Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 1:40 AM
Default Converting Sims 2 Objects to Sims 3
I probably need to look harder, but...

I have been wanting to convert Psychosim's awesome Sims 2 aircraft (the Albatros and his other planes) into Sims 3. I have already asked him and got permission to do so, so that's part one done.

Now, ACTUALLY converting - what programs would I need to get to do this? I would do recolors in Sims 2, but I know that's completely not anything like creating for 3 (which is why I've put it off for so long).

I'll keep searching for tutorials on here and the Wiki. I just wanted to ask it, since it's been sitting in my brain for about 6 months now. If I can learn to convert items, it would be helpful in my story-writing.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 2:54 PM
Damn. I've done this, I should know it. Okay, so really quick:

Open the package with SimPE.
Extract some of the weirdly named TS2 files.
Open an equivalent TS3 package.
Extract the equivalent files.
???
Open both in Milkshape and assign all materials from the TS3 mesh to the TS2 one, then correct UV mapping where needed.
Find and replace in the original TS3 package.
???
Done.

That's not a tutorial by any means, that's an overview of the process. I did it in an hour or two once I knew what the hell I was doing, but it's a while ago now so I'd have to probably figure it out again.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
#3 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:50 PM
I understand that there's a slightly different way to convert Maxis content. I'd like to try converting the (Deluxe) Veil of Dreams from the base game.
Site Helper
#4 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:53 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ersion_Tutorial

(Although you've probably found it by now.) It's written for a beginner, so you should be able to follow it fairly well.

Edit: This should work for any TS2 mesh.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#5 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:56 PM
I'm gonna have a go at that. The only problem I have with using MilkShape is that you have to pay to keep using it (30-day trial), so I need to hurry.
Site Helper
#6 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:59 PM
It's not completely necessary to use Milkshape. Blender would also work if you have the plugins (as long as you don't get horribly lost while trying to use Blender...)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 5:41 AM
It might take me some time to learn it, but I think once school is in session for the kiddo, I'd have more time to spend and get to converting. XD Thanks, everyone!

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 7:14 AM
I've already got Blender so it might be easier for me to use that. Plus there's no time strain.