Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 5:06 PM
Default Careers and working on Community Lots
I just finished up constructing my neighborhood. I've started to add Business Community lots. I have a Hospital, Bakery, and General Store. I plan to add a Music shop with Recording Studio.

My question is this.....
I want to pick a Career to what suites my lot. Can my Sim have that career and then go work at that Community lot in their profession? I've seen in Sims 4 it's possible but never tried it for Sims 2. I've been playing Sims since around 2005 and when I used to play, I remember only picking a Career then leaving for work. Never tried it the way I described. Would I have to run a Home Business and then have live in quarters at that Community lot? I would prefer to go to my home and then go to work. Is that possible?

For example, a Doctor. I downloaded the Simlogical stuff needed to run a business on the lot I assume these items will help. So, I want to run the Hospital. What is my best course to do that. Hope I explained it well enough lol. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 5:33 PM
In a vanilla game you can have your sim gain funds through working at their businesses but they travel to them, and then travel back home. Not sure how you would make funds in vanilla game off being a doctor though - I know people like @joandsarah77 have fully integrated hoods so she can probably give best advice for the doctor scenario. The other part is though they go to work on a business lot, they won't have a 'career' officially. If you have them look for jobs, they leave for those jobs they find online or in the paper. You can say in your head your sim is a doctor but they will have 'unemployed' as their job in the info bar. There's probably mods that fix that too for business owners.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Alchemist
#3 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 6:06 PM
I do this, but it's more pretending and faking than truly functional.

For example, my librarian is a playable who owns the public library. I never go to the lot as her, though. Other sims go to the public library and she is hanging around as she would if she were a librarian. At the same time, she has a Librarian Career job, that I tweaked so she just stays a librarian all the time, but when I'm at her house, usually playing someone else, she often has to go to work at the library... so it seems as if she is going to her job and we see her at her job if we go visit.

I do this a lot, like with the lifeguard owning the public pool, etc. But in reality, the career and the owned lot are separate things.

I also do it the other way you mentioned, like the Minister has a career as Clergy or something like that, but he also lives in the church which is residential, and I use the Meeting Controller to call his congregation to services and the Opportunity pack to have him preach and the Need Freak to keep them all sitting there listening. I also made his minister outfit available in all categories so he won't be seen around town in a track suit or whatever. It all looks very consistent.

I'm now experimenting with another method of making it look seamless. I'm changing certain NPCs to look like the playable, so I say that my playable owns a bar but, in reality, he has the deed but doesn't own it, but the NPC bartender has been SimSurgery-ed to look like him. I'm working on something now that will use the NPC method but will still allow the playable to own and earn money from the lot without actually having to run the business. We'll see. I don't really like running the businesses.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 10:37 PM
I'm really tired right now, dog woke me up, so just saying if I get this all wrong.

My hospital is a residential lot. My doctor or rather she is chief of staff now, runs this as a business. It should be on my career thread, down in my siggy.
The doctor has the medical career, this stops her being unemployed. She goes there some days. One to make money, two to advance. I consider these to be house calls then later medical conferences.

The doctor has days at the clinic/home business. I simply grab a sim with the hand tool, make selectable and the doctor uses the PC sims medical bag. She can also tell them to use the eye chart or take a pregnancy test. I have them sit and talk first. The sim then pays with Christianlov's wallet token controller.
...meanwhile in the waiting room sims are buying stuff at the pharmacy/gift shop area. I have PC sims medicines, glasses and new sprog controllers. (condoms and yes those do effect if sims get pregnant or not by dice roll they are not modded)) Then there is gadayrs teddy bear stand and a magazine rack and some flowers. I use an auto till for paying and have a sim dressed as an orderly on restocking.
...also, my nurse has been teleported in with the simlogical meeting controller and is in the office using Monique's laptop to write an article. She is right in the pharmacy so she looks busy and the article earns money.
...added to this, patients come and stay as well. I have an isolated ward for the flu and upstairs I have maternity. Again payment is by wallet controller.
...plus! (yeah this is my most complicated convoluted business ever) I also have a midwife. If I teleport her in she also get paid by controller as does the nurse. Like the doctor and nurse, they have jobs in their respective careers and go to that when I play their home lots, again for money and level. except for my nurse, she has a job stopinator because she is staying a nurse. I should get a nurse career because she deserves to be matron now she is an elder.
The hospital doesn't make much money because of paying the nurse, midwife and orderly plus I have another doctor now who I have to add on.
You can run a hospital as a comm lot though if that's what you prefer but you won't be able to have patients stay, so I guess it would be more of a walk-in clinic than a hospital.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#5 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The doctor has days at the clinic/home business. I simply grab a sim with the hand tool, make selectable and the doctor uses the PC sims medical bag. She can also tell them to use the eye chart or take a pregnancy test. I have them sit and talk first. ...
...plus! (yeah this is my most complicated convoluted business ever)

