Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#126 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 11:06 AM
Anyone read term and conditions? Why would Sims4forums steal all the stuff from ModTheSims? That's so illegal!
Does the site owner know about this problem?
--------

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 11:41 AM
I'm sure this is a legal requirement, but would we really have to include a phone number and address with the notice? It's not like our addresses are going to be a bunch of corporate headquarters with a ton of state-of-the-art security. I don't have any Sims 4 content, but if I did and it was on there, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sending my phone number and address to someone I don't know, especially over the internet.

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#128 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chicken0895
I'm sure this is a legal requirement, but would we really have to include a phone number and address with the notice? It's not like our addresses are going to be a bunch of corporate headquarters with a ton of state-of-the-art security. I don't have any Sims 4 content, but if I did and it was on there, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sending my phone number and address to someone I don't know, especially over the internet.

It's a company. Don't you do online shopping?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#129 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chicken0895
It's not like our addresses are going to be a bunch of corporate headquarters with a ton of state-of-the-art security

Dunno what "bunch of corporate headquarters" you expect, but Bluehost are a completely normal web host. There's nothing unusual about them. What they're asking for -- providing a means to get in touch with you -- is likely a lot less data than your own IP has about you.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#130 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 3:26 PM Last edited by Meline : 28th Sep 2014 at 3:38 PM.
He does give credit to whoever made them at the bottom of the posts/threads.
The only paid content is 18+ content, to ensure it stays 18+.
The rest of the content is FREE. He is NOT making money off your mods!

I'm not saying what he's done is right, but there have been reasons.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#131 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:00 PM
Nobody needs to sell adult content "just to make sure it's 18+", that's just one of the bullshit justifications he's feeding to his members (you are one of them, correct?). Would there be so many free adult CC sites otherwise? I would recommend a Google search.

Also *his* reasons are completely irrelevant here. It's the creators' decision what happens with their content.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#132 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Meline

nahh, my creation is not even in the website but, i do feel not good when my creation on a paysite, that have a lot of advertising all over it, so technically every content on that website give money to him either by membership or not as long as its in his website, its just my opinion tho
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#133 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:28 PM
Meline - it doesn't matter if everything besides the 18+ content is free or not. Besides what plasticbox said about it being the creator's decision what happens with their content, there's the fact that it seems like he was using the content from here (and other places like tumblr) to build up a downloads area and "lure people in".

askurei - Um, MTS has ads. Then again, MTS doesn't ask people to pay to be members to download anything and offer them "perks" for doing so.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:38 PM
MTS do have ads but not much, only the download pages and front pages, one flash ads, i can't seem to find something sticking to my eye all the time, and can't seem to find any banner tho.... will keep looking
Test Subject
#135 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:41 PM
I'm really not attempting to defend him, and I understand you guys completely and IMO you have every right to be upset (and ask him to take it down).
I was only saying that because I read a post somewhere in this thread that said he was making people pay for all the mods that were posted on the site.
That is not the case.
Most forums have some sort of membership available for purchase to help keep the site up.
Reading through this thread I saw a lot of people writing him off as some asshole who was trying to make money off other peoples creations, I just felt I had to say that's not at all what he's been doing.

mustluvcatz - You are very right in saying that it was used to 'lure people in', at least, that's what I assume to main purpose was. But also to offer the members who frequent there the possibility of uploading it on it's own site. Was that right? No, it really isn't.
He did give credit to those who created it, but if you ask me he should've provided a link to the direct download (and the original place it was uploaded) instead of hosting it himself.

From what I've gathered though, he is going to stop this immediately. Though I've not spoken to him directly, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. It is but my interpretation of things.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#136 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:51 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 28th Sep 2014 at 5:09 PM.
I read a post somewhere in this thread that said he was making people pay for all the mods that were posted on the site.

Citation needed.

As far as I'm aware, nobody in this thread claimed he was charging for their downloads.

The main issues seem to be that he copied site content, downloads, and is hotlinking without permission, that he failed to give credit in many cases (he added that in over time, but there are still downloads completely uncredited -- see here for example), that he even refused to remove files when asked to (see here), that he posted here with a sockpuppet account (see here) trying to scare people away from filing a DMCA and that by now he still hasn't removed any site content except for where the creators filed a DMCA right away. With "site content" I mean entire pages that are blatantly copied and pasted from mts, including pictures and hotlinks and all (maybe also from other sites, can't tell since I'm less familiar with those). All the while he is still trying to bullshit his own members into believing that *we* have an issue with "competition", when the whole issue isn't about competition but about blatant plagiarism and complete disregard of the actual creators.

Test Subject
#137 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Citation needed.

As far as I'm aware, nobody in this thread claimed he was charging for their downloads.

I think that is what I personally understood was meant by this (posted on the homepage) :

"Additionally, the site is monetized allowing the forum owner to profit from these works that have been stolen from around the web and hosted without permission."

