Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 7:52 PM
UV Map as an Image File
I could've sworn I saw a post about this a while back, but I can't find it now for the life of me. I do my UV map editing in MilkShape, and as far as I understand, you can't save the map as a separate image in that program. Is there a place in SimPE where you can find the UV map as its own image file? People have mentioned using it as an overlay in Photoshop, as a guide when creating the texture maps, which is exactly what I'd like to use it for.
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 8:50 PM
I don't think I found a way in milkshape, maybe someone has.

I think that what I did for my milkshape uvmaps was to put in a gray material, and selected everything and brought up the uvmap editor at .5 scale. Then I took a screenshot, cropped that and scaled up 200% to 1024x1024. The top left corner I then used for alignment.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 8:54 PM
Ah, okay. I've been doing something very similar, but I was hoping maybe I was missing an easier way. Thank you though!
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:50 PM
What I do is open the finished mesh as a .ms3d file in LithUnwrap (the free version)

You can find it here:
http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

On the File menu, it has an option "UV map/Save"

I set the Save window to bitmap and give it a name.

Then a second window opens, with several options. Set the options as you like and make sure the dimensions at the bottom are set correctly to 1024 x 1024 (for a body mesh) and that's all there is to it.

For a "standard" looking black and white uv_map image, set "Groups" to "black and white", and un-checkmark "fill"

If you make objects, it works great for them too - just set the dimensions to whatever image size your object is using for it's texture.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 12:46 AM
i did this
the File menu, it has an option "UV map/ (save is disabled)
i opened this way
import-skeleton-and opened file
then did other
its not working
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 5:22 AM
Thanks Dr. Pixel! I must've looked at the wrong thing when I was originally looking for LithUnwrap, because I didn't think it was free. That does just what I wanted.