Wow, that sounds amazing. I love it. I especially love the nurse writing the article. Do you somehow keep her doing that all the time?
I'm working on a clinic next. Can you show us WCIF the PCSims medical bag, eye chart, pregnancy, and the sellables you mention?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 12:40 AM
When I am playing the doctor with a patient I am focused on them, so yes the nurse is continually writing an article until she finishes. You get pop-ups saying 25% done, 50% done etc. I have a snapdragon behind her to keep her needs up. When you use the Simlogical meeting Controler the sim arrives near the picture and is fully controllable but you don't have business options like sales or restock since they are not an employee or family. When you are done you click the controller and end meeting and they go back to being a normal visitor.

It might be on my business and career thread, if not check in Jessa's discord, she uploaded a bundle of PCsims mods at some point. Only I advise opening the pcsims medical ones and removing Helen the NPC- unless of course you want the NPC. I think its called a kiosk so misleading name, but the medical bag comes with this NPC. You need a fair amount of room to use the bag so no good in small spaces. One of the things the doctor might do is vaccinate a sim and make them immune to disease. I like this myself but if you don't you could always make them ill on the sim manipulator. They will also help a sim in aspiration failure and give them a boost. The medicines by PCsims are all usable and have effects like sleeping, slimming, fatness etc.
The pregnancy test I'm not sure of, I will take a look in game. They don't do any animations (wish they could 'pee on a stick') but it does say if they are pregnant or not.

Oh also, the sim needs 5 mechanical to get options on the bag. I think, or it could be logic, but I feel its mechanical. I know I thought it didn't really fit. Personally, I would rather a doctor be logical than mechanical.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 8:00 AM
Where did you get the condoms from?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

Asking the REAL burning questions on our minds

As for OP's question, my sims are mostly broke. I just have them work as baristas/bartenders/djs/musicians for a certain time a day and say that is their job. Or I have them use the hobby items/easels and think instead of just disappearing into thin air they sell em online
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 11:43 AM Last edited by FranH : 7th Feb 2019 at 5:13 PM.
I have a 'hospital' in one of the hoods as a community lot and two doctors to attend it, on their official days off. It's more like a clinic, but it does have a hacked surgery table, and a dentist's chair (Katy PC Sims) that can earn some decent money for the doctors.

Here's a Biotech station that makes medications, and other things. Great for the research unit of the hospital:
Biotech Station - Fixes, New Virus Gameplay and Pharmacy Business

"Surgery for real!"

Surgical Doctor career

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 12:04 PM
Chris Hatch has such MOD. @Sims2Christain

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin
Asking the REAL burning questions on our minds

Lol, by StrangeTomato https://strange-tomato.livejournal.com/153926.html

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#12 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 1:55 PM
Lol, by StrangeTomato https://strange-tomato.livejournal.com/153926.html

Wait I actually had those! I never used them because they're simlish. Didn't even know they were functional.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 3:24 PM
I don't think they are functional. I misread Joandsarah's post slightly.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Chris Hatch has such MOD. @Sims2Christain

Do you have the link to actual page? Thanks. And I am reading all the advice. Appreciate all the help.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 9:55 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 7th Feb 2019 at 10:08 PM.
@suzymarie64 Why, yes. Better yet, I'll quote from the people I found it in past similar thread of this topic.

Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
Chris Hatch has a mod that sends your sims to a community lot designated by an object to be a workplace. It works by one object (his CC Globe) placed on the workplace lot beforehand checking what the lot has on it and diverting sims to that lot if they have the job and the corrosponding object is present.

Eg a beach will classify the lot for the oceanography career so instead of disappearing for the alocated time your sim will head to the beach lot to study ocean life or chill or whatever. But only with the Globe present at the beach

It only works with careers from the game not CC ones though there could be a way to allocate objects to cutom careers.

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
This post has a link to download an HTML file with a complete list of features and up-to-date links to the various components you can download. You need the Globe, but I think you can pick and choose what other features you want to use with it. Be sure to test for conflicts since this is a big mod and affects a lot of different functions.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...437#post5474437

Tl;dr: New carpool (due to limitations) will send your sim of the respective job they have to designated community lot location (If there are respective objects and criteria requirementsof the lot) once they arrive. All the information can be found by downloading the archive file, and opening the link file and reading Control Go To Work section.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin
Wait I actually had those! I never used them because they're simlish. Didn't even know they were functional.

They're not functional, they are deco, I myself added rules to them. I said I use a dice roll. If sims, particularly young adult sims, have some in inventory it lowers their chance of pregnancy.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 4:09 AM
They're not functional, they are deco, I myself added rules to them. I said I use a dice roll. If sims, particularly young adult sims, have some in inventory it lowers their chance of pregnancy.

Yeah, I misread it as someone had modded it to make risky woohoo less risky if you used them. XD
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 8:46 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix @suzymarie64.
Sorry I didn't notice your mentions for me yesterday. Nice to know I was at least somewhat helpful.
I originally got it from BlackAlleySims before it was shut down. Good to see that he created a more family accessible way than the adult sites he uses.
Tthe objects that are need to set the workplace correctly quoted by Chris Himself.

if there is only the globe on an unused community lot it becomes zoned as a kindergarten (Preschool) if I remember correctly.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 6:47 PM
I run my hospital as a residential lot, with at up to two doctors (sims in the medical field) living on it at all times. I build it like a proper hospital, and then usually build a room or wing for the doctors to live in. I teleport in the rest of the staff- nurses, janitors, cooks etc. and set them to their tasks with the help of diligent visitor.

When a sim is visiting the hospital to give birth for example, I teleport in my pregnant sims who are within the last month of their pregnancy. I make them selectable, and have them more or less 'live' in the hospital until they are ready to give birth using XPTL's delivery tables, or via the usual cinematic. If their needs are still low, I keep mother and baby at the hospital until the mum's bars are green, and then I send them home using the teleporter cat or mirror (depends on whether the baby goes where it's supposed to.)

I only have doctors who are single and not primary caregivers for children living on the lot, and when their carpool comes, they go to work as normal and draw their salary that way. It doesn't bother me that at any given time the doctors who live on the lot may not be there to see patients - their job is really just to make the hospital playable. The rest of the staff will also be employed in the right career fields, and when I play their lots they'll go to work as normal, but I pretend that they work at my hospital, and I'll get to see what they've been doing at work all this time when I play the hospital lot.

The hospital itself - like the school, which is played the same way, and the fire station, and the police station - all becomes just part of the normal rotation, and when I play them, sims who are employed in those fields show up. That way the career description matches the job, and they do the job on the right lot, and I don't have to figure out how to pay them all properly. It's kind of a way to integrate maxis careers into a Go To Work style set up, without interrupting family play on the home lot to do so. << It works for me lol.
Alchemist
#20 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
The hospital itself - like the school, which is played the same way, and the fire station, and the police station - all becomes just part of the normal rotation, and when I play them, sims who are employed in those fields show up.

I'm confused about this part. What happens with the fire and police?

