Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 28th May 2010 at 1:00 AM Last edited by GiveTheNineARide : 28th May 2010 at 1:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
GT9, with all due respect, you don't read the answers you are given and that is half the trouble in this thread so far. HL told you in post 2 your object might be missing something but you didn't look...if you had you would have noticed you were missing your IMG's on the TSRW version.

I am very good at following answers I understand. And yes, I did read the answers that were given. I may not have understood them, but I read every one. This is where the gap in understanding comes in again. I am no where near the level that you and HL are at. Had I been told that something was missing or corrupted and suggested that I open the package in S3PE and take a look I would have done so. Sometimes answers that seem clear to you zoom over others heads. I stated in my original post that this was my first ever object and to please keep things simple.

I told you above, multiple times, the specular can be trouble and now you're asking me to tell you how to get PSP to do make them.

I don't know where you get the idea that I wanted instructions in PSP on how to make a Specular. I did say that I could not get the DDS plugin to work in PSP and if you could give me any help there I was all ears.

Read the answers you're given. I also told you above I use Paint.NET to make alphas, *not* PSP and it works like a charm. If you need a link to get information on that I'll post one.

We did seem to agree that I should choose a path and follow it. I have no intention of attempting to learn my way around another image editing program. At times my head is spinning already with all I am attempting to learn.

But please...do try to read the answers you're given and base new questions on those answers. Don't race through them...read carefully and follow the advice you're given. Otherwise there is no point in asking questions and no point in having other people answer them.

Again, I need to understand the answer I'm given to be able to base new questions off of it. It is far more difficult for someone to raise their level of understanding above where they are (actually it's nearly impossible), than it is for someone with experience to remember the struggles they once had with things that are quite simple to them now.

Again, my advice to you is to pick a tool set and follow the basic tutorial...*to the letter*. Don't race on, don't ignore instructions, and don't think you're gonna fly through stuff without actually reading and comprehending it. This isn't easy, it all takes a lot of steps, the steps have to be done precisely, and it isn't for people who can't or won't read the fine print. And I do say that in a spirit of goodwill. Focusing on the details of how things are done and the advice people are giving you is the only way you're gonna be able to learn to mesh for this game.

I don't think that at any point in this thread that I raced on or skipped over anything. I may not have understood every answer I was given, but I think I also tried to point out where I didn't comprehend what was said. And sometimes when I asked a question based off of an answer I was given . . . there was no answer to that next question. I don't think I raced on when reading tutorials either. As a matter of fact I think I did a phenomenal job of figuring out things that were omitted or skipped over by the people that wrote the tutorials. I'm sure they didn't mean to be unclear, they just didn't take into account the level of understanding of the people that would read the tutorial. Just as you have not gone back to what it was like when you created your first object, trying to understand complex things that were way over your head. I do say this also in the spirit of goodwill. If you want to take the time to answer a question, try to make your answer understandable to someone at a much lower level of understanding. While you have been friendly and helpful throughout this entire thread, you could of used a little more tolerance and understanding at times.

Cocomama, thank you very much for everything. This will all help me to decide which path to follow first. I would really like to learn both ways eventually, so that I can make an educated decision of what route to take based off of what it is I want to do.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 28th May 2010 at 1:42 AM
No GT9...no free ride. If someone posts something like HL did, "Not positive but it looks like something in the package was deleted or corrupted" and you don't understand what she means by that then it is your responsibilty to ask what she means instead of posting the flights of ideas post you posted afterwards.

She told you straight off something was missing but you didn't want to take the time to understand what she meant by that and instead carried on into some long me post...same as you're doin' now.

No one here is obligated to provide you with anything and it's best you understand that.

You said this. "The problem I am having though is that I cannot for the life of me get the DDS plugin for PSP to work. A while back when I did the recolors of HL's stairs I had it working, but have since changed computers and operating systems. The PSP version I have is PSP 8. If you could offer any suggestions as to how to get it to work I'm all ears...which was in the context of understanding specs. So that is where I got the: " idea that I wanted instructions in PSP on how to make a Specular..." from you.

I'm not gonna continue through your me-post chapter and verse but I'm sure you must be getting the idea.

Go get a tutorial. Follow it to the letter. And quit takin' people's time with this. Because all you're doin' now is demanding attention for nothing. You've been given the answers you need.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 28th May 2010 at 3:15 AM
No GT9...no free ride. If someone posts something like HL did, "Not positive but it looks like something in the package was deleted or corrupted" and you don't understand what she means by that then it is your responsibilty to ask what she means instead of posting the flights of ideas post you posted afterwards.

