Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 12:11 AM Last edited by gaulois : 16th Apr 2005 at 12:15 AM.
Default need some needs/feedback for a package manager
I actually *start* to develop an application to allow easy installation / change / delete in the download directory. The main goal is to have the full control of what is in this directory.

The idea is to have a "repository" (where you store only the zip/rar) of download and a gui (graphic usr interface) permit you to add/remove/change a version/... of the sims2 download directory packages. The "repository" will have structure that categorize your download ie something like : c:\...\myts2repo\clothes\youngadult\casual\top\uid\uid-1.0.zip

That's all for the intro . I want to collect the needs of the user of this web site regarding this use case?

the sourceforge project (of course it will be free and open source) is : http://sourceforge.net/projects/ts2-pm
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:13 AM
Sounds like a great idea for all the ppl who have problems with archive handling
PLUS, as I saw, it's platform independend, which is always a good thing.
Just make sure that especially this usergroup will be able to "stock" the repository correctly since this will IMHO be the "make and break" (can one say it like this?") of the project
As an idea that just comes to mind: I generally download the pic to the zips/rars as well and give it the name of the package..it would be great to have such pics as a preview in the GUI
-le
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 2:37 PM Last edited by gaulois : 16th Apr 2005 at 2:41 PM.
Great a constructive responce

In the repository there will be only archive and the tool help to build them (but need to be able to use simple zip...). What I want to include in the archive are :

- description
- packFile : real name of the package
- archive : name of the .package / .sims2pack
- archiveUrl : where was it download (i think it's an important thing for site like MTS2 where the download is allways in the same post of a thread and update are done in the same location
- image : it's allways good to have a preview before installing anything !
- dependencies : when a clothe required a mesh for example (note that it is plan to resolve the dependencies : donwload/install the mesh if you want a package)
- conflicts : in the case of some hacks
- author : of course because it is theres work

It is a short list but all the info are not required. I allways thing that the more info you have the best it is.

> Just make sure that especially this usergroup
> will be able to "stock" the repository correctly

The sf will not permit to store any resources but i plan to provide a web site structure that permit to have repository online (ideally an unified one ).

If someone have a great idea to add don't hesitate to add it in the feathure request in the source forge site, I will allways be able to discust about it in this thread too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 1:33 AM
Just to say here too that i search a swing developer to make the GUI as it is not my speciality and I have enouth job without it. (A request was made on sf too)
Instructor
#5 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 1:45 AM
Hmm, I'd LOVE a good utility to manage files. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent on file management in this game. :p

Some things I would like to see:

Previews, definitely previews. And not texture ones like Clean Installer or SimPE, if it's a 3D object or clothing I really need to see something close to what it looks like. I don't know how realistically doable this is, but maybe you could grab the thumbnails from cigen.package?

Deleting multiple files at once: I want to be able to see them and just go tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and then hit delete all at once and be done with it. I absolutely HATE how the bodyshop and CAS make you delete one thing at a time and then you lose your place and it throws you back to the begining of the list and often times re-sorts the order to boot. :p

Polygon counts for meshes: Today I have the unenviably tedious task of going through ALL my new object meshes, opening them in SimPE, export them to obj, import the obj into milkshape, do a polygon count and if I feel the count is too high delete the object. This has taken me all day more or less and I'm probably not even halfway done.

A scan that can look find textures without a corresponding mesh for them and vice versa. In deleting these meshes, I know some of them have recolors. I don't recall the file names off hand and I'm pretty much stuck with them because I'm not sure which ones they are.

Basically if I could have something with flexibility the made viewing, sorting and getting information on, as well as deleting and scanning the various files that would be a godsend. The bodyshop, CAS and buy mode in the game are quite frankly insufficient and inferior for dealing with all thses files and it has made file management in this game a nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

I get a lot of downloads and I REALLY need to clean them regularly, but I just put it off and it piles up because it just takes so long and is so tedious to do. The file management is my single biggest pet peeve about this game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 2:47 AM Last edited by gaulois : 17th Apr 2005 at 2:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Motoki
Hmm, I'd LOVE a good utility to manage files. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent on file management in this game. :p

That was the same thing for me that's why i have the idea of this project. One time i delete all of them because i feel boring about this mangement

Previews, definitely previews. And not texture ones like Clean Installer or SimPE, if it's a 3D object or clothing I really need to see something close to what it looks like. I don't know how realistically doable this is, but maybe you could grab the thumbnails from cigen.package?

