Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1807
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 16 (Who?), Viewed: 31117 times.
Search this Thread
Old 30th Oct 2010, 6:19 PM DefaultNew freaking curved pool tool.... #1
clakell
Original Poster

Test Subject

Ok, I've looked just about everywhere else on the internet, and no one else is having the same issue as me. Maybe it's just a mac thing, or a HUGE bug, or i'm stupid, but here goes.

The new curved pool tool. No, you don't have to have late night to use it. It's in the newest update and I'm trying to learn how to use it. When I place one corner, fine, it works, but I can't rotate the orientation of the corner of the tool. This means I can't have more than one curved corner, and it can only be in one direction. I've tried pre-placing the pool, using the concave tool, the fountain tool version, and even seeing if it's just that one size. But nothing seems to work. Has anyone actually successfully gotten the Curved Pool Tool to work? Can you help me please? I need help!

EDIT: I tested this on my PC, with only the base game, and I had the same issue. Now I have no idea what to say.

Thank you !
Last edited by clakell : 30th Oct 2010 at 6:37 PM. Reason: New information
Old 30th Oct 2010, 11:35 PM #2
TVRdesigns
Field Researcher

19 Achievements

View My Journal

Have you tried using the < and > keys?

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Old 31st Oct 2010, 12:39 AM #3
clakell
Original Poster

Test Subject

I have. Those keys are already set for the camera.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 11:02 PM #4
Marcos_Edson
Field Researcher

10 Achievements

As TVR said, you use the < and > keys to rotate the new curved pools and fountains as well tiles; this is done during placement, once in place you can´t pick a pool/fountain bit or tile to rotate it and those keys will then rotate the camera.
Old 1st Nov 2010, 6:03 AM #5
armiel
Veteran Finn

37 Achievements

View My Journal

Other keys that work for rotating items are . and ,
Might be just on Finnish keyboard, but I doubt it. I have never used < and > for rotating
Old 1st Nov 2010, 12:19 PM #6
Kojin
Test Subject

I'm using a german keyboard layout and can't use < > either but , . are working just fine.
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 1:28 AM #7
Marcos_Edson
Field Researcher

10 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiel
Other keys that work for rotating items are . and ,
Might be just on Finnish keyboard, but I doubt it. I have never used < and > for rotating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojin
I'm using a german keyboard layout and can't use < > either but , . are working just fine.

Well, in my keyboard layout < and > uses the same keys as , and .
I thought this was pretty much universal...
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 4:43 AM #8
The Shoveler
Lab Assistant

8 Achievements

Anyone else notice that pool walls no longer behave like they used to? Before LN (and the latest game patch), pool walls had a thickness equal to regular walls. Now, pool walls are two dimensional and simply mark the boundaries of the pool. Long story short: no more pool windows like in Flabaliki's tutorial.

"All right, now listen. We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 9:17 PM #9
candlelight82
Scholar

12 Achievements

Now Pool windows are very easy... just look at one of the houses that came with LN
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot-2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  147.9 KB  
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 11:05 PM #10
Marcos_Edson
Field Researcher

10 Achievements

But not pool windows like in the linked tutorial which shows a basement connected to a pool.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 11:49 PM #11
Srikandi
Eminence Grise

13 Achievements

The issue I had with this tool, and the one I thought the OP was talking about when I read the thread title, was this: it's easy to ROTATE the pieces, but it's not at all obvious how to FLIP them, which is necessary for symmetrical pools/fountains.

What you need to do to flip a piece is invert the height/width settings. So for instance if you have a 2x4 piece, its flipped version is going to be 4x2. You can then rotate it to the orientation you need.

Possibly I'm the only person who took a while to figure this out, but just in case there are others I thought I'd post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 7:04 PM #12
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

Keyboards are different all over, according to the language settings you have. I have used . and , to turn the pieces.

I also tried linking a basement to the pool with no luck, but that might just be me doing it wrong. Something I have noticed is the thin walls all around my house until I put windows in it. Have you tried putting windows in to widen it?
I agree Srikandi, it might be obvious to turn the pieces with the slider, but important to mention anyway
Old 14th Dec 2010, 10:57 AM #13
labratcreations
Test Subject

Have you tried swapping the length and width of the curve? you have to do this sometimes if it is not a symetrical curve.

i.e.

if the curve has a length of 5 and width of 1 and can not be gotten in the correct rotation simply through rotation you may need to switch it to a length of 1 and a width of 5
Old 20th Dec 2010, 11:06 PM #14
rcranger9
Field Researcher

1 Achievements

to connect the basement to the pool the poll has to be on the ground and not the foundation. then you create the basement next to the pool.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Old 9th Mar 2011, 3:48 PM DefaultBasement pool with windows #15
dragonarts
Lab Assistant

16 Achievements

View My Journal

I hate to ninja this thread, and probably someone has already found this out, but I was looking and couldn't find anything, so I'll post anyway. Candlelight82 said it was easy to put windows in a basement looking into a pool, but didn't say how. I came here looking for how to do that, and got an idea to try.

This is what I did:
1. Make your basement at least one square bigger than the dimensions of your pool in all directions.
2. Make your pool the size you want.
3. Arrow down to the basement level and sledgehammer the extra basement walls around your pool. I left the side where I wanted a room with windows, of course.
4. Place the windows.

The only cheat I had active was testingcheats.

Probably this post isn't needed. Probably someone else discovered this a long time ago and posted it somewhere I'm just too blind to find. But in case others are looking, and just as blind, here it is.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Old 10th Mar 2011, 11:18 AM #16
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

It's beginning to annoy me with the difference in width on a poolwall or a regular wall. Why can't they be similar.
Old 31st Aug 2012, 3:41 PM #17
CindyLew
Test Subject

Thank you for this thread. I was having the exact same issue as clakell. It might be the keyboards we are using, i have a wireless Microsoft Arc keyboard, mine also shares the same key, use 1 key to move in all directions, i will try the shortcuts ya'll suggested and see if that works. Thank You!

By The Way............I know this is a old thread, but it was quite helpful

IT WORKED!! The , & . did the trick...Thank you so much!!
Last edited by CindyLew : 31st Aug 2012 at 5:55 PM.

Section jump: