Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 4:33 PM
Default No cellphones
Hello ^^

This mod allows to disable (and re-enable) all cellphones with an interaction on the mailbox of the active family.

Why would someone get rid of cellphones? To play in a game/setting where they would be a clashing element,
Off Topic, Out Of Character or whatever you want to call it (e.g. in a fantasy or medieval themed game).

Why I'm posting the mod in this section of the forum? Well, I consider this experimental because I can't say
I can predict all the consequences of removing cellphones, maybe the game won't like it or maybe it will
conflict with other mods (doesn't seem the case with mine or NRaas Integration mods that I know do
something cellphone-related). EDIT: actually with my "Record videos from cellphones" mod, if you
remove cellphones and then restore them they won't have the recording interaction until you reload
the game, NRaas Integration (which replaces the interactions to throw a party) works fine instead
because it replaces the Singleton... well, no need to be too technical, suffice to say that it works.

Once enabled, the mod will remove all existing cellphones and will also remove those assigned to newly
created Sims and Sims transitioning from toddler to child. Tourists and adventurers visiting the world may
be a problem, let me know, I can add a periodic check that removes those cellphones slipped from the
main checks... but then there could be problems if those rascals "return" to their home world without
a cellphone, I don't know, so this needs some more thought and testing, probably it's better to simply
disable tourists since they would most likely be off topic anyway.

If you save the game and then reload it, the mod will remember if cellphones are enabled or not (if the game
is paused you have to unpause it), but if you go back to the main menu (which is not a good thing to do, generally
speaking, it's always better to quit and reload the game completely) and select another game to load, the mod may
use the setting used in the last game played (it's not a big issue though, you can check the mailbox and if needed
restore all cellphones). EDIT: nope, I think I've fixed that, if you start a new game the mod will be disabled by default
and if you load another game it should use the setting used there last time.

I guess without cellphones (and maybe normal phones) you won't get the opportunities that need to
answer a call to be triggered, this is one of the side effects, there may be more like I mentioned earlier.

Well, if this interests you then please test the mod and let me know if it works well or there are issues,
I tested it myself of course but as usual I don't like to test mods too much (how responsible of me!)
because that implies playing the game for a extended time and I just don't feel like it.
I hope that using the mailbox to toggle the mod on/off is a good choice, since that object should
be necessary/mandatory in any game.

As always, this was developed and tested with game version 1.67.
Attached Images

Attached files:
File Type: zip  Arsil_NoCellPhones.package.zip (4.9 KB, 5116 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 5:03 PM Last edited by pj : 18th Aug 2015 at 7:27 PM.
Very useful; I'll test it out. Thanks.

ETA - Seems to work as intended. I like that you can switch it on/off from the mailbox. It was really nice not seeing Sims constantly using their phones and taking selfies (which I hate). Nice mod.
Scholar
#3 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 9:49 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 19th Aug 2015 at 3:26 AM. Reason: Update!
I love the idea of a world without those damned things! I'm rebuilding my world to look like it's pre-ww2.
And that's the thing - it's not just medieval and elven worlds that wouldn't have cellphones.
Anyone playing in the disco era, the action-80s, or even the early 90s is gonna want this wonderful mod.

I'm downloading, and I will test it this afternoon. I see pj already did, but if you need a second tester, I'll have
info for you by 7pm Montana Daylight Savings time! :lovestruc

update: I'm not sure if it is related to the cellphone mod, but all of the bookshelves in my world have disappeared.

update: I'm certain that the mod is not connected to the mysterious worldwide disappearance of my bookshelves.

The mod is working. I used the mailbox to "remove cellphones." They still show in the sims' personal inventory,
but there's been no ringing, no ugly fx image of ringing, and I haven't seen a single sim with a cellphone to his/her ear!

Another update: I have two Sims who are talking to themselves and/or to inanimate objects. These are not
insane Sims, nor do I have any mods installed that would affect them even if they were.

One Sim spent a few minutes talking to a tree in the park, and the other is right this minute talking in the direction of her stove (she's got something in the oven, and she's waiting for it to finish cooking). Given the other glitch with the books, I don't know if I've got something strange going on with my game.

I'm going to clear out a couple of EA store items I bought yesterday, and see if that's not the problem...

Yet another update: It's 6:44 pm here, and no one is talking to herself that I can see.
I followed both of the Sims who'd been talking to themselves
before, and I haven't seen either of them doing so now. So, I'm guessing it was one of the objects I've uninstalled?

update 7:44pm: I spoke too soon. One of them is talking to herself right now.
She's in the kitchen waiting for waffles to cook in the oven, and she's talking to the stove, or maybe to the space above it.
I have no CC objects whatsoever installed. So, could it be possible that it's the mod...?

The other mods I have installed are:

NRaas Mastercontroller with cheats;
NRaas WooHoo;
NRaas Debug Enabler;
NRaas Traffic;
VelocityGrass' SOMPA;
Auto Gardening;
No Swarming;
Teens Can Play;
No Stir Crazy;
No Autonomous Memories;
No Relationship with your Car;
and No Autonomous Answer Phone.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Arsil : 19th Aug 2015 at 8:30 AM.
# but if you need a second tester

The more the better (if I'm using that expression correctly).

# So, could it be possible that it's the mod...?

Hard to tell. Can you describe the animations? It's like they are holding a cellphone but with no actual phone?
Are their hands or arms in a awkward position? Or if they speak you could check if they pronounce phrases
usually used while at the phone or used commonly (just speculating, I don't play the game regularly any
more so I don't know if they use different audio and you can tell the difference).

