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the site!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Natashenka
(I'm assuming it's this one here)

It's not a mod, just a piece of CC. I just downloaded it to take a look and you don't need to open it. It's just like installing any other piece of CC:

1. Download the .rar file.
2. Extract the .rar file (using WinRAR or Unarchiver if you're on a Mac like me)
3. It should extract as a folder with individual .package files in it, copy and paste this into your mods folder and you're good to go.

As for the clothing not showing up in CAS, it sounds like you need the mesh. Without the mesh, an item won't work. Check back on the download page for that item and you should find a link to let you find the mesh you need.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the site!

Hi! Thank you very much for responding. Is there any other way to "extract" it? it seems complicated and I don't know if I trust it. Also do you know any other good places to get CC?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 4:01 AM
WinRAR is great, been using it for years. You can also try 7zip to extract it if you want. If you're on windows then just go to the file location of the cc you downloaded, right click it, and select extract here(Winrar). Tumblr is always a good place to get cc. Just search 'the sims 4 cc' and a bunch of simblrs should show up. You can also try sims4updates.net (most lead you to thesimsresource.com (lots of ads & 10 second wait) though)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 9:59 AM
Moving to Help. Please use the subforums and don't dump everything in Discussion.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by koalaluvv
Winrar is great, been using it for years. You can also try 7zip to extract it if you want. If you're on windows then just go to the file location of the cc you downloaded, right click it, and select extract here(Winrar). Tumblr is always a good place to get cc. Just search 'the sims 4 cc' and a bunch of simblrs should show up. You can also try sims4updates.net (most lead you to thesimsresource.com (lots of ads & 10 second wait) though)

Hi thank you very much for responding! I have 7zip and I open up the program and it has the green bar going across and it finishes, but nothing is different it still says .rar so confused.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 7:41 PM
Hi thank you very much for responding! I have 7zip and I open up the program and it has the green bar going across and it finishes, but nothing is different it still says .rar so confused.

Hi its me again I have another thing to add. When I download it, sometimes it opens a notepad with a massive list of all these symbols and stuff, I save that notepad in my mods folder but its .rar, its not packaged. By the way I have windows 8.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 9:13 PM
@grizzbear, you're not supposed to open the .package in Notepad. After you download CC, it is eaither a .package or .zip.

Make Sure:
  1. Launch The Sims 4
  2. Open OPTIONS
  3. Enable Mods

If it is a .PACKAGE
  1. Go to your Sims 4 documents folder. [Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4]
  2. Place the .PAKCAGE file into the "mods" folder.

If it is a .ZIP or .RAR
  2. Extract the .ZIP or .RAR with WinRAR, 7Zip, or WinZip.****
  3. Place the extracted .PACKAGE into the "mods" folder.

**** = Not for script mods...

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simalary44
@grizzbear, you're not supposed to open the .package in Notepad. After you download CC, it is eaither a .package or .zip.

Make Sure:
  1. Launch The Sims 4
  2. Open OPTIONS
  3. Enable Mods

If it is a .PACKAGE
  2. Place the .PAKCAGE file into the "mods" folder.

If it is a .ZIP or .RAR
  2. Extract the .ZIP or .RAR with WinRAR, 7Zip, or WinZip.****
  3. Place the extracted .PACKAGE into the "mods" folder.

**** = Not for script mods...

Hi! Thank you very much for helping me! When I hit download it downloads then opens it in notepad.... It doesn't give me an option. But I read on another forum on mod the sims that you're supposed to hit file, save as, and click ALL FILES but when I go in my mod folder it says .rar at the end and I have no idea how to extract it Also if anyone can give me a step by step process to extract CC with 7zip please respond.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 9:43 PM
You may have it set up for opening those files in notepad. My comp always opens Adobe Light room when I put in a memory's tick. I still hhaven't gotten around to fixing it. It should be possible to right click on the file and choose options or something. I just wanted to drop this idea and then someone else might have the solution.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You may have it set up for opening those files in notepad. My comp always opens Adobe Light room when I put in a memory's tick. I still hhaven't gotten around to fixing it. It should be possible to right click on the file and choose options or something. I just wanted to drop this idea and then someone else might have the solution.

Hi! Thank you very much for helping! I tried to download something again and it opened in notepad. Not all of them do that I think the ones that are not packaged do that. When I click on files I don't see any option to change how its opened. I just see "New, Open..., Save, Save as, page setup, print, and exit. Thank you for responding I hope we find a solution! :
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:23 PM
I have 7zip and I open up the program and it has the green bar going across and it finishes, but nothing is different it still says .rar so confused.

Have you tried to pay attention when you're telling it where to save the extracted file TO?

By default it won't delete the .rar, that's why it is still there and still says .rar.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Have you tried to pay attention when you're telling it where to save the extracted file TO?

By default it won't delete the .rar, that's why it is still there and still says .rar.

Hi! Thank you very much for attempting to help! I looked back in the mods folder and there is just .rar at the end there is no packaged at all I will try it again and tell you what I see
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:39 PM
Yes, I just did it again and I directed it into my mods folder. Also I noticed that under the green bar saying it finished it shows all the files im trying to extract, and under all of them it says cannot open file as archive.... Is that bad?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 4:49 AM
Have you tried using a different archive program like suggested? Try to use WinRAR or WinZip. They both offer trial versions and are more recommended. (Except when using s4pe, but that's unrelated)

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Scholar
#17 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 6:56 AM
It also sounds like you saved the original .package file to always open with notepad. So the file association with .package files is now notepad.
You need to remove the file association to start with.

