Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 11:35 PM
Default Adding a texture (TXTR) file
I cloned the Magisplay Tray from OFB to make a basket from it, because I like the option for selling things and slots it has. But the package is missing a TXTR file to make a new texture for it. I have read all kind of info and think it is so, that this is one of those ojects that get "color" by the MMAT instead of by a TXTRfile.
Is it possible to add a TXTR file to the package so I can give my basket a real basket-texture?
I'm quite new to objectcreating, only made a tutorial table and deco objects, but can use any directions and links you're willing to give.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 12:25 AM
When you cloned it, did you make sure the "Create as Stand-Alone Item" was checked? If so, you should have a TXTR file.
Test Subject
#3 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 2:58 AM
I have a question, What's the happen if I don'n get GUID ??
And What is the "GUID" mean ?

Thanks so much ^^.

Just visit my deviant !
Field Researcher
#4 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 7:41 AM
The guid is very important. You have to assign a new guid to each object for it to not overwrite the original.

Also, the reason there is no txtr resource is because there is no texture for a glass object of that kind. You can try adding a subset or change the material definition. Either way, you wont get a texture file, because the object is only a mesh with a special setting to make it look like glass. You may have to clone another object even though you want the BHAV's.

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 9:42 AM
Sweetswami77, yes, I cloned it with create a standalone package.
SimArchitect, I already feared that.
Thank you both for the quick answer to my question.
So this means I need info how to import the BHAV's from the Magisplay Tray into another package, or how to import an other GMDC into the Magisplay Tray.
This mesh contains 2 GMDC, one is the displaycasecounter_root.... contains the info about the slots and such I think, and I didn't changed anything on that one, and the other second GMDC is the one I changed the mesh to look like a basket.

I think I will go read IgnorantBliss's tutorial about adding a subset again, is there any other tutorial or info you can suggest me to read about combining or adding mesh/package parts/files/BHAV's??
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 12:08 PM
Thank you very much ^^

Just visit my deviant !
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 1:23 PM
Though remember cocomama, if there is no txtr resource in the resource tree then your going to have to do al little more in depth research on how to add one, making it work with the rest of the resources. Hopefully that makes sense?

Id just fiddle with it for a bit if I were you, and if all fails then just clone a new object and do it all over again.

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 10:04 AM
After much reading and 3 days ending in a headache, I still don't know what to do. I feel like treasure hunting without a map and digging everywhere on the beach. Also after cloning the tray lost the ability holding and selling objects from it. I checked if it was a self-referencing object but it was not, as far as I can see.
Would someone please be so kind to mark an X on my treasurehunting map, so I know where to dig for the info I need? A link to a tutorial or post. or just the words I have to use for the search filter??
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 11:18 AM
Hey

Probably your easiest option here is to copy the necessary files from another object and link them in with yours. Here's one way to do it.

- Clone a "donor" object, one which has a txtr in it. I'd suggest a painting.
- Extract the txmt and txtr files from this object into files (just one set, don't get shadows or anything).
- Go back to your tray package, and copy the filename from the txmt
- Import the two saved files into your tray package.
- Delete the old txmt, then paste the new filename over the top of the imported txmt's filename.
- Commit this change, then go to Tools > Object Tools > Fix Integrity.

At this point it should *probably* work for you. You'll probably want to tidy it up by renaming the txtr to match the naming schema for the rest of the scenegraph. Then you'll also need to fix the references to it in the txmt then rerun the Fix Integrity. I don't know if that's strictly necessary, but it's a darn good idea if you might want to clone it or recolour it in the future.
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 10:36 PM Last edited by Cocomama : 25th Sep 2008 at 3:28 PM.
Thank you very very much Echo, it worked and the basket now has a texture and is recolorable!! I also had to change the comment in the GMDC-mesh in Milkshape from 7 to -1.
Please can someone help me with re-enable the functions of the slots so it is possible to put objects in the basket and sell them??
I cloned it with only basegame+OFB+CEP default options+stand-alone checked.

edit 19-9 Checking the placement and init behaviours I didn't found any that my package has different than a clone of the tray made with all options unchecked, and the slot info in the CRES looks the same too. As I have no idea what I'm looking for, it is possible I missed something. Currently I'm reading everything I can find on slots and behaviours, but haven't found anything related to the slots stop working.

Would someone please point me in the right direction??

edit 25-9 I removed the files, can't find what is wrong with this tray mesh, maybe this is just a mesh that is not good for cloning, so I will move on and try something else.
Echo, thanks for the answer of how to add a TXTR-file, it sure will be usefull in some future object.

This post can be marked as solved.