Having a preview is the king of stuff i like too. For the 3D preview, not yet (it is just a starting project) but i will add it in the Feature Requests of the project as I think it is a great idea.
The image attachmenent is in my main todo list but they are some kind of think that i don't know how to do actually (attache the image in the zip is the simple but get it from the .package would be the must as ithe preview will be avaible for all the .package. I don't think that in a first time I will try to read any info in the .pacckage

Deleting multiple files at once: I want to be able to see them and just go tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and then hit delete all at once and be done with it. I absolutely HATE how the bodyshop and CAS make you delete one thing at a time and then you lose your place and it throws you back to the begining of the list and often times re-sorts the order to boot. :p

Easy to do (that the kind of thing I won't be able to think without user needs. Thanks)

Polygon counts for meshes: Today I have the unenviably tedious task of going through ALL my new object meshes, opening them in SimPE, export them to obj, import the obj into milkshape, do a polygon count and if I feel the count is too high delete the object. This has taken me all day more or less and I'm probably not even halfway done.

Sorry that's not in my scope but it is a good idea of project : an Mesh Manager/controler. I never made a mesh myself so i can't help here.

A scan that can look find textures without a corresponding mesh for them and vice versa. In deleting these meshes, I know some of them have recolors. I don't recall the file names off hand and I'm pretty much stuck with them because I'm not sure which ones they are.

I introduce dependencies/conflics between artifact (download things : i can't find an other terme : How do you call something you download for TS2) to resolve this kind of problem (but i am not sure that i have understand what you say)

Basically if I could have something with flexibility the made viewing, sorting and getting information on, as well as deleting and scanning the various files that would be a godsend. The bodyshop, CAS and buy mode in the game are quite frankly insufficient and inferior for dealing with all thses files and it has made file management in this game a nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

I get a lot of downloads and I REALLY need to clean them regularly, but I just put it off and it piles up because it just takes so long and is so tedious to do. The file management is my single biggest pet peeve about this game.

You REALLY have the same need as me. I install everything and had an hard job to remove the unneed one. Can i use your last comment as an argument in the application website ?

Thank you
Nicolas
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 3:51 PM
Hi Gaulois,

Here are a few ideas that you may like to consider adding to your
requirments spec.

1. Version control

The program remembers what is in the Sims Download directory each
time it changes the contents, allowing the user to roll back to a previous
collection of downloads.

The program may also be able to produce a list of changes, between
versions

2. File Recovery

The program compares the current contents of the Sims Download directory,
with the latest version of what it thinks should be there, and produces a list
of missing / added files, allowing the user to quickly recover file(s)
inadvertantly deleted, or to copy added files to the Repository.

3. Update Control

The program could keep track of versions of files in the Repository, so that
experimental objects could be tried and rolled back as required.

These are the things that (when missing) have caused me the biggest
headaches with the various projects I've worked on over the years.

Thanks for listening
Pibber
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 4:44 PM
As I think you probably work in the same domaine as me : versionning issues are typically developer needs

Quote: Originally posted by Pibber
1. Version control

The program remembers what is in the Sims Download directory each
time it changes the contents, allowing the user to roll back to a previous
collection of downloads.

The program may also be able to produce a list of changes, between
versions

+1 It's a good idea. I think about a global download version like if you create a tag with CVS (I was for a subversion like versionning method in that case : all the resository will have a version number and each element have a version number too).
What could be the best :
- the user create the tag himself
- the downloads are tagged for each new installation of a package
- the download are tag everyday or ...
2. File Recovery

The program compares the current contents of the Sims Download directory,
with the latest version of what it thinks should be there, and produces a list
of missing / added files, allowing the user to quickly recover file(s)
inadvertantly deleted, or to copy added files to the Repository.

Like a diff... Good idea I will add this fonctionnallity
3. Update Control

The program could keep track of versions of files in the Repository, so that
experimental objects could be tried and rolled back as required.
Pibber

I think there could be more to do with it allow the user to :
- don't reinstall anything
- install allway the last version of an element
- allway try to redownload it on internet (snapshot dependencies)
- have a report of what version is install and what version are avaible
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 6:32 PM
Yep, I've been programming for 25 Years (Give or take a month or two)

Glad to hear that we are on the same wavelength on these issues.

Version Control

I would have this controlled by the program, only alerting the user if
a duplicate package/file was loaded and getting the user to choose
what should be done.

Once you include Version/Update control the possiblities are (almost)
endless, this would be just the tool for people developing their own
Objects/Hacks/Addons etc.

Internet Access

There would need to be a mechanism to allow the program to function
without an internet connection, for those whose games machine does
not have one.

Cheers
Pibber
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 9:36 AM
Yep, I've been programming for 25 Years (Give or take a month or two)

Glad to hear that we are on the same wavelength on these issues.

I am a newby in that case 3 years for me (I don't include all the study year).

And versionning is a big part of my job too so I understand that modder... could expected to have there donwload dir with some version control stuff

PS : all the thing that you have suggest are in the RFE list of the sf project. I wish they're will be include but it is only the planning step of the project.
So if any body have other needs I take it...