Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 12:36 PM
Default How many of you ...
... have a complete game (base game plus all the various DLCs up till now)?
If you wish to remain anonymous press the "agree" button. Please don't press it otherwise.

BTW - just curious.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 4:50 PM
Since the gumdrop fairies came out, does that mean they don't have them all?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 8:22 PM
I have never been a completist. I have all of 1. I have all of 2 other than 2-3 things. I have all of 3 other than K Perry. I have maybe 1/2-2/3 of 4.
Smeg Head
#4 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 8:25 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 9th Aug 2023 at 8:39 PM.
Food for chat, most certainly. But some folks might see this innocuous question as impossible to answer. Seeing as some believe that Maxis, since the release of TS4 and all subsequent packs and kits to date, have not provided a full and complete game. So you see the dichotomy in your question?

Though to answer the question in the spirit it is asked, I have all but the last pack and the last two kits. The book nook kit, it's a possible future purchase. But the grunge clothing kit, heck if you showed each clothing item to me individually I'd swear they were already in the game. Buy them again? I think not. And with the latest horses pack comes yet another dichotomy, the same contradiction as the one above actually, that it's named and priced as an EP when it's more truly resembling of a GP. So I won't spend any money on it till it goes way, way down in price. But alas I'll never have the full list, not unless they give the grunge kit away for free. And maybe not even then. I mean, I swear, they're in the game already!

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 8:34 PM
How much would it cost to buy all of the DLCs, I wonder?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 9:40 PM
I believe it's going on $1100 at this point.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 10:40 PM
I have most of the expacs for Sims1. Originally I had all but 1 expac for Sims2 and none of the stuff packs and whatnot, but now I have the Ultimate edition. Similarly for Sims3, I had all but 1 expansion for Sims3 but none of the stuff packs. I had some store items, but they were either free or I bought them using the free credits they used to put in Sims 3 boxes (I was so upset when they stopped doing that). Then I had all of them through special means, and then I got them all on Steam because I didn't feel like downloading anything and I was too lazy to bring out all my boxes. Nothing for Sims 4
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 11:24 PM Last edited by pico22 : 9th Aug 2023 at 11:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
How much would it cost to buy all of the DLCs, I wonder?

$1,094.33
This covers all of the expansions packs, game packs, stuff packs and kits up till now. The base game is, as we all know, free by now, but if you add its original price you will reach $1,154.32.

I did not do the maths. YouTube threw a video at me in which all of this was explained and dissected; the video made me wonder how many people own all DLCs and this is obviously the best place to ask.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
$1,094.33
... the video made me wonder how many people own all DLCs and this is obviously the best place to ask.
It's an interesting question given the ridiculous costs and it brings up another question: How many people who buy added content do so at full price or wait for sales (or steal)? I'm not sure this is the best place to ask since there have been many vocal critics of the game. Some of those are people who have not bought any games and who still participate in the forums for Sims 4. MTS skews negatively. On the other hand, the official forms seem to skew towards pro-fandom without much criticism. Maybe a less biased way to look at this would be to look at sales figures.

So many of the packs offer very little to the game. They are more like collections of downloaded content. It might be interesting to look at this at the level of ownership of expansions vs game packs vs kits or whatever they call all that stuff. I remember watching a Will Wright interview and he talked about the game industry goals of subscriptions and that all the added content was a way to engage players in something similar.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 1:34 AM
I bought all I think of 1,2,3 at full prices as had to have on release dates! I am a disk person and would almost wait for Target to open. I have gotten much of the 4 that I have in sales. I will get the horse one probably, but only when on sale.
Theorist
#11 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 10:24 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 14th Aug 2023 at 7:25 AM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
It's an interesting question given the ridiculous costs and it brings up another question: How many people who buy added content do so at full price or wait for sales (or steal)? I'm not sure this is the best place to ask since there have been many vocal critics of the game. Some of those are people who have not bought any games and who still participate in the forums for Sims 4. MTS skews negatively.

