Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:02 PM
Default A question on modular stairs
I've been working on modular stairs,
and the actual meshing seems to go well. All works ingame as long as the staircase overrides the original (the holy smoke one)
As soon as I changed the guid's, though, stuff went wrong.
My stairs don't show up in the catalog. I gave the six object data each a new guid. When that didn't work I also made them match the proxy guid's in the raw data (doesn't seem to do anything either)

It probably doesn't help that I can't seem to find wich one is the master object data.
Is there something else I missed for getting this to show up in the catalog?
Advertisement
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:10 PM
I believe they're referenced in script files.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:24 PM
mm, I read something about that in a recolour by Cyclonesue (on tsr)
but newly meshed objects like christy6930's romanesque stair don't seem to need it
I can't really check that, though it's pay right now
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:27 PM
Can you point me to that download?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:32 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 5th Aug 2006 at 8:21 PM.
http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...uildmode/stairs
that one has both the recolours and the new meshed one
but it seems chrissy's also needs the script thing
better have another look at it

Ha! I did it
Stairs now show up. Thanks Jaxad.
Now, is there a way to register the modular stairs number and catalogtext?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 1:47 AM
there's no way of registering the script number as far as I know. at this point creators were just careful to go up by 100 from the existing ones and those next 100 would be theirs.
for example I know 70-90 is Brasstex, 500-599 cyclonesue, 600-699 chrissey6930

i'm sure there are others already in use, but it doens't matter that much as long as downloaders know what they are doing (given good instructions) they can actually use the next availble slot for the one they download as long as they leave plenty of room between the last Maxis one and the first they dl so that if we get new ones with an EP they can fit in between.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 7:19 AM
mmm, yes, I noticed that the actual numbers don't seem to matter much,
but I also notice that people don't really read first posts...
Field Researcher
#8 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
but I also notice that people don't really read first posts...

Oh, i so hear you on that!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 3:36 PM
Question...What is buildTipIndex?

This starts at I think 8. Brasstex stairs said to increase this by one for all stairs added, but I have some by aussietopenders, yclonesue and chrissey6930 and they don't say that. And they work. I've read a tut about making them by cyclonesue I think, but I don't believe that was addressed. Can anyone enlighten me?
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 3:52 PM
HugeLunatic,
my guess is that it controls the 'build tips' (the little popup you get that says how to place the stairs)
I'd only increase that index if I wanted custom build tips, and considering that we can't even get catalogs, I doubt build tips would work
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 5:10 PM
Hi Lethe

You're right. The Build Tip Index controls the text that explains how to place the object currently selected. For example: if you set Build Tip Index to zero, if I recall correctly, the explanatory text in game talks about adding the rail (bannister) to the stairs. Therefore, I leave this text alone (at 8) so that it always relays the "to place stairs..." text.

Sue