Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 3:06 AM Last edited by Tatatouille : 20th Oct 2013 at 3:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Tatatouille
A lot of times when I follow the link to the mesh, it is a broken link (Not necessarily a broken link to the page from MTS, but a broken link to the mesh from the original site, if that makes sense?)

Example... Like this one:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=366331
It needs the mesh, but when I click on it from the XM site, I get this:
http://hair100.sims2.xmsims.com/sim...MeshHair085.zip

Or this one, where the links to the mesh lead no where :
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=325656
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
#77 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 4:31 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 20th Oct 2013 at 4:57 PM.
A lot of times when I follow the link to the mesh, it is a broken link (Not necessarily a broken link to the page from MTS, but a broken link to the mesh from the original site, if that makes sense?)

Three things you can do.
1. Contact the MTS recolor creator and ask them to upload the mesh. They should still have it, and can probably post it if the original site is dead.
2. If the creator is gone, post in WCIF and ask if someone else can post the mesh. If they do, contact an admin and ask them if they might update the thread.
3. Google for the mesh. If it was on mediafire, it's probably still there, even if the site it came from is dead. Suppose you find a dead site, page no longer there. Get to it with the wayback machine. Then follow the link to the mesh, usually on the live web. Again, let a mod know you found the mesh and the link needs fixing.

Nobody likes broken links, but mods can't really patrol every thread all the time looking for them. It helps tremendously if someone can find the mesh and let the mods know the link is broken.

edit: Almost forgot....
4. Check Sims2graveyard, and contribute what you can to it.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#78 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 9:13 AM
The only problem I have come across is when I download certain things, like (Sims 2) hair for instance. A lot of times when I follow the link to the mesh, it is a broken link

This gives me another new idea - and I am afraid one that would mean more work for Delphy - I wonder if some script could amble through the posts at some arbitrary cycle, testing links found in download posts to see if they are still alive, and flag up the thread if not? Perhaps also send a notice to the thread owner. I am only talking about download posts and tutorials, not their comments or social topics.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#79 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Nobody likes broken links, but mods can't really patrol every thread all the time looking for them. It helps tremendously if someone can find the mesh and let the mods know the link is broken.

Completely understandable, that would definitely be a ton of work. Those links are a huge help, thanks! Some of the recolor creators haven't been around for some time so I'll post links in the comment threads if I find any of the meshes I was looking for.
Not actually evil.
#80 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 8:10 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 20th Oct 2013 at 9:05 PM.
Completely understandable, that would definitely be a ton of work. Those links are a huge help, thanks! Some of the recolor creators haven't been around for some time so I'll post links in the comment threads if I find any of the meshes I was looking for.

Thanks, help is very much appreciated. However, please also post in Site Issues, so a moderator can update the thread with the correct link. Tell them which thread, and where the mesh is now.

Also, see Inge's post up a bit about an automatic link crawler that would look for dead links. If we get that, it would help creators (or mods if creators are gone) keep stuff updated. I envision the dead link crawler would look something like this bit from Monty Python, because I don't actually do site coding.

Bring out your dead!

Test Subject
#81 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I wonder if some script could amble through the posts at some arbitrary cycle, testing links found in download posts to see if they are still alive, and flag up the thread if not?

Most links from MTS seem to work. They get you to the site you need but it is the links from those sites to the mesh itself that don't work. The biggest one I have had problems with is XM Sims.
(I just didn't want you doing a lot of work for nothing, as I said before, it's not really a MTS problem, more a problem getting to the actual meshes that are not included in downloads)
Field Researcher
#82 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 12:41 AM Last edited by dreamfoil : 22nd Oct 2013 at 4:06 AM.
My fave thing about MTS is it's high standards. It's what makes MTS better than other general CC upload sites. I like that MTS' mods have checked it out so I feel safe downloading.

The creator's thread has great suggestions, and I the ideas for loosening the reins on the upload queue sound great.

MTS gets alot of hate, but the other alternative heads in the direction of TSR, just without the money. Sure some crap falls through the cracks, but shit happens people make mistakes.