I started down this rabbithole that is the sims franchise by purchasing the TS1 base game on impulse. I played it on a crappy Compaq laptop until I could afford a desktop which was a Gateway. That was back when Gateway existed and sold their systems in a cow print box.

Just because people are critical of something, doesn't always mean they steal it. Back in TS2 days EA's CEO at the time went on a rant about how people that play video games are thieves. I made it a point to make a copy of my receipt from Game Stop, wasted postage to send said receipt to EA headquarters and basically told him to go fuck himself. I still have receipts in some of my TS3 disc cases today. They are barely readable at this point, but I've paid my way.

I don't play TS4, nor do I think TS4 is worth space on any hard drive in my house. It is the DLC simulator. While there are more ridiculous games out there in terms of DLC ( train simulator) no game is worth paying over $1,000.00 for. People love to spin it that this money was spent over time, yeah okay, but it is still being nickel and dime'd to death because EA has made the decision that DLC is more important than publishing a good game.

The projections around here are a bit much sometimes and yet there is complaining about negativity. Make it make sense...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I bought all I think of 1,2,3 at full prices as had to have on release dates! I am a disk person and would almost wait for Target to open. I have gotten much of the 4 that I have in sales. I will get the horse one probably, but only when on sale.

I have all of the disks for 1 and 2. I'm glad that 2 is available electronically now and wish like anything that 1 was. There are plusses and negatives to disks, one negative being that disks can be scratched. I keep Makin' Magic in an old laptop that no long accesses the internet. Not looking forward to the day that laptop dies. On the other hand, I worry about companies that go out of business and then you've lost access to your game. Not sure what the ideal is here.

I'll get horses and grow together when and if they go on sale. I probably do not play Sims 4 enough to make investments in it worthwhile.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 10:51 PM
On the official forum, you have to step carefully with any criticism or get banned.

As for the cost, there was a nice sale when I started playing and bought what was out. I've spent way more on WOW and unless I resubscribe, I can't touch any of it. Considering how much I played, I still got my money's worth.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Aug 2023 at 7:47 PM
I'm far from a completist with this one. I don't have vampires, werewolves, star wars, wedding pack, horse pack, about all of the kits except for one or two, and I'm pretty sure that I'm probably missing a stuff pack or two as well. The packs I do have, I picked up on a sale. I am looking forward to the day when the Sims team abandons it so that mods can become finalized. I only ever touch this game every few months now, and updating mods is the biggest chore. So, I spend a lot of time in Sims 2 or 3...plus I have a million other games that take my time & attention. (Right now it's Baldur's Gate 3. It's pretty amazing.)

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 4:47 AM
Nah I stopped buying TS4 packs after the one with the Henford-Bagel world. I can't justify spending more on this game. It has its fun moments, but the price is a bit absurd for one game.

Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Food for chat, most certainly. But some folks might see this innocuous question as impossible to answer. Seeing as some believe that Maxis, since the release of TS4 and all subsequent packs and kits to date, have not provided a full and complete game. So you see the dichotomy in your question?

The question is essentially "have you bought all the packs?". No need to look into it further than that.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Smeg Head
#16 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 11:01 AM
Just to clarify, seeing as you did quote - partially quote - my earlier comment, to then make your final "instruction." Are you actually telling me, personally, - or folks in general - how I - or anyone - should go about answering questions to align with your preferred way of things? Thought I'd best establish the intent with you first, before I may have mistakenly responded in a similar "do as I say" manner to tell you what to go do with yourself.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 6:56 PM

"Of course I bought all of them on the day they came out!"
Screenshots
Theorist
#18 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22

"Of course I bought all of them on the day they came out!"

The mask is a nice touch.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Aug 2023 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Just to clarify, seeing as you did quote - partially quote - my earlier comment, to then make your final "instruction." Are you actually telling me, personally, - or folks in general - how I - or anyone - should go about answering questions to align with your preferred way of things? Thought I'd best establish the intent with you first, before I may have mistakenly responded in a similar "do as I say" manner to tell you what to go do with yourself.

...I'm at a loss for words. The only thing I respond with is a facepalm and a subtle whisper of "oh god".

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry