Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 9:20 PM
Default Splash screen crash - Generations updtd. to 8.0.152
I was using CAW fine up until a few weeks.

I had only the base game and Late Night installed, updated Late night and then all of a sudden, CAW wouldnt load. It would crash when loading the splash screen.

I then uninstalled Caw and redownloaded it. It then wouldnt load, saying that it was not compatable with the version of the game that I was running. I figured that this was because I had the Generations version of CAW, that couldn't run without said EP.

So I bought Generations and re-installed CAW and now it loads the splash screen and then just dissapears.

I tried uninstalling the base game and all eps as well as CAW then reinstalling but still it just appears then dissapears again.

Ive tried Simsamples idea of deleting the cache folders, still to no avail.

So pretty much . . . Kinda run out of ideas as to what to do :/
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 2:52 AM
That's weird o_o

Have you tried turning DEP off for CAW?

Also, have you tried enabling it to use more RAM?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:26 AM
Its odd, as before hand I had been using CAW completely normally without any problems. Even EIG worked perfectly for me without a single issue.

How would I go about doing the two ideas that you have suggested? Any advice/help would be appreciated
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 2:08 PM
Jordan, try the suggestions here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

For the DEP idea that Jasumi mentioned, check here:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Prevention/TS3W
You need to add the CAW.exe from your CAW install location (for example, Program Files\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create a World Tool) instead of the TS3W.exe mentioned there.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 4:55 PM
I just attempted to turn off DEP for CAW but it came up with a message saying that the software/programme cannot run with it turned off
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 5:14 PM
Can you show a screenshot of that error, and also a screenshot of your DEP settings?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 6:16 PM

Here ya go
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:41 PM
First, make sure your CAW executable is Large Adress Aware, as in the link I gave you. That will help us ensure that isn't the reason for the crash.

Next, regarding the DEP error, just to check you are getting that error when your settings are as in the first image, turned on for essential Windows programs? Where do you have your CAW program installed to? Are you running it as an administrator?
Scholar
#9 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 10:31 PM
I just checked -- you can't disable DEP protection for CAW, so that won't help :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 10:42 PM
I can on my PC, but I'm running XP and the previous CAW version. Perhaps they recompiled the latest one, then. Thanks for the info, Jasumi!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 9:32 AM
As I have 4GB Ram on my PC, should I download the 4GB patch mentioned when dealing with the LAA. Also seen as I will be downloading it for CAW, where should I save/install it to instead. Somewhat confused
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 1:46 PM
Just to check, Jordan- you have a 64bit OS?

If so, then try this program:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=112556

It was mentioned that this was the best to use with CAW, but since I have a 32bit OS with my CAW on, I've not tried this myself.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=444527
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 2:00 PM
I have a 32bit OS
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 11:19 PM Last edited by simsample : 14th Aug 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Typo!
Did you try with a set of clean CAW user data? That would be worth a try. Drag Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool to the desktop and launch CAW. Does it work?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 5:13 PM Last edited by Jordan09 : 27th Jul 2011 at 5:43 PM.
Now attempted that, and still loads the splash screen then crashes a few seconds later. This is beyond frustrating to say the least, as I had a world that I was halfway through working on :/ Really dont want to have to abandon CAW entirely :/

Edit : Could it be that Ambitions/World Adventures are required to use CAW now?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:09 PM
Its not compatible with Windows 7 if thats the OS your using. Even using compatibility mode will make no difference. I'm re-installing XP too many problems with 7.

I have a 64bit system, tried everything suggested. I had it working fine when I had Vista installed, so my suggestion is here if you can, remove windows 7 and put on XP. Vista wasn't too good either.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:14 PM
Hmm, maybe. But I had been using CAW for 6 months without any problems
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jordan09
Hmm, maybe. But I had been using CAW for 6 months without any problems

So maybe it's just a problem with Gens? Ive just recently re-installed CAW onto Win 7 and that was after I installed Gens. What's your OS?

simsample - have you got Gens for your XP system?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:07 PM
Im wondering that. But the new CAW requires that you have Gen installed. And I have a 32 bit OS
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 3:57 AM
katy perry, many people have CAW working on Win7 32 or 64 bit with no problem.

Jordan09, some last things to check. Do you have any custom content in the main game? If so, try CAW without that. The best test would be to try with fresh userdata for the game as well as CAW- so drag Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 to the desktop too. Also, check that you have no old framework files left in your Program Files folder, in case you installed any CC the old way. Another thing to check is that ALL of your EPs and SPs are fully patched. Check out the patch table for that.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Patch_Table

Otherwise, it could be that UAC is crashing the game, perhaps? Where do you have the SIms 3 and CAW installed to? On Win 7 or XP I would recommend to not install to the Program Files location, just because that is UAC protected.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 4:07 PM
Ive got all the patches but anyway Ive given up on trying to get it to work. The main reason I wanted CAW was so I could place spawners and other hidden content. Someone directed me to the 'enabledebug' cheat and Im happy just using this for now but thanks anyway

Also, because I can only access the net via a mobile broadband dongle downloads are very expensive for me. I get like 2GB of downloads for £15 so downloading CAW, patches etc really eat into that allowance.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 10:01 PM
Simsample, now tried all of those options and still nothing
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 8:32 AM
How to startup CAW
I had the same problem with splash screen start fail, but if you delete file named Default.local.ini from your CAW folder, your CAW will start up! :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 11:23 AM
Okay I re-installed CAW. But now for some reason I don't have a folder for it in the regular My Documents/ElectronicArts/ area. I have one for Sims 3. But not for CAW.

EDIT: simsikk96, is that in the regular folder for CAW or in the programme files section?
Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 11:47 AM
Jordan09, Program Files Folder
Page 1 of 2