Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 8:52 AM
After I have extracted hair to the game, where does it go? I have looked all through the downloads and can't find it. The only place I can find it is in the Projects folder, and it doesn't work through there.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 11:44 AM
schuldig - You would upload the .package. The .bak files are created by SimPE as a backup of your previous version when you save. So if you found that you'd screwed something up in binning somehow, you could delete the .package file, rename that .bak to .package, and have your old file. Assuming your stuff works right, though, you can just delete the .bak files safely.

adammc80 - It goes into SavedSims, containing your project name, with a string of random numbers and letters at the front. But that's not really what this tutorial is about.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 12:34 PM
Thanks very much for answering. I got a little worried when I didn't see .bak files mentioned anywhere in the tutorial, but that's probably because it's basic knowledge and I'm a newbie at using SimPE ^^;
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 6:38 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to figure out where they were so I could bin them correctly with the tool. Thank you.
Test Subject
#30 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 11:57 PM
I'm a little confused about this one part:

Quote:
Now, under the Resource Tree, choose Property Set (GZPS) (A). Click on the first one listed in the list of property sets (B). Under Plugin View (C), look for the line "hairtone (dtString)" (D) and change it to the same thing you did for the eyebrows in the Hairtone XML (E).

What am I changing this too? I didn't see anything about eyebrows previously and so I'm confused where it says you change it to the same thing you did for the eyebrows... Could someone clarify? I've been trying to figure out a way to this forever, so I'm really happy about this tutorial. Thanks!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#31 Old 21st Dec 2006 at 6:34 AM
mithrril, you might also just look at this, it'll bin things for you using SimPE automatically: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1190910

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#32 Old 21st Dec 2006 at 5:22 PM
Thanks much! I'll check it out.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 24th Dec 2006 at 9:50 PM
Thank you so much! This will be great for re-binning all the hair I got from www.rosesims2.net - I hate when the eyebrows are the wrong colour!

AKA DocRossim
More content here
Find my artwork here
Test Subject
#34 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 11:13 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if is that is possilbe to bin stubble or beards/mustache without using color binning tool?

Thank you.

Please come and check my forum

It is very good forum and have lots of friendly users there.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 4:39 PM
I followed this tutorial and I got my hair in the right bin but they do not form a set so when I switch hair colors it does not keep the same style but switches to a maxis style. Did I do something wrong? How do I get the styles into a set?

I have moved again this time to a private domain here are the links:
Sims 4: https://monochaos.blog/
Sims 2: https://sims2.monochaos.blog/
Test Subject
#36 Old 19th May 2007 at 4:23 PM
Thank you! Great tutorial!
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 21st May 2007 at 7:53 PM
Hi HP. I have a weird problem. I thought who better to ask then you!

My custom hair toggles back to a black color in Seasons, no matter what I do, and I've tried everything.
I specifically change "binned" hairs to custom, if they're not already.
I didn't touch the clothing/hair tool, so it's not that.

I know you can assign hairstyles for different outfits, etc.. But I don't want that. I want to pick a custom hair on-the-spot.

Normally I wouldn't care, but her Sim hubby is attracted to custom hair, and their normal 3-bolt attraction has become a 2!

Sorry, I had a mild stroke and I get confused at times.
Could you help me understand this, and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you for your consideration.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#38 Old 22nd May 2007 at 3:48 AM
I am not sure how you tried to 'undo' the binning of the hair but there is an easy way, except that they're now broken now. I hope you made backups before trying to change things.

Remove your edited broken hairs. Put back in the binned ones.

Go into bodyshop and just make new projects from whatever hairs you want custom. They'll automatically be custom. Import into your game. Taa Daa.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 22nd May 2007 at 6:54 PM
Hi tiggerypum.

I have already made them custom, by going into bodyshop and making new projects. So how can they ALL be broken? I have approx. twenty hairs I made custom that way.
Every single one of them automatically toggle back to a black hair color.

I can't pin-point the axact moment this happened, but it seems I already had Seasons installed, at that point.

Do you think a outfit made for Seasons, from peggysims may have caused something like this?
I correct my Sims hair traits back to custom using simPE, go into my game, change her clothes, and wham! Regular hair is back again.

Do you think I should bodyshop them again? I am so frustrated.

Thank you so much, for taking the time to help.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#40 Old 22nd May 2007 at 8:23 PM
You have a bunch of peggy hair in there? I have at least one cute peggy hair that is improperly 'binned' - it simply does not transition to elder or even show up for elder in my game. I tried writing to her about it and I got back a form letter, tried writing again and it's clear she doesn't understand English well enough to handle bug reports.