Along with some other money-based allegations here and there I overgeneralized. Apologies.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#138 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 5:06 PM
Is OK. I hope everybody knows to make a difference between the site owner and people like you who are just members.

Also, I edited while you posted (above).

Test Subject
#139 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
The main issues seem to be that he copied site content, downloads, and is hotlinking without permission, that he failed to give credit in many cases (he added that in over time, but there are still downloads completely uncredited -- see here for example), that he even refused to remove files when asked to (see here), that he posted here with a sockpuppet account (see here) trying to scare people away from filing a DMCA and that by now he still hasn't removed any site content except for where the creators filed a DMCA right away. With "site content" I mean entire pages that are blatantly copied and pasted from mts, including pictures and hotlinks and all (maybe also from other sites, can't tell since I'm less familiar with those). All the while he is still trying to bullshit his own members into believing that *we* have an issue with "competition", when the whole issue isn't about competition but about blatant plagiarism and complete disregard of the actual creators.

I really can't defend him on anything he's done in regards to this particular mess.
We don't speak nearly enough for me to be really in the know-how of what's going on, I wish I did, and that I could be of any help >.<
I just wanted to voice my pov on it, and I really hope he sorts it out soon.
Instructor
#140 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 5:48 PM

Doesn't matter if he is making money off them or not, he is redistributing them without the authors consent. Crediting the original author/source website doesn't make it right, or legal

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 5:54 PM
Honestly? I can't fathom anyone jumping to this guys defense.
He is NOT the victim with good intentions he claims to be. Anyone who thinks he is should do themselves a favor, google him, and have their minds blown.
Meline, did I understand correctly you're a registered member on his site? Because in that case you may or may not have been around for his little "giveaway" and how that ended up. If not, I advise you search for it (its on his own forums) and decide for yourself what to think about it. I can only tell you it made my stomach turn. And that is one story. Of many.

And surprise surprise, my content is STILL on sims4forums. Why am I not surprised? One more hour to go ...
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#142 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:05 PM
Just found this on S4F:

Quote: Originally posted by EyeDye
If there is one thing to take note of from this whole situation, it's that MTS is obviously threatened by this website's success, or they would not have exaggerated the facts behind what actually happened.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris
I think the Sims CC community and particulary the bigger and older sites are feeling slightly threatened so they are only promoting these lies and stoking the fire to try and discredit us and make us look bad.

Lies? Seriously? And how on earth can we be threatened by a site that doesn't post their own stuff? The two sites are completely different things

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#143 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:14 PM
LOL @ those posts. We can't even be "threatened" by any site that does post their own stuff, because I sincerely hope that nobody here believes in any of that "competition" nonsense in the first place. otherwise, how come that so many creators and staff members are running their own sites, blogs and simblrs alongside? Do they all compete with .. themselves?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Scholar
#145 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:37 PM
Ugh, I'm reading over this post from TheSims4Forum and...Ugh. Just because you give them half arsed credits doesn't mean that it's okay to post other people's creations! And to view the spoiler, you have to login or register. What.

What I don't like is the way that the members are twisting MTS members' words around. People here said that they didn't like the way there was a membership, but the people over there are saying that we claimed that you had to pay for everything! Preposterous.

Oh, and we're a third party website. Like they're not.

Does anyone know what that spoiler I mentioned says?

ETA: Um, that came off as more aggressive than I hoped. Whoops
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#146 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:44 PM
He seems to rely on his own members being incapable of using Google

Top Secret Researcher
#147 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:53 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 28th Sep 2014 at 7:03 PM. Reason: no reason to be rude
I really can't defend him on anything he's done in regards to this particular mess.
We don't speak nearly enough for me to be really in the know-how of what's going on, I wish I did, and that I could be of any help >.<
I just wanted to voice my pov on it, and I really hope he sorts it out soon.

You are a moderator on that asshole forum, so your opinion is not objective.

mod edit: No reason to be rude.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
dodgy builder
#148 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 7:01 PM
As the people dealing with commertials say, "all publicity is good publicity", deliver your dmca and get over it I say. Don't give him/her higher rating.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 7:35 PM
@ plasticbox: I'd wager it's more that he trusts they believe his little act (which, I have to admit, is not half bad. Everybody sympathizes with the guy who claims to have been curb stomped) - which they do. Can't even blame them. I'm a trusting person by nature, myself - I've only had the doubtful privilege of having learned my lesson early on and fast

As to the "MTS is obviously feeling threatened" crap ...

Aaand DMCA is out.
Scholar
#150 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 7:42 PM
Ughhh I posted saying that it wasn't fair to copy the mods and stuff, blah blah blah and now a VIP contacted me thinking I was a creator from MTS and saying that they could Take down my content and apologizing. Ugh, this is embarrassing. Worst still, he was really polite and civil about it. Ugh, how am I supposed to say that I'm not a creator. So embarrassing
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: thread staying closed right now , if anything comes up, send me or plasticbox a PM.
Page 6 of 12