Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 5:25 PM
Default 3DS Max exporting issues?
I recently started using 3ds max, and I tried to import into SimPE [I exported as .obj in max] and I get an error that says:
Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Any suggestions?

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 1:36 AM
Hi pacotacoplayer

I always exportfrom max in 3ds file type and import into SimPE using skankyboys plugin. Ive not had any problems yet. I export from SimPE with skankys plugin too in 3ds.

The obj exporter from max doesnt seem to work. I had the same thing.

So, all you need to do after pressing export in SimPE is open the file window up and change the file type. Itll be that type then until you change it.

Good luck
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 3:18 AM
Thanks so much for that!
But now I have a new problem -
When I import into SimPE , my mesh sort of changes. Like different parts of my mesh are all over the place. I exported in max as .3ds and imported into simpe...and when I click Preview my mesh is just crazy....
What do I do about that?

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Instructor
#4 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 5:39 AM
1. Obj certainly shouldn't be used with Max.
2. Which option did you used when import in SimPE? In the combobox containing Add/Rename/Replace/Update, you may only use Add/Rename/Replace - never Update.
3. Is the object special in any sense - does it have bones or morphs?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 5:21 PM
I just did Import - Replace, and no, it's just a regular boneless/morphless mesh.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 12:00 AM
'Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.' I usually got this problem when my objects were unmapped. Make sure your objects are mapped correctly.

If it's not that then I don't know sorry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 1:27 AM
It's okay, haha, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem, because I did map it.
But here I'll attatch the file so it's easier to find the problem. It's a .3ds
Attached files:
File Type: zip  patio tent.zip (28.9 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Instructor
#8 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 5:42 AM
I have an earlier version of Max, so I can't open you file But, if Manga_Moon says that it happens for unmapped objects - when export in 3ds, there should be extra dialog with the checkbox 'Preserve MAX's Texture Coordinates' - did you had such dialog, and if yes, did you checked it?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 3:58 AM Last edited by Manga_Moon : 28th Jul 2008 at 4:21 AM.
Sorry pacotacoplayer I've tried opening your file in Max 9 and 7 but none seem to want to open it? ( And it's a .max file not a .3ds file - .max files can *only* be opened in Max but a .3ds file can be imported into almost any 3D program and checked out )

I myself do not seem to have any problems whatsoever with the .obj and Max I can import / export .obj files just like any other program so that got me thinking the problem just might lie elsewhere, unless you are using an older version of Max than me.

Select your Patio Tent in Max, and add the modifier called 'Unwrap UVW'. Click on Edit and you should see your map in there. (Sorry might be different don't know which version you are using). If your map does not appear in there then the map hasn't worked correctly.

If your map is there, the problem lies somewhere else. I just usually got that error when I forgot to map my object (lol).
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 4:32 AM
Paco, can you please povide an exported 3ds format for your tent. Did you mirror any parts? I have had issues in the past when Ive used the mirror option. As a general rule I usually dont have problems.

If we could get into your file it would really help.

I use Max 9 by the way. Which version are you using?

Mummysim