Frankly, I would put $$ on you having one or more busted hairs in there. I have no idea how peggy constructs her stuff, or if one could create a broken body mesh that might break hair meshes, that seems less likely. Is this only happening with that sim with that outfit? If so it's probably the outfit. But I do remember at least once someone having a bad hair file that damaged how other hairs displayed also. It wasn't the same issue, but I certainly think it could be a bad file.

To try and track/sort things out - you will need to keep track of the sorts of things you've tried in order to find a bad file.

Before going too far - I suggest you clear out your cache files - you can delete any cache files you find in your my documents/ea games folder. Then when you start the game they will rebuild new.

Assuming you don't have any 'hair' hacks (like hide Maxis hair or some other oddity), I would try removing your downloads and saved sims folder - and then putting a few of the modded hairs into a new downloads folder (you might need to also put an object in there for the game to recognize that there are custom things - I had a problem with that once that I forgot to document). Then go test them.

Now it could be if you had a bad file that was effecting those hairs that your recolors are just bad - but in that case I have no idea how we'd track that down. In general the technique for finding a bad file is remove half your downloads, check for the error, then take those out and put the other half in and check for the error. Assuming only one group had the error, you then go back to that group and split it again, keeping track of the results for each round of testing until you find the bad one. (there's entire directions for finding bad downloads in the game help area)

Test Subject
#41 Old 15th Jun 2007 at 11:17 PM
wow, I'm way late on this, but... thanks so much This was actually a little easier for me to do than to figure out the colour binning tool. Crazy! But seriously, this was a big help, I have such a ridiculous amount of downloads, and I'm only recently figuring out how to recat. custom clothes, and now I know how to do the hair as well thanks to you
Test Subject
#42 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 3:29 AM
I have a question. A burning question, as I'm trying to bin all my hair now. I'm using the body shop to figure out what hair I need to bin. Problem is, this does not tell me the file names. Is there any quick way to find the file names of hairstyles that are not binned?
Test Subject
#43 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 7:28 AM Last edited by Caemi : 6th Sep 2007 at 8:04 AM.
Have you tried pressing Ctr + Shift + C and, typing "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true," and then pressing Shift + N(or maybe it was Ctrl + N) while in Create A Family mode? I'm not sure if it'll help you much, but it did pop up with a bunch of internal information when mousing over the images.

I also have a question myself. Granted, this is an old tutorial, but I don't think it's outdated so I think the problem lies on my end. The binning works marvelously, but my question is, why don't the preview thumbnails seem to work in Create A Family mode?

Here's an example of one of xmsims hairs that though I haven't binned myself, am experiencing the exact same problem.

And apologies of this doesn't belong here.
Test Subject
#44 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 8:26 AM
is there any way besides BodyShop to bin them into the custom hair? I'd like to move some pinks that are binned red, whites that are binned blonde, etc.
Test Subject
#45 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 7:51 PM
Thanks! This was so very extremely helpful. I just used SimPE for the very first time yesterday. I'm so proud of myself! :P
Test Subject
#46 Old 7th Oct 2007 at 6:26 PM
This is the best hair binning tutorial I've found! I thank you (x5,000000) for doing this and I recommend this for people who are just bored with doing recolours of hair and them ending up in the custom bin. Thanks!

He who forgives is worthy of friendship - and has probably been bribed.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#47 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 11:12 PM
The tutorial states that this gives us 4 grays instead of 1, is there anyway to link them all to the same gray so we don't have 4 identical grays. Like how maxis does it with just one?
Field Researcher
#48 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:40 PM
hey, this is great, thanks! Is there a way to re-bin already binned hair? Some hair makers put blond in brown, red in blond, brown in black etc. I'm tired of pink haired townies with red eyebrows, lol. It frustrates me so much. If there is a tutorial, I'd like to know =)
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 6th Nov 2007 at 1:02 AM
Is there a way to figure out from the property set if a hair color is binned or not? I spent a lot of time this fall fixing hairs with the colorbin plug-in, but my computer melted down and I lost all my fixed hair. I can't stand the idea of doing it all over again when they might not all need binning.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#50 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 1:13 AM
spikesminx, yes, you can rebin hair with this method. Although ones you want to be unique and not picked up by townies, you can just recolor in bodyshop and then toss the original - like for your pink that's binned red.

the evil writer - if you look at the codes, the 4 main hair colors have very recognizable codes, so uhm yes.

Page 2 of 4