Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 9:57 PM
Default "animating" a dresser
I want to make a dresser with a new mesh, so I opened SimPE and do all what I was suposed to do, I exported it in .3ds (I use 3d max), I made the new mesh with the drawer and I exported the two objects (clothing and the furniture) But now I don't know how can I make the drawer open, "drawer_trans" Joint I know that's the animation but I don't know what can I do. Could you help me? thanks

Sorry for my english.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 10:38 PM
If the dresser includes just one GMDC (with joints), you cannot use 3ds format - it doesn't support joints. In this case, you must use smd format; for max, you'll need Cannonfodder's plugins to export and import smd. Note that smd format requires to export/import one subset at a time.
In max, you'll see Skin modifier on your mesh, all weight assignment is done in it. When weights are assigned properly, your dresser will be animated properly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 1:53 AM
I'm lost
How do I select the drawer
Screenshots
Instructor
#4 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 6:06 AM
First of all, I'd suggest you to hide bones, they're getting in the way.
Then, I'd suggest using the following trick:
- select Element level - you should be able to select drawer easily there if you meshed it separately
- move the entire element to known value so that it'll be distinctive - i.e. change Z += 2.00
- select Skin modifier, Edit Envelopes, assign the weights
- select Element level again and move your drawer back
If you didn't meshed the drawer separately (i.e. used Extrude and Bevel), then, if your mesh is Editable Poly, you can select the front polygon and then use Grow button (on top of rollout) to expand selection; when you selected drawer polys, Detach them to Element and then do as explained above.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
First of all, I'd suggest you to hide bones, they're getting in the way.
Then, I'd suggest using the following trick:
- select Element level - you should be able to select drawer easily there if you meshed it separately
- move the entire element to known value so that it'll be distinctive - i.e. change Z += 2.00
- select Skin modifier, Edit Envelopes, assign the weights
- select Element level again and move your drawer back
If you didn't meshed the drawer separately (i.e. used Extrude and Bevel), then, if your mesh is Editable Poly, you can select the front polygon and then use Grow button (on top of rollout) to expand selection; when you selected drawer polys, Detach them to Element and then do as explained above.

I think I've done it correctly thankyou, when importing there are some options about bones and when I click ok it doesn't apear any mesh for replacing What's wrong ?
Instructor
#6 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kapete
when importing there are some options about bones and when I click ok it doesn't apear any mesh for replacing
The usual Import dialog (with Add/Replace/Rename/Nothing choices) appears right after the smd-specific import dialog (with bone per vertex number, morphs, and bumpmap checkbox). What do you get after smd-specific dialog - nothing, and error?

When export from max, did you assigned default material (with map.tga map) to your mesh? I had problems several times when another material was assigned.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 3:06 PM
The usual Import dialog (with Add/Replace/Rename/Nothing choices) appears right after the smd-specific import dialog (with bone per vertex number, morphs, and bumpmap checkbox). What do you get after smd-specific dialog - nothing, and error?

When export from max, did you assigned default material (with map.tga map) to your mesh? I had problems several times when another material was assigned.

I got no errors, it appears the mesh group importer windows but the problem is that there's no mesh to import and replace in the "importable mesh groups" list.

I left the selected options the same way as they were:
Export Options
Skeletal Animation(Sequences and Animations) -> SELECTED
Reference (Creates body and collision models) -> NOT SELECTED

Flip All Normals -> NOT SELECTED.

And I don't assigned default materials.
Instructor
#8 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 3:25 PM
check this tutorial
Instructor
#9 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kapete
Skeletal Animation(Sequences and Animations) -> SELECTED
Reference (Creates body and collision models) -> NOT SELECTED
Aw, forgot to mention - you must select Reference here. Skeletal Animation is for animation while you need the mesh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 1:40 AM
Aw, forgot to mention - you must select Reference here. Skeletal Animation is for animation while you need the mesh.

Thankyou I did it. I'ts a little bit complicated to make this