Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 5:56 AM Last edited by ijustneedsomeeyes : 14th Jan 2014 at 3:48 AM.
Default Tutorial - mininessie's Accessory Tutorial Updated, thanks to Gwenke33
It should actually be called Gwenke33's Improved Version of mininessie's tutorial, but I can write this.

CREDITS:
The Original Accessories Tutorial by mininessie. (She is retired, so no bug her /w questions, plz. You got questions? Post here!)
Gwenke33, this would not have been possible without them Hip hip hooray! x 5
The Original (Solved) Help Thread, where my problem got fixed.

You Will Need:
The GMDC/mesh that will become the new glasses. Or at least an idea. SimPE The girl mesh from the original tutorial. If you want an adult male accessory, you should look around for a male whole body mesh somewhere. When I find one, I will update this thread. Update: Depending on how you want to place the accesory, the female mesh can work for male adults too. Just get the placement right.
Body Shop
Patience and Determination, along with the willingness to ask questions, as well as reading the tutorial thoroughly.

I'll do this quick and dirty, since it'll mostly lag less. If I skipped/made a mistake, tell me. I am only human, I make errors.:
  1. Create a new glasses package in bodyshop, preferrably base game glasses. I used the square frameless lens glasses with the black frame, it should be all the way to the right hand side. You don't need the Projects folder or anything, so just clone & import to game, so it creates a .package file that will usually be found in your SavedSims or Downloads folder, depending on your configuration.
  2. Open SimPE>File>New. Tools>PJSE>Extracting Stage>Browse>YOURGLASSES>Yes.
  3. This part really depends on which mesh you want to make. On the one hand, if you try to import x<1<x (any number not 1) number of meshes, SimPE will throw a tantrum and refuse. So go ahead and in GMDC, Resource List, delete every other mesh, except the first mesh. (Right click & Delete) Save.
  4. Muy importante: Tools>Object Tools>Fix Integrity. Unless you want these glasses to override the defaults, of course, which I would not blame you for.
  5. The Scenegraph Rename Wizard window will pop up. Rename the model's name, click Update and click Ok.
  6. Save your new mesh package in the same folder (preferrably with suffix _MESH) as the cloned glasses with Save As, not Save. Save won't do anything. Close your new mesh package and open up the cloned glasses package.
  7. This is the fun part! Go to the 3D ID Referencing File (3DIR) and click once on every resource in the Resource List, check on what it says in the Plugin View (3D Referencing File Editor window).
  8. See this image? This has been taken from mininessie's accessories tutorial. Look at the window in the plugin view. Everything with that junk written in needs to be re-linked.
  9. When you have finally clicked on a resource that need to be fixed, go to Tools>PJSE>Body Mesh>Linking>Your mesh. When you have clicked your second accept, WITHOUT saving, click another resource and click on the previous resource again. Do this for each valid (NOT every)3D ID Referencing File, until they all link to that one mesh you didn't delete. Save and close.
  10. Open the meshfile and extract the GMDC. Right click, extract and save as myglasses GMDC. This is your base, do not corrupt.
  11. In mininessie's tutorial, she provides a FEMALE base model, just so you, the creator, can get the placement right. The file is called girl base model by mininessie.rar, so go get that. It is a GMDC of a girl model, can be found here.

Now this is where we have to deviate from the tutorial. This is what I did and it worked for me, but depending on the nature of your mesh and what you are trying to do, it may or may not work for you. Meshing is tricky! fakepeeps7 says that meshing accessories are even trickier! So if your mesh goes transparent, crushed, discolored, catches on fire, etc. do not get discouraged. And feel free to ask the meshing help forums, the forums are here to help.

Okay, quote: (btw, you should just delete the lens entirely, you'll save your mesh just over 400 polycounts. The quotes after mine by Gwenke33 will tell you how.)

Quote: Originally posted by ijustneedsomeeyes
Here are the steps that I did after restarting:

- I PJSE Extracted a new mesh from the base game glasses (female).
- Opened Milkshape, put BOTH the skin weight of the lens AND the frame as 3, snapped & moved the lens to the middle.
Saved this as "Milkfish Base Frame".
- Opened a SEPARATE instance of Milkshape, imported the girl model, imported the fish, placed the fish on the head.
Then deleted the girl and all the bones/joints. Saved this as "Hat Mesh".
- Imported the fish from "Hat Mesh" into "Milkfish Base Frame", copied the comments from the original frame into the
fish comments, renamed fish into frame, deleted original frame, selected both lens and the new frame and did "Assign"
to head.
- Exported with Unimesh Exporter and imported into the mesh package as normal and presto! We now have a hat that fits
teens, but the fish goes through adult heads!
- So then we go into the non-mesh package (where the textures are), go into XMCL (Mesh Overlay XML), click the "Name"
tab in the Resource Library to organize by name, delete everything that starts with "af"/"am" and save.

In short, it turns out that Milkshape had been importing extra bone definitions from the girl model without prompting me for my permission, for some reason. There were two head joints which confused the package as a result. Nevertheless, it is fixed now, thanks everybody! :D

Alright, now this is what you must do, if you only want one mesh and want to not bloat your file with +400 extra polycounts. The second quote is CRUCIAL to get rid of flashing blue errors:

Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
Great!
One more thing you might consider: when you snapped the lens group, you preserved two lenses worth of vertices for nothing. It's enough to keep 3 so that the group does not disappear. (Or you can also have just one group without blue flashing if you're willing to edit the TXMT a little.)

Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
If you keep the recolour made for 2 groups but your mesh has just one group, it will seem to work but the accessory will flash blue each time you re-load the lot or your sim goes to a community lot. Either keep a minimal lens group or modify the XMOL (not the txmt, sorry) like this:
change the numoverrides value from 0x00000002 to 0x00000001
delete the overrideXshape, overrideXsubset and overrideXresourcekeyidx lines in which the number X is greater than 0 (there's probably 1 of each, depending on what you recoloured).
Check that the overrideXsubset that has the group name that you want (frame) is the one that's left. Otherwise some more tweaking is needed.
You have to do this for all XMOLs in the package (that are in use), but only once: after that, just recolour this one (and then discard it).

And you should be done. It is not good to see in Bodyshop, as bodyshop will "unfold" parts of your mesh that have an "origami-like" fold, so it will look wrong. Instead, you should test in-game, you'll need to anyway, to take nice screenshots for MTS. For picture taking, you should use leefish's No Red Lines Mod to get rid of the ugly red pause lines + a camera mod (I use GunMod's All Game Version 3.1).
Screenshots

When noregen hacks are not enough...you know what you must do. (RIP Mootilda , pay your respects in the thread and in her guestbook.)
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 6:16 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to update the information in the original tutorial, it is much appreciated.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish