Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:09 PM
Default live on a community lot
Hey All!

I've spent about an hour searching this site and can't find a mod allowing my sim to live on a community lot. I want to build a warehouse type apartment above stores, shops and have a park/pool outside. It is easy to place community objects on residential lot but I really want townies to visit so it truly feels like living downtown. Anybody know if this is possible?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:31 PM
Default I wish
Hi!

Unfortunately I don't know where to find a mod like this, but living on a community lot is my biggest wish for the Sims. I've posted several messages about this on the TS2 site. Don't you think Night Life will make it possible?

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'll check out this thread in case you find something.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:33 PM
this is a duplicate thread. please delete one thread.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:37 PM
use the change lot zoning cheat or get the collection from maxis objects and collections from the download screen.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:38 PM
Hmm, I am not sure if its possible or not, but you could allways check the Hotel Collection (its called something like that). I know they have discussed this earlier somewhere. If you find out, please post your results/findings! :-)

"Sims2 is life... all the rest is just details!"
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 5:12 PM
Uhm dont want to start any rumours or something but since nightlife has a downtown and sims can live there, maybe it will be possible to have appartments above some clubs or stores. I really hope so because my sim streets are deserted, and i want to see sims walking around, and neigbors shouting and stuff like that lol! 13 more days to wait and find out :P
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 5:32 PM
I know we can live downtown, but I belive its the same deal there as anywhere, you have to make a residental lot for living and a community lot for bars/resturants/shops and what nots.
Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 6:23 PM
A bit like Sims 1 with the Old Town then?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JenF
A bit like Sims 1 with the Old Town then?

More like the university campus.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 8:04 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Yeah, I was not sure which category to put it in- building or mods- so sorry about the duplicate.

Yeah, I read about a hundred posts in my search before starting this thread and the zoning cheat only makes legitimate residential out of community (need to add your own mailbox/garbage) or legitimate community out of residential but you can't combine the two. I also have the residential objects in community and vice versa so I can make the stores etc below and have NPC's working but I mainly want townies to wander in to populate the lot and make it downtown-ish. I imagine that the townies would also wander up to my warehouse apt above the stores to watch TV or read a book!

Half the lot is stores/warehouse apt and half is a park with pool so it will be pretty lonely without all those kiddies having fun and girls browsing the clothing racks.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nigel_Halfwit
I imagine that the townies would also wander up to my warehouse apt above the stores to watch TV or read a book!

Half the lot is stores/warehouse apt and half is a park with pool so it will be pretty lonely without all those kiddies having fun and girls browsing the clothing racks.

well you can stop the npc's wandering into your apt by fitting it with a myne door lockable door

i've built residential apt's over shops in community lots & it works fine but you can't build skills or invite sims over from other lots, order deliveries etc

the big problem is you can't save the game while you're on a community lot so it's best to keep it as temporary vacation option
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 2:51 AM Last edited by Nigel_Halfwit : 3rd Sep 2005 at 3:00 AM.
Thanks for the tip about myne door lockable door, nicvncnt. I know that you can hotel at community lots but I was hoping someone had a hack to combine the two kinds of lots. Actually, I was very surprised that it has not been done.

If you guys are interested, I just uploaded a beta version of Gastown Warehouse Apt. It's not finished yet but I just wanted to see how the pic would look so check back maybe tomorrow for the finished version. The ground floor will have shops, coffee shop and maybe a lounge- using community objects in residential lot hack- and there is a park right across the street.

Oh yeah, the basement has a fitness club with pool, hot tub and exercise equipment.

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot...asset_id=236194

Scholar
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 11:36 AM
looks great :d
i love loft apartments. wish i could afford one in real life, we have so many round here along the canal. they are gorgeous

have you tried simlogical.com for lots of useful stuff for apartments?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 12:57 PM Last edited by Nigel_Halfwit : 3rd Sep 2005 at 2:49 PM.
Thanks for the compliment, anelca. I like your avatar pic and your Calm Space home. Simlogical looks like a great site and I am especially interested in the hacked doors and cool countertop stoves.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 1:17 PM
I think the easiest thing would be for someone to create a hack that summoned random townies to your residential lot. Would this make it enough like a community for you?

A hack that "auto-greeted" everyone passing by would also help. However, that probably wouldn't create a big enough crowd for the effect you want.

For now, you could get one of the objects that lets you teleport sims in. It's not as satisfying, but you could pick random townies to teleport.

I wanted to add, your lot looks great. Around here, a lot of old elementary schools are being converted to new purposes. Your building makes me think of that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 2:56 PM
Thanks for your ideas, Nocomment. Your sparkly, spangly suits with capes are hilarious. Gastown in Vancouver where I live has lots of old industrial buildings that have bee converted to residences (sans park in front :D). It would be cool to live in an old heritage elementary school building. Maybe that's an idea for your next lot.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 3:29 PM
You know what would go perfect with this. There are somewhere out there, can't remember where though, pay toilets and pay games, etc. Whenever visitors come to visit, they have to pay to use the stuff. Would generate money for the owners.
Instructor
#18 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 4:14 PM
This hack allows you to earn skill points on community lots.
I guess if you used this with the Myne Door, It would be just like home!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=20172
Instructor
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 4:18 PM
Oh, and you can get the "pay" items from SimLogical
http://www.simlogical.com

Go there, and click on Sims 2 at the top of the screen.
There's lots of neat stuff in the "Family Business" section
like the customer generator, pay arcade machines, pay toilets etc...

And best of all, it's free :D
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 2:51 AM
YEA! That's where they are. lol .. Thanks Anshin Lanugo
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 3:05 AM
Nigel, I have my Flagler College lot I thought about turning into a community lot. My question is---will students automatically generate if there are Myne doors in place? Have you tested this? Part of the real Flagler is open to the community and visitable, but it wouldn't feel right without students running around.

If students generate there, then yes, I guess sims can kinda live on community lots...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 17th Sep 2005 at 5:17 PM
Along the same lines as this thread, I've been looking for residential objects that can be placed in community lots, I only have S2 now, but Uni is in the mail to me, and I'd like my simmies to be able to have a cup of coffee and maybe dance while in the community lot. Where can I find something like that? Thanks heaps.
Field Researcher
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Sep 2005 at 12:26 AM
Thanks, Jade.

"The Fantastic Level and the Realistic Level are the two levels upon which we live."

The Night of the Iguana (1964)
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 10:35 AM
i have managed to make a dorm into a community lot where the students lived above shops and the shops actually had townies visiting, i did it with the changing lot cheat
first making a community lot then a residential and then turned it into a dorm, works a treat, not sussed it out for normal neighbourhoods though

SimsMad....For all your simming needs

Covering the Sims 1, 2 and 3. New Sims 3 downloads available.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 2