Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 8:23 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Takes a while to load Build/Buy Catalogue
Hi everyone! I have this problem which I don't know if it's just me or it's the how the game is with everyone. My Build/Buy catalogue takes long time to load (20-30 secs). It is with every category and even If I was in a category and go back to it, it still takes time to load. I forced the game to create a clean vanilla EA GAMES folder in My Documents but even without any CC it's still slow. Is there any reason for this? I have Ultimate Collection and run the game on Windows 10. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2,50Ghz
Memory: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M , Intel Graphics 4600
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 9:25 PM
It might be generating new thumbnails (the little pictures you see in the catalogue). This can slow things down. The good news it, once the new thumbnails are there, the lag goes away. Do you find that it might be slow the first time you load a particular part of the catalogue and then it's ok? If so, what's happening is the game is loading stuff (the thumbnails) causing lag.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
It might be generating new thumbnails (the little pictures you see in the catalogue). This can slow things down. The good news it, once the new thumbnails are there, the lag goes away. Do you find that it might be slow the first time you load a particular part of the catalogue and then it's ok? If so, what's happening is the game is loading stuff (the thumbnails) causing lag.

Thanks for the quick response! Hm, It is ok now if I was in the category and I go back it does not load, but if I load 3-4 more categories and go back to the first one it does load again. And also is it normal that every time I start the game they should be loaded again? It's just really weird I might record a video I don't know if my explanation is good enough.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 12:53 AM
OK - well if they're reloading again and again, even if you go away and/or close the game in between times, I don't think it's a thumbnail problem because that should go away eventually.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
OK - well if they're reloading again and again, even if you go away and/or close the game in between times, I don't think it's a thumbnail problem because that should go away eventually.

Yes I still got this problem :/ By the way if I go from Buy Mode to Build Mode it starts loading everything again it takes 10-15 sec and it's really annoying while building.
Site Helper
#6 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 6:02 PM
Do you clear caches before each play session?

Caches are supposed to help reduce that problem by storing data that is often used. They can become corrupt, especially if you have added or removed CC since your last play session, and can sometimes cause problems. But if they are not causing trouble, clearing them means they need to be created again with every play session and thumbnails will not be kept from session to session.

Clear once, then leave them alone until they need to be cleared again due to adding or removing CC.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Do you clear caches before each play session?

Caches are supposed to help reduce that problem by storing data that is often used. They can become corrupt, especially if you have added or removed CC since your last play session, and can sometimes cause problems. But if they are not causing trouble, clearing them means they need to be created again with every play session and thumbnails will not be kept from session to session.

Clear once, then leave them alone until they need to be cleared again due to adding or removing CC.

Unfortunately it didn't help
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 4:40 PM
Do you have a laptop with two graphic cards, and if so, are you sure the game runs on the Nvidia card? If it's trying to run on the other one, you can experience anything from a slower game to very serious graphic errors, depending on how good or bad the integrated card is.

Right-click the icon of the game, choose "run with graphic processor". If there's one Nvidia and one "integrated graphics" showing, see which one has (standard) behind it. If it's the integrated one, click on the other.

You can also go the Nvidia control panel and set the programs there.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do you have a laptop with two graphic cards, and if so, are you sure the game runs on the Nvidia card? If it's trying to run on the other one, you can experience anything from a slower game to very serious graphic errors, depending on how good or bad the integrated card is.

Right-click the icon of the game, choose "run with graphic processor". If there's one Nvidia and one "integrated graphics" showing, see which one has (standard) behind it. If it's the integrated one, click on the other.

You can also go the Nvidia control panel and set the programs there.

Yes I do. That was a whole another situation I had but I can assure you the game is using NVIDIA card.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 12:43 AM
I haven't tried this, but I've heard that if you remove Securom, it improves the catalog speed.

