Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 12:40 AM
Default Online dating
Hi Everybody,
I'm curious what your experiences are with the online dating option.
My sim responded to a message from one of her admirers on the computer and then nothing happened.. She put aside her pride and phoned him. They had their date 'the old fashioned way'. Is that all there is to online dating or am I missing something?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 12:45 AM
I didn't use it much but your sim is required to do the first step I think to ask the person out on a real date. There's a "meet a person from online" wish or something you can fulfill. I once accepted a message and completely forgot about it for various sim weeks. Needless to say I got a letter from the sim saying something along the lines of: "oh, you're still around? I didn't notice". It also told my sim off for not giving her nay attention and then implied she's not interested anymore.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 1:15 AM
well, it's not a "dating online" thing. it's basically a way for your sim to meet people online to date. it actually makes it way easier to find single sims and pick who you want to get to know.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 1:20 AM
I actually haven't tried it yet, but are you sure they are single? I keep getting love letters and phone calls from men I know are married.
Instructor
#5 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 2:48 AM
They are just all the men in the 'hood. In Sunset Valley, Nick Alto (married), Geoffrey Landgraab (married), Thornton Wolff (married), etc were all available to "date". But so were the unmarrieds. It helps if you're familiar with whom is in the 'hood and who is or isn't married.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 3:06 AM
That's what bugs me, I'm playing sunset valley at the moment and the majority of the male sims available to meet up and stuff are married... It gets kind of annoying getting messages from married sims, my sim just wants to get some good old single man candy darnit...

You gonna do something killer?
C'mon give it a try...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 4:02 AM
Maybe they did it this way with full intent, as some sort of commentary on real life online dating, lol.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
#8 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 5:06 AM
I haven't used it yet because my Sim is in a relationship currently, but I did check it out for curiosity's sake...

They need to add more body types to it. There are WAY more body types out there in the world than just "slim", "athletic", and "more to love". My Sim is pretty curvy, so I put "more to love", but they should add in a few more body types, like "average", and "curvy". Every real online dating site I've seen has those two as options.

It would also be nice if you could add traits, favorites, and a body type that your Sim would prefer. That way you could match profiles better.
Instructor
#9 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 6:22 AM
Oh, it can be worse. So much worse.
My female Sim (pre-made EA family in Riverview) recently got a love letter from HER OWN FATHER. As always, EA forgot to add some restrictions, it seems. Just like the gift-giving family pets that write letters when your Sim marries. *rolls eyes*
I like the Online Dating feature, though. Sure, my Sims are obsessed with it but it's a nice way of finding a Sim's "perfect match", even though the dating system includes married Sims. I felt kind of sad when my female Riverview Sim had the hots for some married bloke and ended up marrying him, booting his ex-wife and daughter from their estate. ... And he wrote a love letter to his daughter. BLAH. :P
Instructor
#10 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 6:39 AM
Hopefully they'll fix some of the issues in future updates. The incest option with the online dating system seems more like an oversight I guess, and I'd imagine it's a big enough flaw that they'd want to fix it as quickly as possible.
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
Oh, it can be worse. So much worse.
My female Sim (pre-made EA family in Riverview) recently got a love letter from HER OWN FATHER. As always, EA forgot to add some restrictions, it seems. Just like the gift-giving family pets that write letters when your Sim marries. *rolls eyes*

Actually, I've noticed that for awhile now, not sure after which patch, the wedding gifts from everyone, not just pets, stopped arriving. Kind of bums me out, as my horse was always good for a nice piece of art.
Scholar
#12 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Actually, I've noticed that for awhile now, not sure after which patch, the wedding gifts from everyone, not just pets, stopped arriving. Kind of bums me out, as my horse was always good for a nice piece of art.

yeah ive not had wedding presents for ages either! and i have a lot of weddings because my sim at the moment is a goldigger and her husbands keep dying haha

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 3:13 PM
I want a mod or something that doesn't list sims who are married in the online dating profiles unless that sim has commitment issue and or flirty traits.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 6:38 PM
All I find is Sims who are married. I need single men!

I also put my online profile on, and my sim ended up marrying a man she met at the festival. I took her dating profile off, and both of them get nonstop calls asking for dates from their friends. I am not even kidding, there were 19 calls in one day between the two, I ended up counting because they just wouldn't stop calling. I ended up just not answering their phones anymore. They're married and have four kids, they're not interested in you!

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Instructor
#15 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SpookyOkyBatGirl

I also put my online profile on, and my sim ended up marrying a man she met at the festival. I took her dating profile off, and both of them get nonstop calls asking for dates from their friends. I am not even kidding, there were 19 calls in one day between the two, I ended up counting because they just wouldn't stop calling. I ended up just not answering their phones anymore. They're married and have four kids, they're not interested in you!