She told you straight off something was missing but you didn't want to take the time to understand what she meant by that and instead carried on into some long me post...same as you're doin' now.

No one here is obligated to provide you with anything and it's best you understand that.

You said this. "The problem I am having though is that I cannot for the life of me get the DDS plugin for PSP to work. A while back when I did the recolors of HL's stairs I had it working, but have since changed computers and operating systems. The PSP version I have is PSP 8. If you could offer any suggestions as to how to get it to work I'm all ears...which was in the context of understanding specs. So that is where I got the: " idea that I wanted instructions in PSP on how to make a Specular..." from you.

I'm not gonna continue through your me-post chapter and verse but I'm sure you must be getting the idea.

Go get a tutorial. Follow it to the letter. And quit takin' people's time with this. Because all you're doin' now is demanding attention for nothing. You've been given the answers you need.

I am trying to gain an understanding of what Im doing, that's all. I'm sorry you see it differently.

We obviously have trouble communicating with each other. I feel bad about that, because I can tell you know a lot about what I am trying to learn. I'm sorry that you see that as trying to take up your time. I really tried to be as understandable and understanding as I could be throughout this thread.

I will go and read a bunch more turorials, that's what I was donig before I started this thread. Then I got to the point where I could not make sense of what was going on with the object I was trying to convert, and it seemed that I was so close!

If I get stuck again I will come back and ask for help. And I will try to follow your advice and ask about every answer I don't understand. I'm sorry I didn't do more of that here. But sometimes it seems I don't even know enough to ask an intelligent question.

I hope I haven't angered or upset you, although it seems I have, and I'm sorry. Thanks again for all the help and time you gave me!

There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#29 Old 28th May 2010 at 4:50 AM
Ok lets please keep this on topic, ie: asking and answering questions related to object creations. I posted info earlier for clarification of terminology because it seemed as though there was mis-communication and confusion of terminology being used by one and not meaning the same to another, and it seems as though there still is. So, no more....bickering...for lack of other words.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses and start over. Some need to keep banging their head against the desk trying to get this object working, when most of the time if it's simple stuff it's easier to start over. I am of the group, save the mesh and textures separately and start over. I have enough dents in my head tyvm.

TSR has a basic tutorial by ... RicciNumbers I think and another by CycloneSue. Both for TSRW and I am sure CycloneSue's is good, no idea about Ricci's. Most of the tutorials for dds files for PSP are in the Patterns tutorials on the wiki. They may be for patterns or CAS but the general idea is the same. Cocomama linked to one of the PSP tutorials earlier if your interested in getting your version to work with the dds.

So, which tool set are you using now? LoL
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 28th May 2010 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Ok lets please keep this on topic, ie: asking and answering questions related to object creations. I posted info earlier for clarification of terminology because it seemed as though there was mis-communication and confusion of terminology being used by one and not meaning the same to another, and it seems as though there still is. So, no more....bickering...for lack of other words.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses and start over. Some need to keep banging their head against the desk trying to get this object working, when most of the time if it's simple stuff it's easier to start over. I am of the group, save the mesh and textures separately and start over. I have enough dents in my head tyvm.

TSR has a basic tutorial by ... RicciNumbers I think and another by CycloneSue. Both for TSRW and I am sure CycloneSue's is good, no idea about Ricci's. Most of the tutorials for dds files for PSP are in the Patterns tutorials on the wiki. They may be for patterns or CAS but the general idea is the same. Cocomama linked to one of the PSP tutorials earlier if your interested in getting your version to work with the dds.

So, which tool set are you using now? LoL

Really haven't decided yet.

I guess at this point I am starting the entire learning process of object creation over. I may have bitten off more than I can chew by attempting to convert a S2 object for S3.

I am going through Ellacharm's tutorial right now. After which I will look through what Cocomama uploaded and linked to here. From there I will make a decision as to which path to follow first.

I'm sure at some point, after getting the basics down, I will feel comfortable with the one I choose to go back to that conversion project that started this thread. I have the mesh and textures for that all saved.

Eventually my hope is to learn both methods and make an educated decision of which tool(s) to use depending on what I am trying to do.

I have downloaded riccinumber's, CycloneSue's and Apple's tutorials from TSR already, so I guess I have a lot of work and learning ahead of me.

Hopefully you will see some nice stuff uploaded by me sometime in the not to distant future.

Page 2 of 2