What operating system do you have? I can direct you how to change the file association back to default but i need to know your operating system.

What browser are you using? Im using chrome and as i hate the download manager i tell it to always ask me where to save the file.... I have a folder on desktop called Sims 4 Downloads.

Then i use either winzip/winrar to open the file and i extract to the same folder.

I then cut and paste files into my mods folder. I dont like to use the extract to as it takes to long to navigate to the mods folder. But that's just my personal choice.

Most browsers will (now) download directly to a folder in your documents folder called ironically Downloads.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 3:50 PM
If .package files, or .zip / .rar files are opening in notepad, you may need to change the file association. About 90% of the time, you won't have a program that deals with .package files. If you double clicked it and chose notepad, that might've been the issue. To "reset" .package file associations, try here for Windows 10 or here for Windows 8 / 8.1

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 7:04 PM
Have you tried using a different archive program like suggested? Try to use WinRAR or WinZip. They both offer trial versions and are more recommended. (Except when using s4pe, but that's unrelated)

Hi again! I use 7zip but I will download WinRAR and try that one and I will tell you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mummy_001
It also sounds like you saved the original .package file to always open with notepad. So the file association with .package files is now notepad.
You need to remove the file association to start with.

What operating system do you have? I can direct you how to change the file association back to default but i need to know your operating system.

What browser are you using? Im using chrome and as i hate the download manager i tell it to always ask me where to save the file.... I have a folder on desktop called Sims 4 Downloads.

Then i use either winzip/winrar to open the file and i extract to the same folder.

I then cut and paste files into my mods folder. I dont like to use the extract to as it takes to long to navigate to the mods folder. But that's just my personal choice.

Most browsers will (now) download directly to a folder in your documents folder called ironically Downloads.

I don't know what operating system I am using how would I find out that? I would appreciate you directing me. I am using Internet Explorer but I can use Chrome if you want me to. I use 7zip and its not working but like the other guy said I will download WinRAR and try to use that. Thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 7:08 PM
If .package files, or .zip / .rar files are opening in notepad, you may need to change the file association. About 90% of the time, you won't have a program that deals with .package files. If you double clicked it and chose notepad, that might've been the issue. To "reset" .package file associations, try here for Windows 10 or here for Windows 8 / 8.1

I am using windows 8 but I have been wondering if I should go to 10 because, well Windows 8 is horrible. Thank you for the link I will read that and attempt to try to discern it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 7:17 PM
I just read that link about changing your default program and it seems very useful. I did what it said, I have a "default programs" window opened and I clicked the first one which says "Make a program the default for all file types and protocols it can open." I clicked on that one and on the left there is a bar showing all my programs like "google chrome" "Internet Explorer" "File Explorer" "Reader" "One Note" "Outlook" and many more. But which one should I choose for it to work correctly???
Scholar
#23 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 11:46 PM
I don't know what operating system I am using how would I find out that? I would appreciate you directing me. I am using Internet Explorer but I can use Chrome if you want me to. I use 7zip and its not working but like the other guy said I will download WinRAR and try to use that. Thank you!

Your operating system is either Windows or IOS (Apple) or Linux

If you don't understand that question then you may need a technician to come and sort out your problems as i think you may make them worse.

No offence but if you are this unsure around changing and installing things you could totally mess up your system if you continue.....

EDIT: Just read that you found out your using windows 8

Try the following link for file association. Have someone a bit more knowledgeable with computers to help you with this. There is a package file extension in the list that you use. It has step by step instructions.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...indows-8-a.html
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 12:06 AM
Test out these directions.

.RAR & .ZIP Files

1.Open "Set Associations" in control panel. (You may have to look around for it)

2.After all your extensions and programs load, look for ".ZIP", or ".RAR". Click on it and in the top right, click "Change Program" (or "Change Default" or differently.

3.Change the program to WinRAR, WinZIP or 7zip.

.PACKAGE FILES

Note: Like I said, usually you won't have programs that need these.

1. On your desktop, make a blank file named "test.blaw"

2. Right-click on a piece of CC (.package file) and click "Open With..."

3. Click "Browse App On this PC" (or somewhere along those lines - different per Windows version)

4. Browse to "test.blaw" and accept the change.

5. Delete the "test.blaw" file, as this will remove any associations with .package files.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 1:37 AM Last edited by grizzbear : 18th Jan 2016 at 1:57 AM.
Test out these directions.

.RAR & .ZIP Files

1.Open "Set Associations" in control panel. (You may have to look around for it)

2.After all your extensions and programs load, look for ".ZIP", or ".RAR". Click on it and in the top right, click "Change Program" (or "Change Default" or differently.

3.Change the program to WinRAR, WinZIP or 7zip.

.PACKAGE FILES

Note: Like I said, usually you won't have programs that need these.

1. On your desktop, make a blank file named "test.blaw"

2. Right-click on a piece of CC (.package file) and click "Open With..."

3. Click "Browse App On this PC" (or somewhere along those lines - different per Windows version)

4. Browse to "test.blaw" and accept the change.

5. Delete the "test.blaw" file, as this will remove any associations with .package files.

Thank you so much. Your post was by far the most helpful I found set associations and set it to 7zip. Now I just hit download and then extract, and put the package files in my mods folder? Thank you I will try that.
GO TO THE NEXT PAGE OF THE FORUMS*****
Page 1 of 2