Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 1:25 AM
milkshape bug?
I have the registered version of milkshape on a P4 with 2 gig of ram and a huge hard drive, and a GEForce 6600 GT vid

milkshape runs fine for me until I try to import any kind of file. It shuts down... no error message, no mention in the system logs... it just quits.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but the same behavior.

Has anyone else had this issue? any hints as to what to try next? How about a suggestion for a different 3d modeling program?

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 3:54 AM
Anim8or is a good one, I think. I do like MilkShape, too, but it often shuts down on me for unknown reasons.

And HOW do people select just one vertice or face in MilkShape once they have a couple hundred polys/ vertices? Even with "ignore back faces" on.

I can't find any way to partially deselect in MilkShape, either.

Anyway, sorry about that....anim8or is good, don't remember what it costs, but I remember it being cheap. It's user friendly and fairy intuitive in the way it's set up.

I myself would not recommend True Space, which for me, anyway is not user friendly.

Anyone know any other good ones before you start getting into the higher price range?

Suzanne
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 4:18 AM
Hi, I had the same problem..try the Mesa 6.2.1 DLLs (Milkshape-Homepage under Downloads). Maybe Milkshape works a little slower, because the Files are Software-Drivers.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 5:41 AM
To many poly in an object will do this.
Milkshape was made as a small poly game program, If you have downloaded an mesh done with another 3d progrm and it has a lot of polys it will crash it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 11:08 AM
the mesa dll's seem to have done the trick! thanks!
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crowridgestudio
And HOW do people select just one vertice or face in MilkShape once they have a couple hundred polys/ vertices? Even with "ignore back faces" on.

Zoom in close in whatever window you are using. You can also select a bunch of faces that are in your way, and hide them to get at the ones you want to select.

Also selecting in the 3d window is very handy

Quote:
I can't find any way to partially deselect in MilkShape, either.

Hold down the [Shift] key and drag a box around vertices you want to un-select with the Right mouse button. Drag the box with the Left mouse button to add more to the selection. If you are selecting/un-selecting in the 3d window, also hold down the [Alt] key while dragging the box.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 9:35 AM
Thank you Dr. Pixel--I've been trying key combinations left and right without a lot of success. Your shortcuts are going to save me severe headaches.

Suzanne