Stoves and trees uh? That seems to be just coincidental, I need more feedback to [try to] figure it out.

EDIT: have you verified if restoring cellphones stops that? I can't find "VelocityGrass' SOMPA", do you have a link?
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 2:36 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 19th Aug 2015 at 3:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil

EDIT: have you verified if restoring cellphones stops that? I can't find "VelocityGrass' SOMPA", do you have a link?

1. It doesn't look like they're on the phone; they use both hands when gesticulating.
2. I didn't think to restore cellphones. doh. I'll go do that now, and watch some more.
3. Here's VelocityGrass' SOMPA mod. Since the day I installed it, I have never built a lot without using it. :lovestruc

Update 8:49 am: I restored cellphones. I forced my one sim to cook something in the oven. She was talking to the stove or something.
So I quit the game, and removed the mod and deleted the usual caches. And when I fired back up the game, and sent her
to bake something...sure enough, still talking to somethin' she sees there.

It seems I wasted your time. It is apparent that something has gone horribly wrong in my game.
I guess I'm gonna delete this game, and start a new one to build in.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 3:34 PM
Really could use this--I have an island world that I'm slowly developing and constant cellphone usage is completely OOC. Will try it when I get home and report back. Thanks!

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Banned
#7 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:21 PM
Quick question before I download - can it disable only the lot? I have a neo-Victorian family who pride themselves by saying technology is verboten in their family.
And if I download this, any character-friendly handset phones out there?
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:55 AM
No, it's global. NRaas MasterController can do what you ask but, if I'm not wrong, you have to delete
the cellphones every time because they are restored automatically when you reload a game.
Theorist
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 7:10 PM
Lol, I've been waiting for this mod since '09. So, just to clarify, if I want my sims to travel to another hood via NRaas Traveler,I'd need to re-enable cellphones for one minute while I do the 'travel' interaction,and then disable it again?
Thanks Arsil.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:04 PM Last edited by Arsil : 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:57 AM.
Oh, interesting question. If you use the travel interaction from the cellphone, then you can't disable the cellphones again
(because you can't interrupt the interaction, if I remember correctly). You have to remove them once you arrive at the
destination. Or you can use a landline phone or a computer to travel, can't you?

EDIT: yes, you can use a landline phone or a computer, but that's not needed because I was wrong.
I forgot that this mod uses an immediate interaction (which is not added to the queue but it's executed
immediately), so to travel you can restore cellphones, use the cellphone's travel interaction and then
remove them again (only once the call is over) before Sims leave town.
The problem is that when you get to the destination for the first time (or if you go to UNI or you move
into a new world and probably if you go to the future), you have to remove cellphones again. I could fix
this, but then if you go back to the main menu to load or create a new game the mod will keep the
setting used on the game you just played. Unless I'm missing something, you can't have both benefits at
the same time and I'm not sure which one is preferable (probably not the one currently implemented).
Anyway, it's a minor issue and should only happen the first time you visit a new place.
Theorist
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 12:10 PM
I see. I think the best scenario then, would be to place a well-hidden wallphone at the Town Hall, and just use that for travelling. That's a simple workaround. I'm assuming sims won't autonomously use that phone. I doubt if they would, but we can lock it behind a door if they try to anyway.
That's great. Thanks for the answer.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:33 PM
Man! I really want to try this mod! But I'm playing the test of time challenge right now and I'm five generations of sims into my town without corruption, so I'm being extra careful.

I'll look this up again once I can start a new game out.

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Test Subject
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 9:07 AM
Seems like a must-have for Gurra09's Midnight Sun Challenge (at least, for the way I play it). Thank you
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th May 2017 at 5:53 PM Last edited by Zore007 : 25th May 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Not working for me probably out dated T_T

I don't like a cell phone glued to me in RL I sure as heck don't want it glued to me in game. The sims 1 was good, get rid of your phone and no more calls from your spiritual adviser. The sims 2 also good. Then now we have cell phones that are always ringing at you and texting at you and won't leave you alone. Even the silence feature doesn't work! This game is a few years old now and I appreciate they keep adding new content (which is how the keep generating money from fans like you and me), but seriously throw us a bone here. You know WE LOVE THE GAME! It's in spite of these annoyances which, modders help with, but these are basic features EA comeon already and get on it. Please!

Ahhh, well there's a good reason it's not working for me. It's the TS3 I'm trying to use it for 4. Well I'll probably go back to three anyhow TS4 is full of bugs.
Test Subject
#15 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 12:45 AM
this mod really helped me a lot.
it seems to be working fine for exist game, not for new one. in condition of almost all of Nraas mods installed.
cellphone's call just interrupts queue of action. and often, it critically kept breaking my plan so far. but such stupidity has ended at last.

for me, game's engine of Sims 3 behaves just annoying my orders almost only when its thrown. as if it ignores on purpose better and suitable in-game time and timing.
(there was MUCH of proper looking chance when my sim is idle in proper time but somehow NO such call. and then if i put an order, suddenly "unnatural" call coming ANYTIME.)
it was beyond annoying and actually game breaking nonsense. especially while grouping.

thanks for your effort.
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd May 2018 at 8:43 PM
Thanks for this. Phones disrupt the scenario if you are playing a primitive game.
Test Subject
#17 Old 17th May 2018 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pickaloo2
Thanks for this. Phones disrupt the scenario if you are playing a primitive game.

Does this one still work?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Dec 2018 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladysparrow20
Does this one still work?

Works perfectly for me
Test Subject
#19 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 6:27 AM
Anyone still there? I can't throw parties via mailbox once i turned all cellphones off, Maybe i misread the thread but i can't do it