So, what I'm trying to say don't go too far trying to please everyone.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 6:37 AM
I would love to see a thanks button on the my downloads page. It would enable me to thank everyone who's creations I've enjoyed without having to go to hundreds of different threads individually.

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Not actually evil.
#84 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 2:33 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 23rd Oct 2013 at 2:59 AM.
Creators who change their names on MTS make it hard to find their old stuff. MTS has a great feature of putting "MTS_creatorname_" at the front of downloaded files. I had some capris made by HappySim I wanted to leave feedback about. HappySim is now Abbey12388. Had a bit of trouble finding the thread the capris were from (found it with search filters). To complicate matters, there is now another user named happysim, with no uploads, so for a while I wondered if HappySim had removed all her stuff.

Please keep the old creator's name in your database, and have the creator name search take people to the creator's page with their current name whether they type in the new name or old name. Don't let other people take the old name, this just leads to confusion. Maybe this would take too much coding to be worth it. If so, please just don't let creators change names.

Quote: Originally posted by Chicken0895
I would love to see a thanks button on the my downloads page. It would enable me to thank everyone who's creations I've enjoyed without having to go to hundreds of different threads individually.

I appreciate the thought, as a creator, but why would you go to hundreds of threads??? Why not just click thanks when you download, if you feel like clicking thanks. You're not obligated to. The thanks button is not a second download counter. We creators love thanks, we really do, but it's not like you have to go hit it for every single thing you've ever downloaded. To me, the thanks button is a bit of personal interaction, and means someone liked my stuff that extra little bit so they hit thanks instead of just downloading. If you make thanks automatic, and make it thank several hundred things at once, it's rather impersonal, and as a creator, I don't really see the point of an impersonal 2nd download counter. It's the *personal interaction* of thanks and comments that creators like. I'm sure most of us are reasonable and will not get all huffy because someone didn't thank an upload they got five years ago. Also, a "thank everything I ever downloaded" button would have to keep track of what stuff you already thanked, or it would thank stuff multiple times. That's some complicated coding.

Test Subject
#85 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 7:59 AM
I love this site. Its one of the easiest to use in regards to downloading game content/mods/etc and I use it almost exclusively. The search feature could use a bit of work though. A few nights ago I was searching for stuff for The Sims 2 and it kept bringing in Sims 3 stuff, granted not all the time, but enough that I had to slow down a bit and make sure what I was getting was for TS2. I even checked to make sure I had it on Sims 2 just to be sure I wasn't botching it or had accidentally switched over with a distracted mouse click. I hadn't. So yeah, a bit of tweaking to the Search Engine would be very nice. Also adding a warning on the Sims 2 stuff when a link is dead or might be dead would be very nice. I spent at least an hour chasing dead links in my search for Male clothing (really hate the maxis stuff and had been putting off the search for a while) for my Simmies. I noticed that you had added a warning about missing content so adding another one about possible dead links probably wouldn't be overly difficult. Other than that this site is great as it is and you guys should keep up the good work!
Test Subject
#86 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 2:56 PM
I love MTS, most of my CC comes from here.
These are suggestions in this thread I agree with, plus a few of my own:

- Better navigation, after reading this thread (and discovering a few things myself) I think the options hidden in my links and user tools should be made into a nav bar so people know it's there.
- better install instructions, I find it confusing that install instructions never has any instructions for the actual download, just general ones. Wouldn't it be better if instructions were written there, instead of in the description?
- better search, right now it is too strict and doesn't find stuff you find with google.
- better filters, a Buy Mode button in Sims 2 would be great!
- quick thanks button from My Downloads panel, because sometimes you just go on a spree and forget to hit the thanks button. I don't think it makes it less meaningful. I do sincerely want to thank the creators of the things i download, sometimes I thank stuff i don't even download/use, just because it's awesome!
- bookmark downloads, so you can come back to them later. Sometimes I use favorites for that, but favorites should really be special.
- update alerts/auto subscribe, for anything you download. Especially for mods that can make your game go boom.
- Downloaded button visible from the search results, because sometimes you just forget what you have. Make the Downloaded button more visible on the downlaod page itself, like next to the title. I didn't know it was there untill I read this thread...
- Report Broken button, so users can report missing/broken links/files. this would display warning box at the top of the page like "this download has been reported as broken, some of the links/files needed for it to work might be broken/missing". this would warn other users, as well as alert moderator and maybe prompt people to share files they have that are missing.
- Tag Box at the top of Description, I like to know at a glance what a download is about, what ages a hair is for, if a mesh is needed, if it's maxis match... When a description is too long/too short/has lots of images, the info in the tag box is actually very useful (especially with older uploads) and it's a shame it is now at the bottom of the page.
Site Helper
#87 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 8:35 PM
Most downloads are installed the same way. Drop the package into a Sims 2 Downloads folder or the Sims 3 Mods/Packages folder. The general install instructions in the "Install Instructions" tab are perfectly adequate for them. If there are specific instructions, they need to be in the first tab that opens when you browse to the download to make it more likely that a downloader will read them. Is it more confusing to have special instructions in the description of a mod, or to have some downloads open to the install instructions tab?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#88 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 9:46 PM
But what would happen if you ended up downloading two different versions of one item? Or if you downloaded, say, all four of fakepeeps' baby outfits without realising that they conflict with each other? Or if there were some special download/usage instructions that you didn't even know about because you just downloaded everything from the browser?

Funnily enough, this is a suggestion that's come up in the creators' thread as well, and most of the creators who've commented have said they wouldn't want that, because they already get too many complaints from downloaders who think their stuff is broken because they didn't read the instructions . I'd be interested to hear what an instruction non-reading downloader would say to that!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 9:47 PM
Adding a download-without-visiting-the-page option simply will not be added. Sorry, TotallySimsCrazy - but we ask uploaders to put information about their upload in the text of the post, and it's hard enough getting people to actually read what may be critical information without letting them skip it entirely. There's also no way to say "thanks" to the creator that way (no place to even put the button - while there's a blank space in "my idea" on your screenshot, that space fills up with EP icons on other uploads), and the amount of thanks that creators get is already really woefully low.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 10:16 PM
I do second a 'thanks' button in the 'Downloaded Items' section. Not a mass thanks button, but the ability to thank individual threads. When I download from someone I haven't downloaded from before I want to check the object out in game before I thank it. Sometimes I'm lazy; sometimes I don't have much time and want to see if there's anything interesting before I open my game (it takes two hours to load the game and a family so I try to fit the loading times around something I have to do); sometimes I forget about the thanks button; sometimes I don't know whether I will use the content.
I don't know whether that's possible or not, but to me it sounds nifty and like something I would definitely use. There are many other great ideas in this thread and the creator's thread! I check them every time I open MTS because not only are they entertaining, but the ideas are good and I very much appreciate how open you moderators are to ideas and influence from the creators and downloaders.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 4:52 AM
Love the site! Reading this thread, I have actually learned more about the site features than I knew before, so thanks!
The only problem I have come across is when I download certain things, like (Sims 2) hair for instance. A lot of times when I follow the link to the mesh, it is a broken link (Not necessarily a broken link to the page from MTS, but a broken link to the mesh from the original site, if that makes sense?) or the site is not there any more. And most sites require you to register with them before you can download. Personally I don't like registering at a bunch of sites, especially when I may only want one item/mesh from them.
I know that isn't a problem with MTS tho. I guess I just wish that the meshes could be included in the download (if the mesh is a free mesh).
Maybe creators could ask permission to include meshes? That would be my only suggestion.

I agree with you...I've come across so many beautiful clothes, houses, etc and want them for my sims BUT I've downloaded a few only to find that the mesh site is a dreaded 404 and the file or files can't be found on any other site....
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#92 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 4:59 AM
@ladygonzo - if you find a post with a broken link to a site that no longer exists you can help us by posting in the WCIF forum explaining that the actual mesh of a certain upload is not available. A lot of simmers on this site have CC hoards that go back a very long time. If you are able to get that mesh then you can submit it to the graveyard and then post a report telling us the new link. We can then fix the link.

