Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 7th May 2019 at 6:59 PM
You all are making me want to download more clothes!

One of my main 'hoods actually only has spring and summer as its seasons, in part so I wouldn't have to bother changing outfits as often! I guess I'm a lot lazier than many of you, haha.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 7th May 2019 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukk
You all are making me want to download more clothes!

Do it! Do it!

Heck, thanks to Chris Hatch's mod, I even change the clothing of babies every day during a playing rotation.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 7th May 2019 at 11:19 PM
^Same here, I tend to dress newborns in something pale and older babies in little jeans or brighter dungarees.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#29 Old 8th May 2019 at 4:09 AM
I haven't gotten into changing clothes for babies just yet--then again, my sims are only babies for the vanilla 3 days (though I've modded other ages to be longer). I don't feel like that's long enough to bother with infant clothes. Otherwise, I try to buy/change clothes for my sims at least once per life stage like a couple of other simmers. For me I'm just so lazy about going to the store or remembering to change clothes, so a sim's transition is my reminder to get some new outfits. A household will have to be really poor and/or super busy for me not to buy a sim new clothes when they age up. But even if my sims are really busy, I will usually use Monique's computer to buy clothes if they can't spare time to go to the store. I like using that cuz they still have to pay for clothes. A little less cheaty, you know?

Anyway, my sims get clothes at every life stage and if they can't afford to buy one of everything, then they at least get an everyday outfit, an undies or pajamas, and an outerwear outfit or another everyday outfit that doubles as an outerwear outfit. Toddlers get pjs and an everyday outfit, even if they're going to stay in their pjs their entire life stage. I try to make sure every toddler get's their own new, unique, pjs, but sometimes a kid ends up using a hand-me-down. I also try to make sure sims have a fall outerwear outfit and a winter outfit--especially sim kids! I guess I'm scarred from this one time the social worker took away my legacy kids because they got too cold. I was busy taking pictures of them snowball fighting and the next thing I know they were falling over, frozen in the snow. I exited without saving, but still! So yeah, if possible I try to make sure kids at least get winter coats but if they don't have a lot of money, then they make do with one outerwear outfit. Otherwise, I try to make sure they have more than one everyday outfit to change into as well, though I'm not always diligent about remembering to make them change.

But it's interesting this topic came up because a while back, when I started sorting my downloads for the umpteenth time, I asked myself this same question. Of my now 19.3 GB downloads (geez, I still can't believe it's gotten to be that high!), 5.5 GB are clothes. I know I probably should get rid of some stuff, but I just can't bare it. So I got stern with myself and said, 'ok, if you're gonna keep all these clothes, you have to use them.' I had to do the same with my cc cars a while back. To use more cars I made up some middle of nowhere rules about how sims travel and when they can walk vs use cars, etc. So now, to use more of my clothes cc, I'm implementing some rules. First rule is that my sims have to change clothes every 3 days or so. Maybe one day I'll get to changing clothes everyday, but for now, every 3 days is huge. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off at first.

But then I remembered that Monique made a mod to remind you to save your game. So I opened that up and changed the text to say something like "Laundry Day! Time to change clothes." Now I get a pop up every 72 hours, I think, and it reminds me to change my sims' clothes. I just started using that, and so far, so good. Now the next step will be making sure that my sims have a variety of clothes to change into, which can be a problem for poorer households. I'm still trying to figure out what's a good base for the amount of clothes a sim should have and I'm trying to figure out a way to hack a clothes rack or something to make clothes cheaper. I did figure out how to change prices for things by fiddling with Monique's computer (I installed the Llamabox cell phone default and wanted to make the price of the cell phone through the computer more expensive to match it), so I was going to mess around with an object and see if I could get it to be a different price. Oh, yeah! I fiddled with the Leefish's functional H&M clothing display! I was supposed to test that to see if it worked! If it does, then I'll know how to do it for other stuff and I'll clone some clothing racks or something and make my sims a discount thrift store for poorer sims/upcycling teens to visit.

I like the idea of each age having different stages/ranges, though. I'll definitely need to figure out a way to remember to gray up my aging adults and change them into some middle-aged wear!

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 8th May 2019 at 4:18 AM
To me, even if it was 1 day would not matter because unless it's the middle of summer it makes me uncomfortable to see babies in just a nappy. Babies lose heat very easily and yes that's real life but its the same reason I have a bannister around stairs, it feels safer and right. Second is it's really cute-baby clothes not bannisters.

haha, I like that "Laundry Day! Time to change clothes." Using the washers and dryers in my game is something I should do more often.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#31 Old 8th May 2019 at 4:43 AM
Oh yeah, washers & dryers! Some of my apartments have them, but the only ones using them right now are the apartment neighbors. I always forget to make my sims use them. I guess that'll be my phase 3--putting washers & dryers in every home, setting up laundromats, and actually making sims use them once a week.

And the baby clothes are cute--I just know I'll never be bothered to change them. Sometimes it's a challenge for me to remember to change toddlers' clothes & hair!

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Forum Resident
#32 Old 8th May 2019 at 7:42 PM Last edited by terula8 : 9th May 2019 at 5:33 PM.
I like to collect outfits for them, but I don't quite change them as often as I might want to. I have them buy new clothes each season - and kids get school clothes when the new school year starts. Every birthday - which is every year, or 12 game days, they get a new outfit as well - usually parallel to their current age, unless they've hit a major milestone age (whether official in-game or not). At that point, they'll get a slightly more mature outfit for whatever age group they're in. Like Jo, I dress older toddlers, children, and teens differently, and because I can work out exactly when a sim's birthday falls, I tend to know precisely how old they are, so I make small tweaks like adding makeup or removing a blankie or pacifier accessory, etc. when they're between milestone ages.