I believe this is the guide on how to do it. WARNING: I have not tested this myself. Your mileage may vary (make backups!):
http://beyondsims.com/658/securom-removal-tool-added/

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 1:09 AM
@toxicboy
Is this you at Leefish? http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6961 (If it isn't, that person is having the exact same problem as you!)
If it is you, you're getting good advice from Kiri there - if anyone can help you out, she can. If that's NOT you, give that thread a read through because I'll bet your issue is the same thing.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 4:56 PM
Hi there @toxicboy !

Believe it or not, this issue has plagued me ever since my update to Windows 10. It actually caused me to revert back to Windows 7 a few months ago, seeing as I build so often, I just couldn't handle the sluggish performance.

I recently upgraded back to Windows 10, and was determined to get to the root of the problem. For me, I'm running the Ultimate Collection, but I've been told that the issue can still exist with those who use CDs.
The problem for me was solved by correcting two issues: removing SecuROM and adding a No CD crack to the game.

SecuROM seems to cause a stir with some people running Sims 2 on Windows 10, and the issue doesn't go away by simply removing it. Origin will reinstall SecuROM each and every time you run the game without a No CD crack added, which is why the latter must be added (the No CD crack).

You can follow this guy here, or this guide here on how to remove SecuROM from your game. As for the no CD crack, you'll need to find one that is for the most recent expansion or stuff pack that you have installed (if you are running Ultimate Collection, that would be Mansion and Garden Stuff).

Be cautious when browsing the web for a No CD crack, as some sites might contain unsavoury files. A No CD crack is not illegal if you already own a copy of the game, it essentially tells the computer that it no longer requires a disk to run or play the game. However, having a No CD crack is crucial for this fix to work, as I stated above, Origin will reinstall SecuROM each time you play the game without this crack added.

I really hope this helps! I'm pondering creating a guide on this website that walks through on how to resolve this issue in simpler terms (and perhaps photographs). Best of luck!!

Check out my building creations!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 9:39 PM
@mustluvcatz Ha! Same problem but different person. It's not me.

@Metamorp and @siletka Bless you for this! It worked like magic. It was horrible I don't know how I used to bear without this trick now it works so smooth. Someone should make this important. I'll pass this tip on http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6961

I can confirm removing SecuROM does make a HUGE difference and it solves the problem.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toxicboy
@mustluvcatz Ha! Same problem but different person. It's not me.

@Metamorp and @siletka Bless you for this! It worked like magic. It was horrible I don't know how I used to bear without this trick now it works so smooth. Someone should make this important. I'll pass this tip on http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6961

I can confirm removing SecuROM does make a HUGE difference and it solves the problem.

I'm having the same problem currently and I'm trying to fix it...however, when i follow the directions to remove SecuROM, i get an error message that says "SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe is not recognized
as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...I don't know what it's talking about and i'm not savvy with PC computers...Also, why would i need a NO CD crack if the ultimate collection doesnt run on a CD to begin with? where would i even go about finding one of those? please help!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by toxicboy
Thanks for the quick response! Hm, It is ok now if I was in the category and I go back it does not load, but if I load 3-4 more categories and go back to the first one it does load again. And also is it normal that every time I start the game they should be loaded again? It's just really weird I might record a video I don't know if my explanation is good enough.
You might want to try running your game without a swap file. This is how I do it, and even though it doesn't load anything instantly, the lag is down to almost nothing.

Write down your swap file settings, in case it doesn't work, so you can undo the changes.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@toxicboy
Is this you at Leefish? http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6961 (If it isn't, that person is having the exact same problem as you!)
If it is you, you're getting good advice from Kiri there - if anyone can help you out, she can. If that's NOT you, give that thread a read through because I'll bet your issue is the same thing.
Kiri is amazing!
Alchemist
#17 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iloveh900
I'm having the same problem currently and I'm trying to fix it...however, when i follow the directions to remove SecuROM, i get an error message that says "SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe is not recognized
as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...I don't know what it's talking about and i'm not savvy with PC computers...Also, why would i need a NO CD crack if the ultimate collection doesnt run on a CD to begin with? where would i even go about finding one of those? please help!
You're better off signing up at leefish because we're not supposed to talk about no CD cracks over here.