Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 6:04 AM
Default Love in the Sandcastle
-Introduction-

"It's not what we do that counts, it's who we do it with."

That was my Nana's favourite saying.

It's funny... she died almost six years ago this winter, and that saying still resonates around in my head as if she were saying to my very face; I can see the laugh lines around her mouth deepen and her eyes sparkle as she hands me a fragrant jasmine tea, her soft demeanor and sweet face encouraging me to "sit a spell" on the deck.

We'd jabber about just about anything - what I studied in school that day, how strong the wind was - she loved listening, and, let's be truthful, I did so love talking. She wouldn't want me to be any other way.

"Madeline Hammond, don't let anyone tell you that you ain't allowed to speak your mind," she'd say, patting my knee gently. "They'll call girls that speak their mind all sorts of nasty things, but that don't matter. They don't know the great things you'll do."

Her death still hurts, if I'm really honest with myself. But that could have a little to do with the fact that I'm still living in her house - our house. The place I grew up, the place she raised me in, the place that still smells just like her - Ivory soap and baby powder. The Sandcastle.

It was my grandmother's pride and joy - the Bed and Breakfast on the beach that she and my grandfather built right from scratch. People would come from all over to stay at The Sandcastle.

Every morning I run along the beach, two miles; and every morning, as I run back towards The Sandcastle, I can't help but smile.

It's beautiful, charming place - but there's something more about it. Something warm and inviting. To this day I can't figure out what it is that makes it that way.

Nana said it was because the place was built and maintained with love. I do my best to spread that same love to every single person that walks through my doors and stays in my beds.

Times were a little tougher nowadays. The recession was hitting people's pocketbooks hard. There weren't as many people who wanted to spend a little extra money to stay at a quaint Bed and Breakfast in a tiny little town.

But there will always be people, however few, that need a place to rest and relax. So here I am.

I cook all the guest's meals (unless they would prefer to dine out, of course). I don't wish to brag, naturally, but I'm no slouch in the kitchen.

There are never more than two families staying at one time (not enough room), and it gives me time to get to know all of them.

I find that a good portion of my business is built upon return customers. Every summer I get the treat of seeing very familiar faces. It's interesting, watching families grow and change - and maybe the slightest bit saddening.

It's approaching the off-season now, so business will slow considerably. The break gives me some time to do a little housekeeping - re-shingle the roof, make sure the foundation is free of cracks...

... though, I don't devote ALL my time to work.

I'm not totally alone, either. My sweet dog Hula keeps me company. She's two years old and full of energy - sometimes I can't keep up!

I live a charmed life, I really do. I get to smell the salt in the air every morning, let the sweet sea wind blow through my hair as I run beside waves of clear blue. I get to meet people from all over, make new friends constantly.

But soon enough, those friends leave. Oh, I have a few good friends here. But sometimes, something feels missing.

Sometimes, even though I'm surrounded by people, I can't help but feel the tiniest bit...

... alone.

-End of Introduction-
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 4:10 AM
Wowser! This is bloody fantastic. Nice. and new, and fresh, and different.

Update soonness!

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 4:27 AM
I love it, it really pulled me into the story. Im really looking forward to next update.
#4 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 4:42 PM
I loved how you used the balance of pictures and description when you needed to. Your pictures are SO clear! It really brings out the character of her and the whole story. ^^ Did I say how much I love this intro? I really love this intro. :howdy:
#5 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:25 PM
Amazing story, and I love the layout. Can't wait for the next part, I feel so sorry for Madeline already
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:32 PM
WOW! such a great start!!
I love how you write, i can't describe it buts it diffrent - in a good way, of course!
I'll deff be sticking around for this story - cant wait for chap 1!!

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:42 PM
Default Chapter One - Part 1
Wow guys, thanks for such kind comments! I hope I don't disappoint!

Chapter One - Part 1

It's been a peculiar day.

It started like pretty much any other - I woke up before the sun to hit my favourite little bakery -With the Grain.

I'm lucky enough to be good friends with the owner. She and her sister are both small-business owners here in Lesterson. Angela always gets me the freshest loaves of bread (at a bit of a discount - which never hurts).

I never go to the local Walgreens for my food, if I can help it; I strongly believe in supporting local businesses. In fact, when the plans for all of these new chains started coming in, I went to every town meeting to protest. Fat lot of good that did.

Of course, after hitting With the Grain, I have to stop at Java-Jav. Angela's sister Andrea would probably never forgive me for not visiting. Their eye-opening espresso's are just a fringe benefit.

"So you're coming back to work here soon, right?"

I laughed. "Andrea, I kind've have a full-time job going on."

She joined in my laughter. "It never hurts to beg, honey."

You were my best employee. Although," she said, her happy demeanor sagging a little, "once that new Walmart comes in, complete with an on-site coffee-shop, we're probably not going to need as many employees."

"What?!"

I was furious. I had lobbied against that ridiculous Walmart more strongly than any other big chain store that tried to move onto our island. Walmart would practically destroy us - what would happen to all the small businesses if they couldn't depend on the revenue brought in by tourists in our busy season?

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure we'll do just fine." Andrea smiled.

"I'll see to it that you will. I already dish out recommendations to everyone I know."

