Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 5:49 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Bodyshop Error -- please help!
I've actually never used Bodyshop before, but when I tried to start it up for the first time it showed me the following error:
Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!
The application will now terminate...

I have no expansion packs, and Sims 2 runs just fine...Could someone please explain why it doesn't work, or a way to fix it? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 7:57 AM
That error is due to a conflict with an integrated Intel graphics card, often present in Dell computers. It is essentially unresolvable for people running TS2 or TS2 + University only. However, purchasing and installing any expansion pack after University (at this point Nightlife or Open for Business) would also fix the conflict. I suppose purchasing and installing a new graphics card would also work, but that's probably the most expensive and difficult fix...

There is a version of Body Shop that was released before the game that does not have the conflict, and it (and a starter pack of content for it) may be downloaded from download.com ... However, I had this problem myself before Nightlife, and when I tried getting the prerelease Body Shop that you can download, when I installed it on the computer on which I played the game, it made my game stop working entirely, and would not work again until I uninstalled the prerelease Body Shop and the game and reinstalled the game. Even with the prerelease Body Shop running on a different computer that did not have the game, I found it extremely limiting, as there's very little content available in the starter packs, and I was never able to find a way to get it to recognize new meshes. In addition, any skintones created in it will be wrong for babies (they'll have a face texture on the middle of their face, an eye in the middle of their forehead, etc.), so the best solution, if you can afford it, is to get one of the newer expansion packs.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 11:00 PM Last edited by EvilNekoFangirl : 10th Apr 2006 at 6:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
That error is due to a conflict with an integrated Intel graphics card, often present in Dell computers. It is essentially unresolvable for people running TS2 or TS2 + University only. However, purchasing and installing any expansion pack after University (at this point Nightlife or Open for Business) would also fix the conflict. I suppose purchasing and installing a new graphics card would also work, but that's probably the most expensive and difficult fix...

There is a version of Body Shop that was released before the game that does not have the conflict, and it (and a starter pack of content for it) may be downloaded from download.com ... However, I had this problem myself before Nightlife, and when I tried getting the prerelease Body Shop that you can download, when I installed it on the computer on which I played the game, it made my game stop working entirely, and would not work again until I uninstalled the prerelease Body Shop and the game and reinstalled the game. Even with the prerelease Body Shop running on a different computer that did not have the game, I found it extremely limiting, as there's very little content available in the starter packs, and I was never able to find a way to get it to recognize new meshes. In addition, any skintones created in it will be wrong for babies (they'll have a face texture on the middle of their face, an eye in the middle of their forehead, etc.), so the best solution, if you can afford it, is to get one of the newer expansion packs.

Thank you! That's very helpful. I don't have the money for a new graphic card, and I probably won't be getting an expansion pack any time soon, but it's good to know why it's not working, at least. And as far as getting the prerelease, I don't think I should risk it. Thanks again!