Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 2:14 PM
Default "Slave" object developments?
Some time ago Numenor and RGiles were trying to help me make hacked objects that would pick up any recolours made for the original object. Unfortunately it all ended up going over my head.

Have there been any developments or new knowledge that would make this any easier for me yet? My users are getting restless for variety :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 10:19 PM
That should be able to be done. Do your object have the same named subsets in the GMDC as the original object? If so you should be able to "link" the colors back to the original package. There was a tutorial on enabling colour options that had the process. Do a search on tsMaterialsMeshName and you should find it.
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 10:07 AM
Well, as my objects stand they have absolutely none of the (I believe it's called scenegraph?) files in them at all. As I hack mainly just BHAVs, I delete all the graphic stuff apart from the MMATs and the Simantics files, and tell the package what object it's meant to be using the meshname in a string file.

I *could* do complete clones with the graphics data included, but they'd always be about 10 times larger than they really needed to be

I knew/know of the tutorials you mention, but they were too hard for me to understand, which is why I asked if there had been any new developments recently that might make it a simpler process for someone who is not dealing with new graphics.

Currently there is a way of making my objects pick up recolours but it relies on the user following a small tutorial I wrote to add each recolour they like via its MMATs, rather than pciking them up automatically
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 1:09 PM
Possibly it would work if you included the gmnd but I'm not sure if you can do that with out the other associated files. If I can get some free time I'll play around with one of your hacks to see if I can get it to work.
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 1:15 PM
Well Numenor did my reservable crib for me, but my problem is I am so thick when it comes to the graphical bits that I am afraid that I'll end up always having to ask someone else to do it for me as a favour, which will be annoying to the person who always ends up doing it. I just wish SimPE had that option so you click a box and there it all was set up :D

I think it would be particularly wonderful if you could help me get it working on my lockable doors, though