"You're a doll!" Andrea patted my arm. "And it's maybe best not to fight all this expansion. It's happening everywhere."

"Not here, Andrea," I said stubbornly. "I'll see to that, I promise."

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:48 PM
great update, i hope madeline gets somthing done about those walmarts

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 12:20 AM
Default Chapter One - Part 2
Chapter One - Part 2

Suffice it to say, when I got home, I was not a happy camper.

The fact that it was bill day didn't exactly help.

At any rate, there were things to be done. And the first thing to be done was answering a ringing-off-the-hook phone.

"Hello, The Sandcastle Bed and Breakfast, how can I help you?"

A man's deep voice came thrumming through the earpiece. "Yes, hello, am I speaking with Madeline Hammond?"

"You are, who am I speaking to?"

"This is Mark Oliver. I'm looking to rent a room for a rather long-term stay."

"Oh..." My brow furrowed in confusion. "Ahh... how long term? We are in the off-season, so I'm not exactly prepared for guests."

"I understand that," came the man's voice. I noticed an almost impatient twinge hidden in the deep overtones. "However, I have business on the island that may take a month or two."

A month or two?! "Um..."

"I'm willing to pay double the normal room rates. Miss Hammond, how about I stay this weekend. If you find yourself uncomfortable with me staying for any longer than that, you can tell me outright and I'll try to find new lodgings."

Well, there really wasn't anything negative I could say about that plan. "That sounds fine. I'll book you in. I have to warn you, I have a dog."

There was a pause. "That's fine."

"Mr. Oliver, if you don't mind me asking - why me? Why not at the Holiday Inn or somewhere like that?"

There came another pause, before his deep voice rang through the phone once more. "Because I heard you were the best, Miss Hammond."

I said goodbye to him and hung up.

How strange...

"You're gonna do it, though, right?"

I sighed. "I have no idea, Andi. I still can't work out why he'd want to pay more money to stay here when it'd be so much easier to stay in a big-name hotel."

Andi gave me a look - you know the one. The 'you're-my-best-friend-but-you're-also-a-total-moron' look.

"Who cares, honey? He's paying you double, it sounds like he'll be away a lot, and it'll give you business when you have next to none! How is that a bad thing?"

"I guess it's not." I murmured, pushing my omelet around my plate. "I just don't know. He didn't sound very... pleasant."

Andi chuckled. "He's rich. He doesn't have to be pleasant." She grinned. "Besides, he might be gorgeous. Rich and gorgeous. And lord knows you gotta get laid."

I nearly choked on my food. "Andi!!"

"Just stating facts!"

"Well," I laughed, "no more facts. Or I'll stop cooking you breakfast all the time."

"Pssh, you love me."

"Only a little."

Andi said goodbye a little later, and I went out to enjoy my morning exercise. I was finding it hard to concentrate, however.

Andi was right. What was I so worried about? I hadn't even met the man yet, and here I was judging him. Nana would've welcomed him with open arms.

That thought pretty much sealed it. We would see how this weekend went. I'd keep an open mind and be my normal hospitable self.

A peculiar day, indeed.

End of Chapter One
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 12:39 AM
Hey guys, quick question - I notice in other stories that the setup is a little different, with a side bar for quick links to chapters, including links at the bottom of each chapter. How exactly do I set that up in this story? It's my first time, so I'm a little lost.
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 5:34 AM
To get that, you need to give each chapter a title in the title bar, and when you click the direct link to your story each titled chapter will be linked there.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 1:11 PM
Hey, enjoying the story so far! It's very engaging and the pictures fit well. I don't know about you, but I'm getting the feeling of a thriller/murder here..
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 8:44 PM
Im still loving this, your writing is very nice and the pictures are great! Cant wait to see what happens next.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 9:31 PM
lols, sorry i posted before you finished posting chap one, but great update! :P

#15 Old 22nd Feb 2009 at 6:01 AM
Ooooh mystery man :D
#16 Old 22nd Feb 2009 at 6:17 AM
I am getting the feeling Mystery man has something to do with those Walmarts coming to town. Maybe?

Really good story I can't wait to read further
retired moderator
#17 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 12:30 AM
Very intriguing story... I can't wait to read the next update!

Formerly known as boolPropped
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 2:41 AM
i really like this story .... cant wait for the next update! :]
Field Researcher
#19 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 2:49 AM
Crud, i shouldn't have clicked the link. Now I have to wait for the next installment! I do really like where this is going (I hate walmart too!) and likable characters are a plus.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 6:46 PM
I love it. Your writing paints such a picture -- even without the actual pictures I would be able to imagine The Sandcastle and the scenes you describe perfectly. The sets and such are gorgeous, too -- and what do you do with your pictures? Anyway, very well done so far, I look forward to reading more!

We are the lucky ones
Your mother's daughters, your father's sons
Don't you grow old before your time
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 8:35 PM
Your pictures are wonderful!! Great story cant wait for an update!
#22 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 5:34 PM
Great story! I really get the feeling of a small coastal community under threat from the modern world and nice tie into RL! I can't wait to see who this mystery man is and what he's up to.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 6:08 PM
I love the story so far! I hope you continue it soon. :D
Field Researcher
#24 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 2:42 PM
I'm really liking this