Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I like the changes you've made. I also like othiym's suggestion for the trader. The way it stands, we'd be stupid to try robbing him.

I've been making my own follow-on challenge. Nothing like the way yours is heading with the Isolation unit, but more playing with ways to work through the mess towards a return to normal. More crime but less clinic.

That's cool aelflaed. Giving people more than one option is hard when only one person is working on something. Not everyone is going to want to do the isolation unit idea. I will probably have to play it both ways just because I like both ideas! At this rate, I may never make it to save the children. LOL
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 7:01 AM
And even more remarkably, beeswax can apparently be eaten roasted over a fire. Who knew?

Thank you so much for posting this. I did some other things in the town I'm using for a week before I settled in my challenge family, without considering that they'd be moving to their shack just as plants are going dormant.

Fortunately, the elixir consignment shop is their nearest neighbor, so the beeswax and honey have really saved them. I never knew that both honey and beeswax can be roasted at the firepit, but then again, I didn't really use firepits much until this challenge.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 7:40 AM
Well, that's something the rules don't cover. My male Sim was just kidnapped by aliens. LOL I am taking that as contact that can spread the virus and rolled for it. He of course got the virus but his physical skills were high enough that he survived. That's just nuts. LOL
Field Researcher
#79 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 10:38 AM
Would alien abduction count as contact with the virus? Misty said this to someone who asked about using worlds "after Supernatural."

Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
I primarily meant that time line wise, this took place before sims went to the future. Since lunar lakes is supposed to be another planet (i believe) i'd say no to that one as well just because story line wise it would seem odd for the virus to reach that far.

So I thought the aliens might be beyond reach of the virus by the same logic that Lunar Lakes isn't affected.

Though a scenario where you'd test after alien contact is plausible, too. Maybe the aliens escaped from the same inept sim government that let this virus loose and is doing such a terrible job maintaining this quarantine. Maybe the aliens brought the virus with them and want to know why your sim is resisting it so far.

Hm. That all being said, I think I'll follow your example and virus check my next sim who gets abducted. I didn't once before, but better to err on the side of caution .
Alchemist
#80 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 1:16 AM
I'm still playing through the last couple of days of this (now that they aren't immune...and guess what, one sim died on me straight away), before beginning to playtest my version of what comes next. In which there is mayhem and interbreeding. No perfect human gene pool for my sims.
I've never played at all with non-human sims, so it will be very experimental.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
Would alien abduction count as contact with the virus? Misty said this to someone who asked about using worlds "after Supernatural."

So I thought the aliens might be beyond reach of the virus by the same logic that Lunar Lakes isn't affected.

Though a scenario where you'd test after alien contact is plausible, too. Maybe the aliens escaped from the same inept sim government that let this virus loose and is doing such a terrible job maintaining this quarantine. Maybe the aliens brought the virus with them and want to know why your sim is resisting it so far.

Hm. That all being said, I think I'll follow your example and virus check my next sim who gets abducted. I didn't once before, but better to err on the side of caution .

I was running off the belief that if you don't know where the virus comes from, and you suddenly find out aliens are real... You might want to do a virus check. Of course he ended up preggers. The aliens are probably my least favorite part of the game. I would have been upset if they hadn't been included somehow, but I don't like to play them, so the baby was sent to the home world. Not sure that I didn't just infect an alien world with the virus but you know... that's what you get for kidnapping my sim against my will and impregnating him.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
Not sure that I didn't just infect an alien world with the virus but you know...

And you just gave me something to do with Lunar Lakes.

The infected alien world sounds too interesting to pass up.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 3:44 AM
And you just gave me something to do with Lunar Lakes.

The infected alien world sounds too interesting to pass up.

LOL Glad I could help!
Field Researcher
#84 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 4:28 AM Last edited by lop90804 : 26th Feb 2014 at 4:42 AM.
This is awesome, but if my sim is nauseous, do I roll or is it just Germy? I may tweak the rules a bit for a Lets Play. Also, how do I give the man food for trade? Last question: If by selling Items you get from like dumpster diving, you get enough money, can you build a bigger home? Or get more furniture?
Field Researcher
#85 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
I have a question. After Day 30, what are you supposed to do about bills?

Other than that, I love this idea for a challenge! I'm going to get started on it!

