Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 9:35 PM
Default Object Cloning Question - TSRW vs. S3OC
Hi

So I've been on my Sims 3 object creation journey for a few months now.
I'm working on a conversion project to convert the entire Sims 2 IKEA Stuff Pack to the Sims 3 and decided that I should restart my project since I made lots of beginners mistakes and I want to make sure my CC wouldn't break anyone's game.

My method so far was to export the data from SimPE and then clone the needed Sims 3 object via TSRW, but now I'm wondering if I should clone the object via S3OC and then import the package to TSRW to edit the mesh and textures since I do prefer TSRW interface than working with S3PE.

Basically, my question is if I have any reason to clone via S3OC or it doesn't matter?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 9:58 PM
There is actually no difference in using either tools, if one doesn't work you could just switch to the other. An exception I could only think of is if you wanted to give your object 4 CAStable channels, by which you have to clone using s3oc, then opening your cloned object in Texture Tweaker to make it such.

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
There is actually no difference in using either tools, if one doesn't work you could just switch to the other. An exception I could only think of is if you wanted to give your object 4 CAStable channels, by which you have to clone using s3oc, then opening your cloned object in Texture Tweaker to make it such.

Got it, thank you for the quick reply
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkCrystal1997
Got it, thank you for the quick reply

You're welcome.
Although I admit, I'm still on the learning process with object making so I could only dispense info that I have already tried and tested. I would also suggest to wait for others' inputs as well, who may be veterans in this department..

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 10:22 PM
You're welcome.
Although I admit, I'm still on the learning process with object making so I could only dispense info that I have already tried and tested. I would also suggest to wait for others' inputs as well, who may be veterans in this department..

To be honest, when I decided to start this project I didn't think the object creation rabbit hole is that deep
I can totally agree that it's a journey of trails and errors but I learned a lot so far and definitely still learning
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 6:08 AM
There definitely is a difference- it's just not necessarily an important one for most projects.

TSRW will leave the original references until they are replaced, and the renumbering can be less thorough. It will also only export necessary / modified files at the end.
The benefit of S3OC is that makes an entirely separate object with all files included. Which can result in a slightly larger filesize, but you avoid issues that arise from not being able to see everything that object is using in its package alone.

I'd recommend starting with an S3OC package for that reason, as it can prevent a lot of headaches in terms of something looking strange and being able to find out why. But it's not dire, if you're already working on a project with a TSRW clone it's more or less very similar.
Learning S3PE is also a good skill to have in the toolbelt even if it's a little intimidating

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 10:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
There definitely is a difference- it's just not necessarily an important one for most projects.

TSRW will leave the original references until they are replaced, and the renumbering can be less thorough. It will also only export necessary / modified files at the end.
The benefit of S3OC is that makes an entirely separate object with all files included. Which can result in a slightly larger filesize, but you avoid issues that arise from not being able to see everything that object is using in its package alone.

I'd recommend starting with an S3OC package for that reason, as it can prevent a lot of headaches in terms of something looking strange and being able to find out why. But it's not dire, if you're already working on a project with a TSRW clone it's more or less very similar.
Learning S3PE is also a good skill to have in the toolbelt even if it's a little intimidating

I see, thank you for the explanation
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 4:35 PM
To be honest, when I decided to start this project I didn't think the object creation rabbit hole is that deep
I can totally agree that it's a journey of trails and errors but I learned a lot so far and definitely still learning

OY! It's DEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!! I have been making CC for 11 years or so... 6 years that I have shared and uploaded, and I'm STILL learning new things. It can be fun, if you let it be. )))

The thing about TSRW is that you need to replace texture images in the mesh tab, as well as the texture page, on many projects... and you must replace them in all loads... or at least should. Example being that with garments (yes, you are doing an object, but...), when you replace a multipier and specular, the originals from the donor remain until you replace them. This may be part of what @CardinalSims refers to.

Objects, you need to replace textures for each preset. I do not know why TSRW is set up that way. I usually delete all but one preset. If I want more presets, I copy my first one, then just change colors.

Also in the mesh tab, is the normals map. If you replaced textures, the old normals map will leave odd shading on your project. You need to either make a new normals map to match your project, or use a blank normal. A blank normal is different from a regular blank... it must be a normals map. There should be tutorials, but if not, and you do not know how, I, or someone here can show you. I would be using GIMP.