Regarding those sites that need registration; I do see your point but we cannot share things without the creators permission; in most cases if a mesh was shareable under the creator's TOU then it was included.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Not actually evil.
#93 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
@ladygonzo - if you find a post with a broken link to a site that no longer exists you can help us (snip) post a report telling us the new link. We can then fix the link.

Post the thread with the broken link and the found link in Site Issues, right?

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#94 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:45 AM
Reports will work too, ie hitting the report button on the upload, but Site Issues is also fine. We just want the info :D

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
#95 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:28 PM
Something like a download basket, or like a bookmark, wishlists, etc because whenever I open a page of something I want to download, I'd thought of it more than twice and the tab would stay there forever and I end up not downloading it. It always happen to me when I go on a download spree and there will be like 7643748 tabs and bookmarks on my browser because, that's probably just my habit not clicking the download button right away, and after we gather everything we want into the "basket", perhaps I can download everything at once? I know that is way too ambitious so never mind.
Not actually evil.
#96 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dragonflysparkles
Something like a download basket, (snip) It always happen to me when I go on a download spree and there will be like 7643748 tabs and bookmarks on my browser (snip) perhaps I can download everything at once?

Oh yes, the eleventy million tabs and bookmarks! I know this well! Would like a "basket" feature, but am worried this might lead to spikes in downloading and maybe tax the servers. Probably a Delphy question.

Site Helper
#97 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WakahisaDManami
I do second a 'thanks' button in the 'Downloaded Items' section. Not a mass thanks button, but the ability to thank individual threads. When I download from someone I haven't downloaded from before I want to check the object out in game before I thank it. Sometimes I'm lazy; sometimes I don't have much time and want to see if there's anything interesting before I open my game (it takes two hours to load the game and a family so I try to fit the loading times around something I have to do); sometimes I forget about the thanks button; sometimes I don't know whether I will use the content.
I don't know whether that's possible or not, but to me it sounds nifty and like something I would definitely use. There are many other great ideas in this thread and the creator's thread! I check them every time I open MTS because not only are they entertaining, but the ideas are good and I very much appreciate how open you moderators are to ideas and influence from the creators and downloaders.

Just a side note about Thanks... If you like the idea enough to look at it, and you are worried about forgetting to thank the creator after downloading it, there is nothing really wrong with thanking them for having a great idea and sharing it. Ok, yes, you may end up thanking someone for something you can't or won't use. But they still had and shared a good idea that you liked. You can thank them for the idea.

Edit

Or am I the only one who has ever done that?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#98 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:17 PM
I sometimes thank people for uploading a lovely thing even if I know I don't have a place for it in my own game.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Not actually evil.
#99 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:27 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 24th Oct 2013 at 9:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge
I sometimes thank people for uploading a lovely thing even if I know I don't have a place for it in my own game.

Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
(snip) You can thank them for the idea.
Or am I the only one who has ever done that?

Not just you, me too. Do it with Sims 3 stuff especially. I don't play Sims 3, but if I see an upload that is very interesting, lovely, or clever, it's a pleasure for me to read, so I thank the creator.

Test Subject
#100 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 2:25 AM
You know.. screw the filters. I should be able to come here and find new updates or mods that actually work with a specific version without giving me a headache. I should be able to visit and go straight to mods that have been updated or confirmed to work with the current patched version. With that said quite a few mods DO NOT say if they work with a certain version or not. YES, I know that many mods will work without updates. Many of us here do know this, but I do believe that the key to keeping and gaining more users is making it "Stupid Simple" for them to use and find what they need.
IF a mod DOES NOT work with the latest patch, just make it clear in the description.
I administered, built and maintained a very successful website for over 9 years. Making it simple and stupid for the user made things much simpler for me.
Just a suggestion.

Sk66
Page 4 of 6