Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 2:40 PM
Strange Custom Mirror Problem
Hello
I am having a problem with a mirror that I'm making for a bathroom set.
It's very strange and here's a screen shot.

If anybody can help, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
p.s. The glass part of the mirror, I adjusted it, but it isn't in the right place. ?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  elxoftmirror.ZIP (22.4 KB, 11 downloads)
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 1:09 PM
Hi Nick

Have you moved the mirror subset in the mesh, or in the cres? Was this cloned from a Maxis mirror, or someone else's mirror?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 1:53 PM
Hello Echo,
I cloned the Mission-Style Maxis Mirror, but I am not quite sure what the cres is .
I did add my objs to the GMDCs and added my UVs to the TXTRs. That's not all I need to do though, right?
Thank you,
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 2:16 PM
The actual reflective part of the mirror, have you moved that?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 2:31 PM
Oh, the plane that is separate in the GMDC? Yup. I moved it
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 3:24 AM
That's probably the problem then. Those separate GMDCs are specially set up so that they're sitting right on (0,0,0) in 3d space. They need to be there because of the way the reflections are drawn. If you need to move that mirror piece, you need to do it in the CRES file. The process is the same as for moving a slot's position (there's some info on that here: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=242079 ) except you do it for the node above the "Practical" node for that mesh. (In this case, it's the "glass_trans" joint which you have to move).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 2:38 PM
I sort of understand this, but is there supposed to be an error in my CRES? The second line says "Error: Unsupported Child on Index 2"?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 8:21 AM
Yep, don't worry about that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 4:40 PM
So... how do I get rid of the text in-game? Do I have to create a new package and then move the CRES?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 12:33 AM
Replace the mirror GMDCs with the ones from an unmodified package, then move the joint in the CRES.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 1:57 AM
Alright, I created a new package, and just replaced the frame, which has nothing to do with the reflection, right? So, I left the reflection part unmodified, along with the CRES, and I tested the mirror in-game, and it still had the strange numbers/letters all over the reflection part. The reflection part this time was the original size. I'm confused.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 11:02 AM
Have you tried loading a completely unmodified clone into the game? It could be that you've got something going wrong during the cloning step itself...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 3:23 PM
Oh! good idea I'll try that right now...
I cloned the same maxis mirror, and just saved the package, unmodifying it, and it still had the text in-game. Hmmm....
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 5:49 AM
Make sure you've got the correct defaults set up in the cloning wizard. There's an option to revert to defaults at the screen with all the check boxes.
Alchemist
#15 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 11:22 PM
The text in your first post is from a texture image that is defective. By this, I mean the game was able to locate it, but the file is corrupt or unusable for some reason. The text itself is the filename.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 1:51 PM
Default Help
I am very very sorry for posting this here, I too hate it when people post stuff irrelivent to the subject but I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to create a new thread but I can neither find a link or a button to do so, I spent an hour looking for it already, can anybody help me out?

Thanks
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 5:42 PM
Sorry for the late response I was offline all day
Alright- I cloned it again, and set all the defualts-
It worked!
But, I imported my own mesh and it stopped working.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#18 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 4:57 AM
DarkMatter: You have to have at least one upload to create a new thread in modding discussion. Assuming it's an object related question, it's best to post it in the Object Workshop forum.

Nick: Can you post the working .package and the broken one here?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 2:47 PM Last edited by NickM406 : 29th Aug 2008 at 5:15 AM.
Ok... I deleted them, but I know exactly what I did to them... so here are the same ones but new :D
Here we are:
(attatchments)

Edit: note: I will be offline until Wednesday, September 3rd.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mirrors.ZIP (91.1 KB, 5 downloads)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#20 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 11:28 AM
It still looks like you've edited the the reflection part in your notworking version. The working version's glass_rot subset has only 2 faces, whereas notworking has 30. The glass_rot and glass_rot_mirror_boundingbox gmdc files need to stay unmodified. (Possibly they can be modified if it's just vertex moving, I'm not sure. I've always left them as-is.) If you need to move the reflective part then you have to do it via the cres, not in the gmdc.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 12:15 AM
Sorry for the late response... school just started. I still don't understand how to resize the mirror part though. I know how to move it now, (I experimented with that over the weekend). can you resize it in the cres too?
Thank you and sorry for being a pain
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 11:32 AM
Uptil now I haven't had to mess with the position of the reflection much either but the past few days I had to.

Once you have your frame done, open your frame in Milkshape and then export just the glass and import it to Milkshape alongside of your frame. Resize the glass by moving vertices to fit your mirror and put it at the right position. I had cloned one of the oval floor mirrors and to make it easy to edit the shape, I exported the rectangle glass mesh from the moderate floor mirror and used that. Since it's mapped correctly, it works just fine.

Then, import your glass to glass_rot and check whether the glass_trans cres has any numbers other than 0,000000 in it. If it does, change them to 0,000000. I did this after experimenting with cres numbers to fit the position of my frame. For instance, according to MS, the place where the glass should have been positioned on the z axis is 0,195000 but when I changed the cres to reflect that my glass was that amount ABOVE where the glass should have been in-game. So, moving it down to 0,000000 put it at the place where I had positioned it in Milkshape.

In my case, the original oval glass part was far under the frame and had the position on the x and z defined in the cres. X,y and z are all set to 0,000000 now and the mirror works fine.

Hopefully, you'll get something out of my long-winded explanation.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 1:46 AM
Sorry for the late response... So, I midified my glass like you said... but how do I check the glass_trans cres? I went into my cres and I can't figure it out.
Thank you and sorry if I give late responses... school just started and my site is getting larger
Thanks

Sorry, I figured it out... I'm going to test it soon
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 9:17 AM
After you've clicked on the cres in the Resource List, the Editor will open the cres data. In the Blocklist, you should find an entry like [Joint 1] - glass_trans etc... Choose that, it opens the cTransform Node tab. Check the entries in the Translation for x, y and z at the bottom. If you've positioned the glass correctly and resized the glass to fit your object, your object should work after you've changed the x, y and z to 0,000000. Don't forget to commit & save, of course. Hope that helps!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 11:29 PM
Well, I got to test it... and it is almost in the right spot... but it still has all of the strange numbers and letters! I did what you said to do... mabe it's the mirror? I cloned it from the Mission-styled Mirror. Is that it?
Page 1 of 2