You could use testingcheatsenabled true to delete them
Field Researcher
#86 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
This is awesome, but if my sim is nauseous, do I roll or is it just Germy? I may tweak the rules a bit for a Lets Play. Also, how do I give the man food for trade? Last question: If by selling Items you get from like dumpster diving, you get enough money, can you build a bigger home? Or get more furniture?

I assume it's just Germy since Nauseous comes from all sorts of non-virusy things, like pregnancy. But you can tweak that if you like; I always roll when my dumpster diving sim gets nauseous.

You can either delete the food with testing cheats on, or just sell it and set your family funds back to 0.

On your last question, I'm going to guess no, since at this point in the scenario, money's entirely worthless. Plan your bartering very carefully, and make some equitable trades to get your sims additional items.

Also, if people are wondering about the bills, another possibility, if you have World Adventures installed, is to get the No Bills Ever lifetime reward. I didn't use any other rewards because they would have taken too much of the challenge out of the situation, but that one solves a problem very practically.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 6:06 AM
Sorry, But one last and final question. What if a pregnant sim gets it and,according to the roll, dies?
Alchemist
#88 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 6:52 AM
I would probably cheat a little and wait till the baby is born before killing off the mum. But it -is- cheating a little.

I am now allowing my sims to use fruit trees as building material. Must be mature trees or barren ones, and each tree provides resources to build up to four grid tiles of whatever you want. Didn't think it appropriate to alter the shack between them moving in and the end of the countdown phase, but the next phase feels like consolidation to me, so restricted building seems possible.

My sims have never received a bill at the shack, although other mail is delivered. I'm sure they don't have the No Bills reward, too - wondering if it is because I placed the lot away from the road. .
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 1:10 PM
I would probably cheat a little and wait till the baby is born before killing off the mum. But it -is- cheating a little.

I am now allowing my sims to use fruit trees as building material. Must be mature trees or barren ones, and each tree provides resources to build up to four grid tiles of whatever you want. Didn't think it appropriate to alter the shack between them moving in and the end of the countdown phase, but the next phase feels like consolidation to me, so restricted building seems possible.

My sims have never received a bill at the shack, although other mail is delivered. I'm sure they don't have the No Bills reward, too - wondering if it is because I placed the lot away from the road. .

If your getting other mail but no bills it could just be you don't reach the threshold for bills. Hubby usually doesn't have any when he plays those small lots.

The pregnant mother is a hard call. On the one hand... Its going to be really hard to raise a child alone in this environment. On the other hand it isn't like you have the opportunity to meet people so you can have another baby with someone else. I think what you do from here is dependent on whether or not you want to take this family into part 2. If you do then I would hold off on killing mom. Otherwise, why wait?
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 1:31 PM
I assume it's just Germy since Nauseous comes from all sorts of non-virusy things, like pregnancy. But you can tweak that if you like; I always roll when my dumpster diving sim gets nauseous.

You can either delete the food with testing cheats on, or just sell it and set your family funds back to 0.

On your last question, I'm going to guess no, since at this point in the scenario, money's entirely worthless. Plan your bartering very carefully, and make some equitable trades to get your sims additional items.

Also, if people are wondering about the bills, another possibility, if you have World Adventures installed, is to get the No Bills Ever lifetime reward. I didn't use any other rewards because they would have taken too much of the challenge out of the situation, but that one solves a problem very practically.

I roll even when I know the the nauseousness is caused by pregnancy. After all, my Sim hasn't figured that out yet. As to the dumpster diving thing... I think if your Sim has say maxed out inventing, logic, and physical skills then yeah, you could dumpster dive, then you could blow up items to get the scrap then delete the scrap in order to use it to expand your house. I wouldn't however use the scrap to buy new items such as furniture. Well, you might be able to... I mean as long as you kept to items that looked like they were made from scrap. If you have the downloadable content that came with Island Paradise, then you could use the chair and bench from it.

It seems only fair since I am trying to max out those three so that I can not only survive but when I get to the smaller house, either trade for solar panels or solar converters so I can "build" my own solar panels. 1 panel equals 2 hours of power and if your making the panels yourself you must trade something of equal value for the converters... I just ordered some from ebay... We got them 6 for twenty dollars I believe... So you could trade something small for a converter. Then to build it you would need lets see... the kit was 60.00 and it has everything you need to build it.... You can purchase 100 scrap for 550.00 so that's 5.50 per scrap.... by that logic, you would need 12 pieces of scrap to delete in order to make one solar panel.

