Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:14 PM
Default Routing Query
Ok so I have a few questions about routing in caw:

1. If the lines are broken in the middle but meet up is that okay?
2 . The sea and shallow rivers I made show up in red with steepness, do I rout them non-routable?
3. If you have a little island then the lines don't connect with the land does this matter? I would imagine the sims will just swim there.
4. Also if a dot is connected with just one line is this gonna cause problems?
Thanks to anyone who can help
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 8:30 AM
This is fine, the routing lines are there, just "hidden" by uneven terrain.

This might cause problems. Though the dot is connected, there is only one way which can easily be blocked (by strays or horses or simply because the sims sometimes do not manage to just turn around).

So dots should be connected at least with two lines, but the more the better :-)

This will definitely cause problems, as the dots are not connected:

As for the sea routing, I am not sure I understand your question. Ocean water (and rivers or lakes at ocean water level) are non-routable by default (and shown as red), so you don't need to paint them.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 5:16 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply. This is very helpful, I recently looked at eyelems tutorial and it looked much more complicated, she mentioned about lining the routing to the grid and I'm not sure what she means or if it's necessary.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 8:48 PM
You are welcome. As you can see from her screenshots, the non-routing paint can be applied only in squares of the grid unlike the regular terrain paint which can be blended independently from the grid. So one square of the grid is either routable or non-routable. It might help to change the brush to square to apply non-routing paint.

Did you relate to this post? I think the answer by kiwi_tea/SimGuruSarah a bit further down might answer you question about the grid.
Scholar
#5 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 8:54 PM
As mentioned above, I find it much easier to apply routing paint for situations like in the pictures with the grid turned on and using a 1 square paint brush. Then, I can add or subtract squares until I have smooth, continuous, connected lines all around the edges/objects. I check all the edges everywhere and it helps a lot with routing. Good luck with your project!
dodgy builder
#6 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 9:44 PM
One thing I have been wondering about is in those cases where the terrain jumps above the lines, but the lines are still connected like pic 1 in post 2. The EA people says it doesn't follow the terrain, but I can't help but thinking the Sims will look like they walk below ground. Depending on the situation that might look odd.

I often used to put plants down where I couldn't make the lines meet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 3:08 AM
I will try to use a square brush for routing most of the time but it is impossible to use it on some diagonal parts as you can't rotate the square brush.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
You are welcome. As you can see from her screenshots, the non-routing paint can be applied only in squares of the grid unlike the regular terrain paint which can be blended independently from the grid. So one square of the grid is either routable or non-routable. It might help to change the brush to square to apply non-routing paint.

Did you relate to this post? I think the answer by kiwi_tea/SimGuruSarah a bit further down might answer you question about the grid.
yup that was the post.
Scholar
#9 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
I will try to use a square brush for routing most of the time but it is impossible to use it on some diagonal parts as you can't rotate the square brush.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. I have no problem moving the paintbrush - whatever size it is - diagonally across the world. I never rotate the brush. If necessary, I rotate the world. Once I've done that, I move the view in closer and add or delete non routing paint and then re-build the routing to make the lines connect the way I want them to. It's a bit tedious but well worth it to avoid routing problems. When you're working with a very small brush - 1 of 2 squares - it really doesn't matter whether the brush is round or square. I like to use the square brush when I'm painting large areas following the grid lines.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. I have no problem moving the paintbrush - whatever size it is - diagonally across the world. I never rotate the brush. If necessary, I rotate the world. Once I've done that, I move the view in closer and add or delete non routing paint and then re-build the routing to make the lines connect the way I want them to. It's a bit tedious but well worth it to avoid routing problems. When you're working with a very small brush - 1 of 2 squares - it really doesn't matter whether the brush is round or square. I like to use the square brush when I'm painting large areas following the grid lines.
I mean some times the brush doesn't align with the grid even when the grid is rotated. I don't think you can rotate the world only the grid.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:32 PM
Simmy might be talking about the camera