Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 9:59 PM
Why do some .rar files work and some do not?
So I've noticed that a few of the mods I've downloaded had no folder to unzip from and thus they end in .rar not .ts4 or .package and while some seem to be working in the game some are not. I'm wondering if the .rar ending even matters or not? Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 9:31 PM
You need to extract the files from the .rar folder, unless directed by the creator not to. Files that are kept zipped would be python script files, ending in .pyc now, I believe. Most creators that create python files seem to .zip them though, so I feel confident you should extract these files.

You can use .7z or WinRAR to unzip your files properly, make sure you have the latest version(s) and are the appropriate version for your computer.

anything ending in .zip, .7z or .rar needs to be extracted. Those extensions signify that a file has been compressed and put into a folder that needs to be uncompressed. Anytime you have difficulty extracting simply shows the limits or age of the program you are using, and it is best to keep the extraction program you use up-to-date.

anything that shows up in your mods folder otherwise, must end in a .package or .ts4script extension, beside any files the creator has asked you to keep zipped. Anything else is extraneous (.html, .jpgs, etc.) and should be backed up somewhere else if you want to keep.

In addition, Script mods should only be one folder deep in your mods folder Mods>Script Mods. Any deeper, and script files will not function. There are ways to create deeper levels of folders, but for now, this is the simplest way to make this work.