Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2023 at 1:29 PM
Default Custom Hobby/Vacation Lot Dialog
I've been successful in creating custom hobby lots from scratch following information found on MTS, and changing the u4 number to match those in the original file so that each lot corresponds to it's hobby. However, the Dialog from the iconic hobbyist when giving membership and upon entry to the lot still refers to the names of the maxis lots, and I'm not into that.

I'm making a greek mythology hood, so I don't want an invite/weclome to Sue's (Secret) Kitchen, I want Meliai's Kitchen Garden, etc. I've edited STR# Dialog prim set in group 0x07F9ECC6A for each lot, but that wasn't enough to change the dialog when testing in-game. I then looked into the BHAV files ('Interaction - Iconic Visit' and 'Function - Main'), found a couple of entries corresponding to the dialog I want to change, and using that hammer and sickle button unclicked 'use temp' which brings up my edited STR# text to the right. When testing in-game this still brings up the maxis text. Doing a resource search for STR# for Sue's (Secret) Kitchen still brings up that Dialog prim string set that no longer contains those words in it's text!!
I'm baffled. In that same group is a file 'Controller - EP7 - Secret Hobby Lots', and in the miscellaneous section is an entry titled 'No New name from Template' in the RAW Data, set to 0x0000; I wonder if a change here would be the fix I need, and for the following issue I find with secret vacation lots?

When a map is discovered, it refers to the original maxis destinations and lots, not my custom ones. So I've changed these in the catalogue descriptions for each map (groups 0x7F034A0C, 0x7F505688, 0x7F9C2207). I've also looked in Group 0x7F084A90 and edited the 'Secret Lot and Neighborhood Names' file according to my lots and destinations. Looking into the BHAV file for 'Dig for stuff - Found Object TNS) there are 2 Dialog options (for him or her), each referring to $SemiGlobalString:0:1 and one ending in 2, which must be lot and destination. Looking into 'Dig for Stuff - Create Object and Add to Inventory' and viewing BHAV of entries Create Obj - Map then Array -Fill with valid maps, leads to 3 boxes 'Add map if don't have' with numbers that correspond to the numbers in the edited STR# file 'Secret Lot and Neighborhood Names'!

I feel like I'm getting closer to a solution, but if there is indeed a solution at all, there's nothing more I can do to achieve it as my computer knowledge isn't good enough, and I'm not sure any of the tutorials deal with this. I can try setting those 'No New name from Template' to false, and placing my lots in the N'hood template files, but that won't give me my customised iconic hobbyist dialogue...

Any suggestions? I really want to turn up to the games hobby lot and to see "Poker Downstairs? I hardly know her!" show up in the dialog
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Mar 2023 at 1:44 PM
I forgot to say that I've been working on the objects.package file of the Objects folder in Mansion and Garden Stuff Programme Files
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2023 at 1:57 PM
It's not a good idea to work directly on the Objects.package file. You'll always want to pull the resources you need for the project (right-click/extract), put those into a blank, new file (right-click/add), and work on this instead. Then the file will work as an override mod from the Downloads folder. If you work directly on the Objects.package (especially without a backup), you can risk messing up stuff quite badly, especially if you're not sure what you're doing.

Pretty sure all the text resources are language dependant, so if you change the wrong language compared to the one your game is set to (there's a difference between UK and US English, for instance), you won't see a difference ingame.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Mar 2023 at 2:59 PM
Thankyou for your advice! I didn't think of that! My games are from the UK and I'd just been editing the English not English(UK). I'll try clicking 'default lang only', and if that doesn't work adjusting the text for English(UK) too.

I recently got a new hard drive; I'm going from scratch again, so I'm free to play around. I'll keep testing each resource from within the objects file one by one until I get the result I want, then I'll know what to include in the override. Fingers crossed it's just the STR# files with the right language
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2023 at 3:16 PM
I'm not much of a modder, so can't provide spesific help, but there are probably some tutorials in the modding section which may be of some help to you: https://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=75...neral%20Modding
Inventor
#6 Old 21st Mar 2023 at 8:08 PM
The purpose of "use temp" is to select the correct text for the hobby type out of the ten hobbies without needing a switch statement and 10 boxes. It's normal that no text is shown in SimPE there because it will be chosen according to the number in temp. You don't want to change this.

"No New name from Template" in the OBJd is not related at all.

$SemiGlobalString:0:1 means the string resource contained in local variable 0 and line in local 1 from the current stack object (dirt pile). In this case it is 0x2000 a few lines higher. The purpose of this is similar to "use temp", and to avoid repeating the same text in translations. You found the right text list.

If you choose Default language only, then all other translations will be deleted, and English US will be used. Your mod will be significantly smaller.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2023 at 2:53 PM
Thankyou for your explanations, super appreciate it