@aisquared mentioned using Texture Tweaker to make a 4 color rgba map. I have never used that tool, but again, make those using GIMP, and can show you if you need.

But yes, making things can be a rabbithole, just don't get too frustrated.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
OY! It's DEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!! I have been making CC for 11 years or so... 6 years that I have shared and uploaded, and I'm STILL learning new things. It can be fun, if you let it be. )))

The thing about TSRW is that you need to replace texture images in the mesh tab, as well as the texture page, on many projects... and you must replace them in all loads... or at least should. Example being that with garments (yes, you are doing an object, but...), when you replace a multipier and specular, the originals from the donor remain until you replace them. This may be part of what @CardinalSims refers to.

Objects, you need to replace textures for each preset. I do not know why TSRW is set up that way. I usually delete all but one preset. If I want more presets, I copy my first one, then just change colors.

Also in the mesh tab, is the normals map. If you replaced textures, the old normals map will leave odd shading on your project. You need to either make a new normals map to match your project, or use a blank normal. A blank normal is different from a regular blank... it must be a normals map. There should be tutorials, but if not, and you do not know how, I, or someone here can show you. I would be using GIMP.

@aisquared mentioned using Texture Tweaker to make a 4 color rgba map. I have never used that tool, but again, make those using GIMP, and can show you if you need.

But yes, making things can be a rabbithole, just don't get too frustrated.

Deleting all the presets expect for one is actually something I learned at the start since I'm also replicating the original swatches from the Sims 2
And I'm trying my best not to get frustrated but sometimes it's difficult with this game
But I see it as an experience, I'm learning about using blender, meshing and UV mapping thanks to it.
I also learned that phong alpha is the devil, I'm trying to make a few meshes with a bit of transparency but keep it CASTable and it just doesn't work for me, but I'll post about it when I'll try tackling those specific objects again

I didn't know about the normals map in the mesh tab but I don't think I see what you mean, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm attaching screenshots where I'm looking at if you can please pinpoint to me where the normals map supposed to be
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 6:45 PM
Deleting all the presets expect for one is actually something I learned at the start since I'm also replicating the original swatches from the Sims 2
And I'm trying my best not to get frustrated but sometimes it's difficult with this game
But I see it as an experience, I'm learning about using blender, meshing and UV mapping thanks to it.
I also learned that phong alpha is the devil, I'm trying to make a few meshes with a bit of transparency but keep it CASTable and it just doesn't work for me, but I'll post about it when I'll try tackling those specific objects again

I didn't know about the normals map in the mesh tab but I don't think I see what you mean, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm attaching screenshots where I'm looking at if you can please pinpoint to me where the normals map supposed to be

I have only done one 2 to 3 conversion. It was a PITA that I personally don't plan to repeat... especially after I found a clean MMD model that had not been decimated.

Phong, not phong alpha was useful for me when creating a few statues. It seems to work similar to hair shader. Where the multiplier alpha is 100%, phong shows solid, and will show various levels of transparency with less alpha. I haven't really worked with phong alpha, other than to try it on some things, didn't like it, and then used another shader.

I made these statues a couple of years ago. Really, the last objects I uploaded. They use phong for both the body and hair. https://modthesims.info/showthread....880#post5942880

So, been a while since I've done an object. It's possible they don't have normals maps, but something for you to know about anyway, should you expand to other things.

The key to "CAStable" is looking thru a bunch of objects to find one that has the features you need. Perhaps an object pro knows how to manipulate this, but I do not. So, it becomes, open in TSRW, see if it has a textures tab and a color mask to work with.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 6:45 PM
You could include additional parameters in the material editor. See the +Add option written in blue text? From there you can find the 'Normal map' in the dropdown menu, among many others..

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 7:00 PM
Okay, I'll try playing more with the parameters once I reach those specific objects.
Thank everyone for your help, I appreciate it a lot as a new cc creator
Forum Resident
#13 Old 25th Mar 2024 at 2:55 PM
You could include additional parameters in the material editor. See the +Add option written in blue text? From there you can find the 'Normal map' in the dropdown menu, among many others..

Which version of TSRW are you using? I have 2.2.85.0, and have tried adding maps, but it doesn't give an option for images or textures... only float, int, etc.