One thing I'm particular about is that they should only wear activity-specific items like dancewear or sports uniforms when they're doing that activity, so their active wear depends on their hobby interests, and if they're not into music and dance, they'll just have normal activewear, while if they're into sports or dance, they'll get a sports uniform or dancewear and normal active wear for work outs.

Edited to add: Last night I fell down the rabbit hole that is custom baby clothes. I was doomed from the start, but oh my goodness. I have two newborn sproglets in a test hood and both babbies have already been dressed and redressed probably 3 times each. I had no idea how much I needed this! Thank you, Chris Hatch!!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 13th May 2019 at 10:11 PM
Everyone of them has an outfit for winter and summer, and sometimes something in between for spring and fall. Exceptions are plant sims who don't need warm clothes in my headcanon, and the sims from strangetown, because they have a second summer when it is fall for the others and fall when it is winter in the other parts of the uberhood.
The outfits are chosen by their hobbies (Bandshirts for the musicians i.e., also do they train body with ballett, in the gym or with soccer?), favourite colour and sometimes their career.

Sorry for my grammar errors - english is not my native language :)
Theorist
#34 Old 13th May 2019 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
To me, even if it was 1 day would not matter because unless it's the middle of summer it makes me uncomfortable to see babies in just a nappy. Babies lose heat very easily and yes that's real life but its the same reason I have a bannister around stairs, it feels safer and right. Second is it's really cute-baby clothes not bannisters.

haha, I like that "Laundry Day! Time to change clothes." Using the washers and dryers in my game is something I should do more often.

I do the same with the railings around the stairs and on the edges of decks. The other day I was thinking about that, how a Sim just absolutely can't fall off a ledge. It's too bad, really, would have added an easy realistic death. And when it comes to my Sim babies I may not change their clothes but I DO have a default skin replacement that's like a sleeper. The only time I've ever known anyone to put a baby down in nothing more than a diaper is during the middle of summer when it's nearly a hundred degrees outside and you don't have air conditioning.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 13th May 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Last night I fell down the rabbit hole that is custom baby clothes. I was doomed from the start, but oh my goodness. I have two newborn sproglets in a test hood and both babbies have already been dressed and redressed probably 3 times each. I had no idea how much I needed this! Thank you, Chris Hatch!!

I assume you have been to Moonlightdragon? Because if not you want to get their baby stuff.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 14th May 2019 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I assume you have been to Moonlightdragon? Because if not you want to get their baby stuff.

That's like them falling down the rabbit hole and you piling earth on top to make sure they never get out. XD
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 14th May 2019 at 5:53 PM
Never! Just like me :D
Mad Poster
#38 Old 14th May 2019 at 8:04 PM
Question for Sims who never change their clothes: How often do you buy cologne?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 14th May 2019 at 8:25 PM
I do change my sims' clothes (as per post above), but (apart from testing out the function some unknown timeframe ago), my sims don't buy cologne. They rarely buy anything they can't get from the home lot somehow, because I haven't played with community lots for a long, long time.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#40 Old 14th May 2019 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Question for Sims who never change their clothes: How often do you buy cologne?

Sim Sample says: "Never, I don't want to hide the lovely smell of sweaty PVC. The chicks love it!"
Alchemist
#41 Old 14th May 2019 at 8:37 PM
I rarely buy cologne for my sims. I just always forget and there aren't that many sims attracted to it. Plus it lasts for such a short while. I think it probably woulda been better implemented in TS3 with moodlets, actually. Or maybe if it last longer, maybe if it acted more like love lotion... Idk. Right now my vampires use it as sunblock and that's really the only time it gets bought.

Theorist
#42 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:05 PM
I don't I've ever used the cologne. Half of the time I forget it exists.

It would be kind of fun though if they had laundry in Sims 2. That could be combined with a feature actually giving each Sim a defined wardrobe they randomly cycle through. And like, once they have worn them all you have to wash them or their hygiene bar can't raise over 50% or something.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 16th May 2019 at 12:17 AM
When I first played Sims 2 I remembered being shocked or disappointed that babies were just dressed in a nappy/diaper and there was no blanket over them in the cot/crib. I downloaded a Moses basket which covers them up. I don't know why Maxis couldn't have done that.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 16th May 2019 at 7:09 AM
Mad Poster
#45 Old 16th May 2019 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Sim Sample says: "Never, I don't want to hide the lovely smell of sweaty PVC. The chicks love it!"

Where is the 'ewww' tag?

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Cologne?

Aftershave.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#46 Old 16th May 2019 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Where is the 'ewww' tag?

What can I say? He's massively attractive. Even the statue is swooning!

Screenshots
Field Researcher
#47 Old 19th May 2019 at 12:53 PM
I admit, like many of us, I change my sims' clothes really rarely, mostly when they are ageing. However, I am trying to work on that to add more realism to my game (which is a constant struggle).
One of my favourite things to do is to use separates, they add a lot of variety and it's really realistic to combine, for example, one bottom and a lot of different tops. I particularly love doing that for formal outfits, because I think that in real life not everyone owns a fancy suit. I just get a nice shirt and have them wear it with a decent pair of jeans or trousers. That works really great for males.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 19th May 2019 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
What can I say? He's massively attractive. Even the statue is swooning!

Well the woman looks like she shares his taste in clothing. They could be a perfect match. XD
Page 2 of 2