I think it's kind of the flip side of my way of having a playable who has a career like lifeguard buy the community pool, then only visiting the pool with other sims, so he is there appearing to run it. I'm interested in the hospital idea... and other ways of manipulating these elements, the career, lot ownership, lots that appear community but are residential, making NPCs look like playables... all the things that make it look integrated without actually running the business as a playable, which I only do rarely.

P.S. If you need Inge's cat front and center, did you see my way of hiding it in plain sight? The trashcan is InSim Selector. I could change the model of the cat, but I think it's cute.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 9:59 PM
terula8's setup sounds very similar to mine @Sunrader The main difference is I haven't used the diligent visitor and my sim probably only go to their rabbit hole job work once or twice a week.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#22 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:33 PM
terula8's setup sounds very similar to mine @Sunrader The main difference is I haven't used the diligent visitor and my sim probably only go to their rabbit hole job work once or twice a week.

Right, with the nurse writing an article. I love that. I'll have to look up diligent visitor. I don't know it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:41 PM
This http://modthesims.info/d/289271/dil...r-080712-b.html I am guessing.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#24 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 11:54 PM
@Sunrader @joandsarah77 yep! That's the one - it's a Christianlov mod and I don't use it often, but if I have a lot of staff that I can't keep up with then I'll assign them tasks that way, or use influence > clean for example for other things (I don't use the influence feature much otherwise so it's no loss to me, but might not suit everyone's style.)

Police and Fire stations are actually a special case in my hoods - I like to have the police station be a residential lot because then I can have a jail in it (I build the prison as a separate, much bigger lot). My police sims wear the uniform as their everyday outfit, so that I can maintain a police presence in my hoods and 'catch' other sims at unlawful behaviour. The ones that live on the station lot make it possible to play the jail (simlogical mods for that), bring sims in for questioning (maxis + PC sims), and host the Police Officer's Backyard BBQ (I have a weird sense of humour and it makes me laugh to host events like that on municipal lots lol). It also means that I can use the 'throw party' interaction to do it, which brings me no end of satisfaction.

Anyway, the fire station is similar, but they give seminars on fire prevention, and I teleport sims from that household in to homes without fire alarms so that there's at least SOME chance of saving the lives of the sims in question. I'm toying with the idea of using simblender on each no-fire-alarm household to give them a memory of meeting the Fire Station Chief. Then, when they have a house on fire, if I can get them to reach the phone - like in the normal maxis situation - they can call that sim and invite the household over.

Whichever sims show up (and when they show up) they can be made selectable and attempt to put out the fire. All that gives a fairly high chance that said things will still go pear-shaped, but hey. At least there'll be some in-game logic to it, and sims without fire alarms might not just be in for a world of hurt lol. My poorer sims tend not to have them, mainly because I usually forget to add one until there is an actual fire and then panic because there's nothing to be done.
Alchemist
#25 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Anyway, the fire station is similar, but they give seminars on fire prevention, and I teleport sims from that household in to homes without fire alarms so that there's at least SOME chance of saving the lives of the sims in question. I'm toying with the idea of using simblender on each no-fire-alarm household to give them a memory of meeting the Fire Station Chief. Then, when they have a house on fire, if I can get them to reach the phone - like in the normal maxis situation - they can call that sim and invite the household over.

Whichever sims show up (and when they show up) they can be made selectable and attempt to put out the fire. All that gives a fairly high chance that said things will still go pear-shaped, but hey. At least there'll be some in-game logic to it, and sims without fire alarms might not just be in for a world of hurt lol. My poorer sims tend not to have them, mainly because I usually forget to add one until there is an actual fire and then panic because there's nothing to be done.

Wow, I have missed out on so many play opportunities by buying fire alarms. <3
I've never had police or jails or anything. My sims are largely unaware of the criminal underworld that lurks in their hoods. I like the idea of seeing police walking around randomly, though. I have a clergyman who wanders about always in his collar because I marked it as his clothes in all categories. I did the same with the "ghost" so she can't change out of her haunting dress. I should think about adding more like that.
Page 1 of 2