Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 9:46 PM
Default Sphereical Texture
I can't get my texture wrap around my sphere correctly. I'm making a globe, and the continents are always messed up. I tried UV mapping it as a Box, Planar, And Spherical, but all attempts failed. Any suggestions?

-DS2F
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 6:12 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 31st Jul 2008 at 9:36 AM.
make sure you have a seamless map texture, and make sure you are using a normal sphere, not a geosphere. Geospheres don't really map correctly. Then it should just be an issue of adjusting the uv map ( which should be planar) to fit the sphere. But let me go have a shot at it and i come back with what i can figure out.

Edit: Yeah, i did it and I had no problems. There was a bit of seaming at the top, but you can't really get around that. I attached a few pics, and the texture and the texture map. I mirrored the world texture because i didn't feel like remapping the entire thing to face the opposite direction. By the way, i'm using milkshape, i don't know what you have, though, so this may be different.
Screenshots

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:12 PM
I'm using Wings 3D.

What exactly is a "seamless map texture"? I've never heard of that.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 11:20 PM
one side has to blend seamlessly with the other side. Like if you were to take a map and roll it over into a cylinder so that alaska was next to russia, the end with alaska would have to blend with the side with russia on it. look at the 3rd picture on my previous post, the one with the globe viewed from above. Look at russia and alaska. That's where the joint in the texture is, and there's no line. If you want you can use that texture on your own globe and see what i mean.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 1:13 AM
Ahh, Ok. Thanks. Also in Wings 3D, I don't think there is two types of spheres, there's just a "Sphere".
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 3:58 AM
oh. Milkshape has 2 kinds. A sphere is made up of square sections, a geosphere is made up of triangular sections.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 4:01 AM
When I make a shpere it is made out of square sections. But then when I'm done with making it, I "triangulate" it. Would that make any difference?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 6:51 AM
i think triangulate means something entirely different from the shape. Here, I took a pic of a geosphere and one of a regular sphere. I obviously don't have wings3d, so i'm not sure what triangulate would mean with that program.
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 4:20 PM
In Wings 3D, when I make a sphere, it is in Square sections. When I "triangulate" it, it cuts each square in two diaognally, making it have triangular surfaces instead of square surfaces. I heard that the Sims 2 works off of triangles, not squares, and that's why we have to "triangulate" it in Wings 3D. Also, I have the UV map layed out, I will post a picture of it in a couple minutes (It's on the other computer, where all my stuffs are :P). I have textured everything but the actual globe part. Do I have to shape the map texture in the same shape & size as my globe on my UV map in order for it to work correctly? (Probally a stupid question)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 5:35 PM
Here's my texture so far. UV map is in .bmp, so I couldn't post it .

The un-coloured one is the main globe part, silver ones are the base + other things, the transparent blue one is the spinner thing at the top of the globe.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 1:18 AM
hmmmmmmmm, It looks like you're looking at the globe from the top. That creates a lot of problems when mapping as what shows up on the top shows up on the bottom. can you just try making a sphere, not triangulated, and post a pic of the texture map?

Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 1:22 AM
also, the square based sphere is is made up of square sections, each of which is made up of 2 triangles. That means you shouldn't need to triangulate it.

Instructor
#13 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 2:04 AM Last edited by ~Dee~ : 2nd Aug 2008 at 2:10 AM.
As far as I know we always triangulate in Wings3D,
otherwise we might get gaps in our meshes.
I think triangulating in Wings is similar to weld together in Milkshape?
I think the globe part of the UV map needs to be a planar.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 3:01 AM
oh. Yeah, it DOES need to be planar, it's the only way to map an entire globe.

Instructor
#15 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
As far as I know we always triangulate in Wings3D,
otherwise we might get gaps in our meshes.
I think triangulating in Wings is similar to weld together in Milkshape?
I think the globe part of the UV map needs to be a planar.

I didn't get gaps when I used squares, my mesh just turned out to have a LOT more polys than Wings was telling me it did. :p
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 4:16 AM
meshes are all made up of triangles, it's just in the case of the sphere, 2 are stuck together to look like a square. But all meshes are made of triangular polys.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 5:16 AM
Ok, what is planar then? I selected "planar" in UV mapper classic and it showed it from the top. :/

Oh, & if I don't triangulate it then the polys will be squares, not triangles, so I guess I have to triangulate it.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 5:44 AM
It should look flat, like the texture map above in my 1st post, second pic from the left. It has the lines on it? That's what planar should look like.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 5:29 PM
Ahhhh, ok. I will see what I can do. Thank you, I'll post a pic of what I think is "planar" in 15 mins or so.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 6:20 PM Last edited by DSims2Frantic : 3rd Aug 2008 at 1:10 AM.
Sigh... None of the UV maps look like your's above. What UV mapper program are you using? The options for UV mapper Classic are:

Planar (tried all options, never looked like in your pic)
Box
Spherical
Cylinderical
Cylinderical Cap

I'll go search for another free UV mapper program now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 1:10 AM
Ok, I got the demo of UV mapper professional. I tried to do planar. The same thing happened. Please tell me what program you are using lol?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#22 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 3:11 AM
You're using Wings, right? In my opinion (albeit not one shared by many!), Wings is about the best low-cost uvmapper out there.

Well you've got a couple of options, and it depends a lot on how you want your textures to look. The projection method is easy, but ends up with very obvious seams. The hand-mapping method gives you more control (which is useful if, say, you're drawing on a map of the world, as you can put the seams in the oceans!) but is a bit more involved. I don't have time to write a full tutorial up, so I just recorded and attached screencasts of the two techniques. Hopefully that'll help?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  projection.rar (387.4 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  handmapping.rar (2.72 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 4:42 AM
i hand mapped mine, but in milkshape when you place a sphere, the texture map automatically looks like the pic I had above, only it didn't have those few vetexes at the top connected. I did those. I'm just using the mapper that comes with milkshape. It's called Texture Coordinate editor, but I'm sure it comes with milkshape. as far as the seams go, if you're going to have this normal globe sized, i don't think anyone'll care about a couple of small seams. But i'm using milkshpae, so I have no experience in wings, and this is about all i can help with. If it's a wings issue, i can't help. All i can say is that this is the way milkshape default maps it.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
You're using Wings, right? In my opinion (albeit not one shared by many!), Wings is about the best low-cost uvmapper out there.

Well you've got a couple of options, and it depends a lot on how you want your textures to look. The projection method is easy, but ends up with very obvious seams. The hand-mapping method gives you more control (which is useful if, say, you're drawing on a map of the world, as you can put the seams in the oceans!) but is a bit more involved. I don't have time to write a full tutorial up, so I just recorded and attached screencasts of the two techniques. Hopefully that'll help?

I will look at those, thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 10:59 PM
Ok, well, say I have already modeled my globe. I have 2 obj files, globe_map and the long "gmcd [DSims2Frantic 08.21.08]..." one. which one would I import into wings? After I finish mapping the correct one, how do I get the texture I have on the globe? I think I can figure it out from there.
Page 1 of 2