Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 5:54 PM
Default Random CAS textures glitch - CC not responsible?
Hi guys,

I've been playing a family in Hidden Springs for several weeks and had no issues, then as of yesterday during gameplay this very odd glitch has appeared in CAS where the textures for everything are completely messed up (see photos).

I have run the basic troubleshooting steps I always would when the Sims throws something new at me - deleted cache files, quarantined all mods, run without launcher CC, and despite all of this being in place (essentially running the game as vanilla with EPs) the glitch persists, although only affects the face (photo 2).

I wonder if somehow the game file for this particular sim has been corrupted, as she seems to be the only one affected. Tried simply 'resetsim' but no happiness there either.

Any help appreciated! Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place, first time posting and had a bit of difficulty navigating.

System Specs:
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory available: 497.73 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg  Photo1.jpeg (821.2 KB, 53 downloads)
Description: Major glitch
File Type: jpeg  Photo2.jpeg (632.4 KB, 24 downloads)
Description: Without any CC or mods
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 7:07 PM
I think you may need to provide those photo files another way. All I see is an error when I try to look at them.

Does this happen in other worlds, such as if you begin a test game elsewhere? Or if you take your TS3 user game folder out of Documents (or rename it) so that another one spawns? I'm still suspecting a lingering CC issue from your description, but the clean folder test should help confirm or dispel that. You can put the original game folder back if needed and if this doesn't reveal anything helpful.

Also, how much RAM does your Mac have? Where you have "Memory available" listed, that would be hard drive space which is different. The Mac version of the game is majorly crippled in that it can only address half the RAM that the Windows version can and it's possible you are reaching the 2 GB limit in order to run this ongoing save. Have you tried purging RAM before and during gameply in an attempt to stay under this limit?
https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay

For whatever it's worth, from seeing the graphics card you have I take it you are playing on the same or similar mid-2011 iMac model that I am. Except that I gave up on the crippled Mac version of the game long ago, Bootcamped Windows, and have been playing the Windows version instead for many years now. The Mac version still works, but the prospects for long-running games on all EPs and with the mods I choose to have in play are very limited even with constant RAM purging.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 2:37 AM Last edited by igazor : 8th Apr 2019 at 3:32 AM.
(scratching head) Sorry, my prognosis may have been too severe. Somehow I managed to miss the part where this was only affecting one sim.

I can see the photos now and still think this is somehow related to bad CC. But certainly what Nitromon suggests and a MasterController reset of the sim rather than the testingcheats kind (that one doesn't really do very much) would be in order.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
(scratching head) Sorry, my prognosis may have been too severe. Somehow I managed to miss the part where this was only affecting one sim.

I can see the photos now and still think this is somehow related to bad CC. But certainly what Nitromon suggests and a MasterController reset of the sim rather than the testingcheats kind (that one doesn't really do very much) would be in order.

Thanks for your advice, I regenerated the whole Sims 3 game files as you suggested earlier and the problem has resolved. I suspect bad CC too, what was odd was that I hadn't edited anything recently, all the CC that she was interacting with (or wearing) had caused no problems for several weeks, but that's the Sims sometimes for you!

Purging RAM is something I've never looked into too much before, but yes it sounds like were on the same MAC model so if I run into problems again I'll be sure to check that as well.

Thanks again! *Resolved*
Field Researcher
#7 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
For whatever it's worth, from seeing the graphics card you have I take it you are playing on the same or similar mid-2011 iMac model that I am. Except that I gave up on the crippled Mac version of the game long ago, Bootcamped Windows, and have been playing the Windows version instead for many years now. The Mac version still works, but the prospects for long-running games on all EPs and with the mods I choose to have in play are very limited even with constant RAM purging.

Are you still playing on that old mac? Yikes, you should probably get a gaming pc if you wanna play seriously.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 5:06 AM
Yeah that's a big yikes, I'd say. I wouldn't run TS3 on 2011 anything, in fact I wouldn't have run TS3 on 2011 anything 3 years ago!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 6:15 AM Last edited by igazor : 9th Apr 2019 at 6:54 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
Are you still playing on that old mac? Yikes, you should probably get a gaming pc if you wanna play seriously.

Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Yeah that's a big yikes, I'd say. I wouldn't run TS3 on 2011 anything, in fact I wouldn't have run TS3 on 2011 anything 3 years ago!

My Macs have always outlasted their expected lifespans and this one is no exception. This is not a laptop so it doesn't get moved and banged around routinely, its processor, graphics card, 2 TB HDD, and 8 GB of RAM are holding up just fine, thank you, and it runs the entire game as well as I need it to on Windows. How dare either of you even say these things? I'm going to have to take some drastic action here.

(Flexes muscles, puffs out chest, immediately has a coughing fit, passes out. Comes to a while later.) Okay, did I do that correctly and did it impress anyone?

There is a replacement plan in the works for an up to date iMac with the product line just having been refreshed, which is part of what I had been waiting for, and again on Windows the game will then run even better. But one of the points of spending so much money on the hardware when one can is so that it lasts longer. This one is getting a bit cranky here and there (like me), I can't run Mojave, the most recent Mac OS on it, nor Win 10 for that matter because the Bootcamp Assistant version I require can't be updated far enough, but it's not ready to be put out of service just yet (again, like me). Thanks for branding me as a less than serious player though, I don't get called that very often.

Edit: Please, before the hardware arguments all start up again. I'm joking about being offended, I actually don't care. But then I am not a serious PC gamer. I make an exception for maybe one or two games at a time that capture my affection, and TS3 has been one of them, so those are the applications among others not game-related I need for productivity that I make sure can be carried sufficiently. I have to believe that many of us who continue to sim successfully on older hardware sets feel the same way.