Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 2:08 PM
Default Converting objects from Sims 3 to Sims 2 deco
Hello, today I have been trying to find out how to convert an object from the Sims 3, to make a decorative object in the Sims 2. The object would just be for my own use, as I'm not sure what the creator's policies are (I've messaged them, but no response so far)

I watched a video by the Ninth Wave Sims, which was quite good, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to have the Sims 3 installed on my computer? The object I would like to convert is custom content which I have downloaded, as far as I know it doesn't require any EP's.

2. If I do need the Sims 3 to extract the textures and mesh, could my sister extract them on her computer (she plays the Sims 3 and has all EP's), and e-mail them to me? Then could I do the rest of it on my computer?

3. Does anyone know of any good tutorials to follow? I'd prefer things written down, rather than following a video, if possible.

Thanks to anyone who can help
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 9:41 PM
1. If the object is custom and does not refer to any resources (mesh/texture) from elsewhere in the game's files, no. You've already download the object and its mesh/textures should be within its file(s).

2. Since you already have the object, you can extract it yourself with whatever tool(s) are used with TS3 objects. (I'm a TS2-er some my knowledge of TS3 modding tools is limited.)

3, I would recommend you check out JWood's Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial. It will take you through the steps of creating a new object. Since you will already have the mesh made and UV mapped with a texture to go with it, you won't really need to do those parts in the tutorial.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 10:11 AM
Basic overview of the process:
  • Open the TS3 file in S3PE
  • If the resources have names, extract the lod1 MLOD and the multiplier _IMG.
  • If the resources don't have names, extract all the MLODs and all the _IMGs. Open the MLODs in Milkshape to work out which is the most detailed and delete the rest. Open the _IMGs in your graphics editor and keep the greyscale one.
  • Follow any random TS2 object creation tutorial up until the point at which you need to import the mesh.
  • Import the TS2 mesh into Milkshape, import the TS3 mesh excluding bone definitions, and assign the TS3 mesh to the same bone that the TS2 mesh is assigned to. Delete the TS2 mesh and import back into SimPE.
  • Colour the texture - more info available if you ask . and import into SimPE.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 7:45 PM
Oh thankyou both, that's really helpful