You know, it's kind of sad, but I was on a real life online dating site for a while (okcupid) and there are really guys who will constantly message you a billion times a day until you block them. Unfortunate realism is unfortunate.
Instructor
#16 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 8:08 PM
Guys! This is the PERFECT time for the drop prince and or princess charming in the 'hood method. Just go into Edit Town and enter CAS make some hot bachelors and bachelorettes, sprinkle them across empty lots in your world and tadaa! Fresh online dating meat!

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
One Minute Ninja'd
#17 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
You know, it's kind of sad, but I was on a real life online dating site for a while (okcupid) and there are really guys who will constantly message you a billion times a day until you block them. Unfortunate realism is unfortunate.

I didn't message you a billion times a day. All you had to do was ask me to type slower, instead of just blocking me.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SpookyOkyBatGirl

LOL. My sim had that issue, wound up with an alien. Pretty sure none of THEM are married
Forum Resident
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 1:59 PM
I LOVE the online dating option. It's so funny, I've actually been laughing out loud from it. I put a set of sisters in town for my active sim to get to know. He sends her messages 2 night in a row. The third night she finally responds and says.." Um thanks for the interest, but ewwww NO!!!" Lmao I had to look again like WHAT??? But here's the funny part, I really felt bummed out like she said it to ME, and now I hate that sim lmao~~ So yeah the online feature is probably ( besides the gorgeous weather), one of the best features added!!!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:46 PM
I enjoy the "Online Dating" feature also. It's a great way to "chat with someone" online without accidentally getting a teen Sim. (I hate when that happens, especially when I'm trying to have a Sim meet someone online.) The Woohooer mod by Twallan makes the online dating feature even more enjoyable. On occasion, I like to cyber woohoo with people my Sims meet through online dating. One of my favorite features.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 12:46 AM
One of my sims sent a sim she saw on there a message, and he replied with "yeah sure lets meet up" or something like that. I accepted his message and he got added to my relationship panel. I asked him out and he was like "not right now" a few times until he finally said "why would I ever want to go out with you?" Why did you accept my message if you didn't want to go out with me? o.O
Scholar
#22 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilibug1
One of my sims sent a sim she saw on there a message, and he replied with "yeah sure lets meet up" or something like that. I accepted his message and he got added to my relationship panel. I asked him out and he was like "not right now" a few times until he finally said "why would I ever want to go out with you?" Why did you accept my message if you didn't want to go out with me? o.O

hes not worth your time, theres plenty more fish in the sea, hes just not worth it hunny! *hug*

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gemly_teddie
hes not worth your time, theres plenty more fish in the sea, hes just not worth it hunny! *hug*

I found out later that he had a girlfriend this whole time. I finally went into CAS and made her a boyfriend. The online dating system is just too much work.
Instructor
#24 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 5:57 PM
The more I play Seasons the more I think the online dating thing is seriously bugged. I think it has some faulty line of code that automatically puts Sims on the online dating thing without them ever interacting with it. Last night I made a new Sim family for my neighborhood and moved them into a home, then went back to playing my Sim. The game was paused the entire time I was in "edit town" mode, and 2 minutes had gone by before I had my Sim check the online dating profiles, and lo and behold everyone in the new family I had just created had already signed up for online dating. And with wildly different traits and body types than they actually had. PLUS! Their house didn't even have a computer.

I love the online dating feature and I think it's a great little flavor tool for our Sims, but they need to fix a few glaring errors in it with the next patch.
Instructor
#25 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
The more I play Seasons the more I think the online dating thing is seriously bugged. I think it has some faulty line of code that automatically puts Sims on the online dating thing without them ever interacting with it. Last night I made a new Sim family for my neighborhood and moved them into a home, then went back to playing my Sim. The game was paused the entire time I was in "edit town" mode, and 2 minutes had gone by before I had my Sim check the online dating profiles, and lo and behold everyone in the new family I had just created had already signed up for online dating. And with wildly different traits and body types than they actually had. PLUS! Their house didn't even have a computer.

I love the online dating feature and I think it's a great little flavor tool for our Sims, but they need to fix a few glaring errors in it with the next patch.

As usual, good idea but horribly implemented. Same thing happened to me. I decide to try the online dating with one of my other families and to my surprise I didn't have to set up a profile for one of the sims in the household. He already had a profile up with pending messages.

A "feature" is that sims are able to lie on their online profile but it happens much too often. Same as the weather report. Mishaps should be an exception to the rule, the people making TS3 seem to have a terrible time trying to grasping this concept.

It would have been nice if teens could use the feature too. So I can quickly scan the pool of teens and choose which would be a good candidate for my offspring to date and go to the prom with.

Quote:
Page 1 of 2