Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Dec 2006 at 2:47 AM
Default How would you recolor this?
This is the neon (green) bar & counter I recolored.
I would like the tops (black) to match the rest of this set, but how?
When I open up the objects there isn't a top to recolor!!

Thank you

"S"
V^^^^V

" Enjoy LIFE, 'cause DEATH is just around the CORONER ! ©"
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 11th Dec 2006 at 1:52 PM
Hmm, that's odd, because the tops show up as recolor options just fine for me. Which version of SimPE are you using?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Dec 2006 at 8:14 PM Last edited by VAMPY BITES V^^^^V : 11th Dec 2006 at 8:27 PM.
SimPE ver.6.1
I just updated to 6.2 today.
I used the SimPE wizard for the recolors.

"S"
V^^^^V

Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 11th Dec 2006 at 9:13 PM
Isn't the top half of those textures for recoloring the counter top? With counters, the base and the top are usually recolored in the same texture.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 1:37 AM
As you can see,I did color them,but in the game as you can also see,they are the Maxis colors.

"S"
V^^^^V

Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 4:53 AM
At a closer look it seems that since the glowy part and the wooden base are already 2 recolorable subset, the top can't be recolorable anymore. If I clone the counter, only the glow part and counterfinish are marked as recolorable, not the countertop.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 2:25 PM
So, is there away to get around this?
Is there a master from where the bar & counter tops are getting it's color from?

"S"
V^^^^V

Part-time Hermit
#8 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 2:35 PM
Borrowed textures or not, you can only have two recolorable subsets for one object, no more than that are going to show up in the catalog. The only way around is to make one of them a slave subset to another, in which case two of the subsets would be recolored at the same time (one master and one slave). This can't be done with a recolor of a Maxis object, you need to make a new clone and edit the subset structure accordingly.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:14 PM
Thank you!
Could if you can ,tell me how?
Would I just open SimPe,and get the object then click clone,then recolor from there? Right?

"S"
V^^^^V

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:18 PM
WELL DUH!
I just opened the SimPE Wizard,and this time SCROLLED all the way down,and I think I may have found the top I needed to recolor.

Going to check it out and see what happens!!!

BRB!

"S"
V^^^^V

Part-time Hermit
#11 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:29 PM
Nope, it's not that simple. You need to make one of the subsets into a slave subset of another subset, and that includes editing the Geometric Node. It's relatively complicated and I have to say I don't remember all the details about the exact names and such, but basically you need to add a new specific block into the Geometric Node (or actually several Geometric Nodes, since counters have several of them) to allow slave subsets in the first place, then you need to assign which subset is a slave to which subset. And, since it's a clone you don't want to replace the original, you will need new GUIDs, too.

I think it would be easier for me to try to do myself than trying to explain what to do if you're not familiar with any of these steps from before .
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:33 PM
Nope, nothing changed.
Going to try and clone.

"S"
V^^^^V

Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 6:05 PM
It's all Greek to me!

Thank you for doing this for me.

"S"
V^^^^V

Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Nope, it's not that simple. You need to make one of the subsets into a slave subset of another subset, and that includes editing the Geometric Node. It's relatively complicated and I have to say I don't remember all the details about the exact names and such, but basically you need to add a new specific block into the Geometric Node (or actually several Geometric Nodes, since counters have several of them) to allow slave subsets in the first place, then you need to assign which subset is a slave to which subset. And, since it's a clone you don't want to replace the original, you will need new GUIDs, too.

I think it would be easier for me to try to do myself than trying to explain what to do if you're not familiar with any of these steps from before .

Part-time Hermit
#14 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 1:58 PM
This is getting a bit more complicated than I expected. There are known problems cloning counters the usual way, and I'd use Numenor's counter templates to fix it, then the glowing part of this counter island then wouldn't work.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 3:32 PM
The NighClub set (counter, island and bar) are the worst objects in the game, as for their recolourability...
  • The counter has (as usual) two recolourable subsets: counterfinish and countertop.
  • The island has a recolourable counterfinish (slave of the counter) and a back panel ("lucite", autonomously recolourable); the top is NOT recolourable.
  • The bar has the counterfinish and the lucite (both autonomous); again, the top is NOT recolourable.

Therefore, if the problem is to create an additional colour for the top, it can be done only for the counter, but not for island and bar. Quite useless, uh?

Moreover, the islands and the bars have an additional recolouring problem: to each recolour of the "lucite" is associated a special coloured light; but SimPE can't create a recolour package that includes the light: when you apply the recolour to the "lucite", the island/bar will not cast coloured light any more.

IBliss is right: cloning the counter and modifying its internal structure would solve most of the problems (it won't solve the problem of the coloured light, but since you are interested in recolouring the Top, it doesn't matter).
I would suggest an internal structure like this:
  • Counter: only one recolourable subset (finish+top merged together); or maybe setting the top as slave of the finish, without editing the mesh; in both cases, the user will lose the ability to recolour the top separately from the finish: to each finish will be associate one - and one only - top.
  • Island: two recolourable subsets: finish+top (slave of the counter) and Lucite (autonomously recolourable)
  • Bar: two recolourable subsets: finish+top, slave of the counter; and lucite (autonomously recolourable).

If you are wondering why I don't suggest to enslave the Lucite to the same object, the reason is that I'm not sure that the coloured light will work, if the Lucite is slave to an external object.

All the above could be more easily achieved with a global mod, instead of a simple clone: a package located in the Downloads that modifies directly the Maxis counter, rather than a completely autonomous cloned counter that will look (in catalog and in game) exactly like the Maxis one.

I think I can do that, but I can't promise when -

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 12:06 AM
Vampy, I've posted the requested Fix one minute ago, and you already have found it

For the other users that might be interested, here is the link: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=209819

PS: Creating a Global fix, instead of just cloning the counters was the only option: if I had cloned the counters, I would have lost the coloured lights (they don't work in clones).

I even take the chance to advise everyone NOT to clone the "Night Club" Island and Bar (nor any other Nightlife object that contains coloured lights): they won't work properly.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 12:20 AM Last edited by VAMPY BITES V^^^^V : 14th Dec 2006 at 1:56 AM.
LOOKS GREAT!!!
Even the lights work!

Thank you Numenor .

"S"
V^^^^V

Part-time Hermit
#18 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 4:46 AM
Thank you very much, Numenor!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#19 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VAMPY BITES V^^^^V
LOOKS GREAT!!!
Even the lights work!

You recoloured even the neon panel? It looks odd, that light flowing under a wooden panel, lol! But I'm glad it works

Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 8:37 AM
Yeppers,I did!
I think the light(s) looks kinda cool! LOL

Thank you all that helped. :D

"S"
V^^^^V