Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 9:00 PM
A Plea to all Custom Content Creators
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I didn't know where else to put it.

This is a plea to all custom content creators to please, please, PLEASE, make sure you indicate if a file needs an EP and what EP(s) it needs. I have wasted so much time installing things that I cannot use because I do not have a certain EP and it was not indicated anywhere that one was required for the object or whatever to work and then having to remove them. Even with using the filters provided by this site I still end up with things I can't use.

It is not only frustrating to download something only to find out it will not work because you don't have any of the EPs installed (never could get my Uni working on this pc again), it is also frustrating to have to go through the install, start game, quit game, uninstall, move files again (I have a system I use to keep up with what is installed and what isn't by moving files into folders), not to mention having to run defrag more than once a week due to having to delete/move files almost daily.

So I am begging all custom content creators to please, take the time to go back through your uploads, check them and indicate if an EP is needed and the specific EP(s) required. I'm reasonably certain I am not the only one who frequently experiences this and I know it would be greatly appreciated by everyone if you would take the time to do this. Thank you!!

*hopes she sounded polite as is her intent and not grouchy* :D
Advertisement
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 10:00 PM
Theres also the problem of forward compatibility.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
Theres also the problem of forward compatibility.

What is "forward compatibility"? It's a new one on me.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 3:05 AM
A hack made for an older ep that won't work in a newer one. Like this one: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=84605. Its made for and works under Uni, but it doesn't work under NL, OfB, FFS (probably), Pets (most definately), etc. Creators need to stay ontop of their own hacks, making sure they work in newwer eps/sps or alerting other members that they won't work.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 3:49 AM
Speaking of other EPs....Is there a nice tutorial or discussion somewhere that discusses the differences between the EPs, and what creators need to keep in mind?

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 4:43 AM
I do understand the problem with objects that require certain EP's, but even though the base for a clone is from either the base game or an EP, it doesn't necessarily means that it will only require that certain pack, some EP's change the code of old objects and will set new requirements for the cloned object!
And like Jaxad says, there's also the forward compatibility problems which no one can foresee, so it can be very hard to set an exact requirement for an object - especially if it's made a long time ago - Still I do understand your frustrations

Life's a game, so let's play!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:23 AM
to tell you the truth, I don't think we *can* set a specific requirement
there's ways of checking if a game is compatible with just the original (basically you need a seperate install of the Sims2) but unless you have several gaming computers, you can't check every single setup of the game.
Like frillen said, you can clone a desk that's been around since the original game, and it won't work in someone's game, simply cause somewhere along the line, an ep changed the code.
What most of us do is rely on the tests of downloaders and, where possible, make adjustments.
That's why it's always a good idea to read the replies people have posted to a download. If there a problem, someone might have reported it already.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 8:38 AM
I understand everything you've all said and have been aware of everything (code changes etc) except the term "forward compatibility". I do read the replies people have posted and I avoid those that have had problems at least until there is some indication that the problem has been fixed.

That's not what I'm talking about. What I am talking about are things that do not indicate needing an EP. I do not have any EPs installed and yet items that should work according to every indication (or lack of) do not work. An example would be the Nouveau fences and gate. The gate showed up in the base game yet the fences do not. Other fences do not show up at all and there is no indication that an EP is needed for them. Yet I have successfully installled a couple of Numenor's fences (I think they were Numenor's) and used them.

I understand that one can't always be exact in indicating which EPs are needed. The problem I'm having is when nothing is said about EPs being needed at all. Would it not simplify things to just indicate which EPs were in use at the time of creation so that others know? I think knowing what EPs were in use at the time of creation would go a long way to helping people. For instance, say you created something and at the time you were using the base game (duh lol), Uni and NL. By indicating those three were in use at that time someone who has say, base, Uni, NL and OFB would know that there is a possibility that a particular download may not work for them. Or say something was created with base, NL, and OFB. Those using base and Uni would know there is a chance the item will not work for them.

Am I making sense now? :D
Part-time Hermit
#9 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 8:46 AM
The problem is that object creators aren't often aware that simply cloning a base game object doesn't guarantee it's base game compatible. Numenor has an article about cloning and testing base game compatible objects (a sticky topic at this forum), but not all creators are aware of that. Cloning either base game compatible objects, or ones that are compatible with your combination of EPs is relatively easy, but then making sure that, for example, the object works for someone with the base game and only the University EP, that may be harder to tell.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 7:54 PM Last edited by Selene SilverWolf : 5th Aug 2006 at 8:04 PM. Reason: silly keyboard can't type
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
The problem is that object creators aren't often aware that simply cloning a base game object doesn't guarantee it's base game compatible. Numenor has an article about cloning and testing base game compatible objects (a sticky topic at this forum), but not all creators are aware of that. Cloning either base game compatible objects, or ones that are compatible with your combination of EPs is relatively easy, but then making sure that, for example, the object works for someone with the base game and only the University EP, that may be harder to tell.

Thank you! That is exactly why I am requesting that content makers be sure to indicate what EPs they were using at the time of creation. I realize those who are new to content creation may not be aware of the compatibility issues. Part of the reason I posted this was in the hope that they (or at least some) would read it and become aware.

I'm not asking that anyone try to make things compatible with each and every possible combination of EPs. Although that would be nice, I know it's not realistic. All I am asking is that they indicate which of -thier- combination of EPs at the time of creation were in use. I firmly believe this will help to reduce problems for others.

While not everyone is going to keep records of what was made with what EP(s), there may be those that do. These are the people I am asking to please, at some point, try to take the time to check thier past creations and indicate what EPs were in use, if possible. I have found that most creations made a year or more ago I don't have any problems with. It seems to be only the newer ones that indicate compatibility with the base game but without indicating compatability with any EPs. As with the Nouveau fences and gate. There is nothing to indicate an EP is needed anywhere on that thread. The only indication is the usual base game. The gate works with just the base game but the fences do not. The fact the fences don't work tells me that an EP is needed (probably Uni?). Yet nowhere in the description or in the posts is anything said about an EP being required. I'm not trying to pick on the creator of the fences and gate. I love them and wish I could use them. I'm just using the fences and gate as an example because they are the most recent I've had this problem with.

Since compatibitly is the issue, then, if someone has the exact same EPs that you have when you created something, then that person will know your creation will most likely work. If they are missing one or more of the same EP(s) or have one that you didn't have at the time of creation, then there is a chance that creation won't work with what that person has and that person should know to avoid that particular creation until they have whatever EP is missing.

Hopefully this thread will bring the compatibily issue to the attention of those who are not aware of it and reinforce the importance of indicating which EPs are in use at time of creation for those who have been creating longer.

Now that I have rambled on for so long and repeated myself a 1000 times, I'm going back to my game. :D