I haven't researched water collecting systems yet... But to collect rain water all you need is a barrel. You could potentially add 2 extra hours of water a day *edit: for say every 4 hours it rains* by trading for a barrel to collect water in. The more barrels you can get the more water you have... Sure she didn't include all of this, but hey she said make it our own and since I live on a homestead, I know in this kind of situation, this is exactly what we would do. You just have to make it all fit within the rules she did set.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#91 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 12:45 AM
I'm about to start the revised version of this challenge, but a quick question and an observation before I get going.

Should that "everyone" be an "anyone"?

The other thing I wanted to mention was the first appearance of the old man, on Day 22. I was wondering about making the "Try to Rob" option more tempting. The radio's the cheapest item he offers for normal trading, and it's really not enough to risk both a virus check and him never showing up again.

Maybe something like "steal 3 things of your choice from this list, but any adult or teen must be checked for the virus, and the old man will never come back." That would make me think for a while about which option to take. That risk vs. a lot of food saved.

Yeah it should be anyone and you can modify the challenge if you like. It's all about what is fun for you.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804

You can decide if you want to roll for nauseous. Most of the time I only get that if my sims eat bad food!

As far as the trader, you would simply delete the food you are trading and if you're using it to buy something available in build/buy, give yourself the desired cash (family funds cheat) so that you can get your exchange.

The dumpster diving is fine for furnishing your home. As far as building on...you're not going to have easy access to building supplies, etc. Technically the old man (trader) is really your only contact with any kind of store/vender. I would say no but if you can find a way to justify it for your game, then that's your call
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 7:40 PM
Great challenge! I've already started it and I find it really interesting.
I've got one question though. Do I have to do a virus check when a new day starts or just when my sims touches another one or when the game gives me the sickness moodlet?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#94 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by losail27
Great challenge! I've already started it and I find it really interesting.
I've got one question though. Do I have to do a virus check when a new day starts or just when my sims touches another one or when the game gives me the sickness moodlet?

No you only do the virus check if a) your sim gets sick, b) you touch someone, or c) later in the challenge you get close to someone.
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 11:56 PM
I made it! To the smaller house that is. Finally! I thought for a minute that I lost Mom on the roll for that day but then I checked my notes and realized I rolled for that before I had to stop playing to let hubby have the computer so I just threw out the last roll. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how kelptomania works... I haven't played someone with it since the trait was first introduced. I felt guilty that they kept stealing things. LOL I don't have to feel guilty now. This is survival of the fittest baby! I had to go over to Carl's guide for a quick reminder but I'm about to hit it again and hopefully by this time tomorrow... I will be almost through...

Better get that rear moving Misty we need part 2... Sorry kids have been watching Riddick to much lately. It's kind of my favorite line. Followed closely by "Death by teacup, D***, why didn't I think of that?" Seriously though if your feeling better... We really need part 2. No pressure of course...but you know, Part 2 LOL
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#96 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
Better get that rear moving Misty we need part 2... Sorry kids have been watching Riddick to much lately. It's kind of my favorite line. Followed closely by "Death by teacup, D***, why didn't I think of that?" Seriously though if your feeling better... We really need part 2. No pressure of course...but you know, Part 2 LOL

How do you know i'm not just trying to sway you over to my VTM challenge and Pt 2 will never come? LOL

Lab Assistant
#97 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
How do you know i'm not just trying to sway you over to my VTM challenge and Pt 2 will never come? LOL

That isn't even remotely funny. Fine! I refuse to play VTM until you give me Pt 2. Careful or I will make you wait till you and I both have finished part 3 Oh wait... I was going to do that anyway... so there! LOL I am holding VTM Hostage. I'm not playing until I get pt 2 and 3. Don't worry it isn't a real gun to your head just your own hand making the shape of a gun with your fingers. Why do you keep trying to choke yourself that way? You look so uncomfortable with your left arm wrapped around your neck. You know you don't have to do this. It's not really worth it. All you have to do is give me part 2 and then part 3. <WEG>
Test Subject
#98 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 12:42 AM
Starting up this challenge now I love challenges with a story and this seemed perfect!
Test Subject
#99 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 12:43 AM
Seems really fun! Might be fun in Bridgeport as well, considering the close quarters of everything there!
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kikilicious
Seems really fun! Might be fun in Bridgeport as well, considering the close quarters of everything there!

It will certainly up the difficulty.
Page 4 of 17