Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 8:14 PM
Default Any idea what affects how fast plants grow?
I did some looking around but can't seem to find anything. I want to have gardener sims, but the plants just take a freaking eternity to start off. I was hoping to change it to a 2 or 3 day process from planted -> producing fruits. But I can't find anything about this!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:06 AM
I was wondering this myself because I loved Black_Spirit's More Harvestables mod but it's incompatible with WA. I was looking through the GameplayData.package and found the file in it that seems to control plant growth is "Plants," i.e.:

<PlantList>
<PlantName>Tomato Plant</PlantName>
<LocalizationKeyPlantName>TomatoPlant</LocalizationKeyPlantName>
<LocalizationKeySeedName>TomatoSeed</LocalizationKeySeedName>
<LocalizationKeyDescription>TomatoDescription</LocalizationKeyDescription>
<Rarity>Common</Rarity>
<SkillPointsPlant>175</SkillPointsPlant>
<SkillPointsHarvest>125</SkillPointsHarvest>
<PerfThresholdAvgToGood>95</PerfThresholdAvgToGood>
<PerfThresholdGoodToGreat>105</PerfThresholdGoodToGreat>
<PerfBonusDrySoil>-40</PerfBonusDrySoil>
<PerfBonusNeutralSoil>40</PerfBonusNeutralSoil>
<PerfBonusWetSoil>90</PerfBonusWetSoil>
<WaterDecay>3</WaterDecay>
<WeedProblem>0.2</WeedProblem>
<HarvestStateDurationMin>2</HarvestStateDurationMin>
<HarvestStateDurationMax>4</HarvestStateDurationMax>
<NumLifetimeHarvestables>20</NumLifetimeHarvestables>
<NumHarvestablesMin>2</NumHarvestablesMin>
<NumHarvestablesMax>4</NumHarvestablesMax>
<MedatorName>GardenPlantBush</MedatorName>
</PlantList>

HarvestStateDuration seems to dictate how long plant growth takes as these are the values that are changed in Black_Spirit's mod, but I haven't yet found the right values to actually make the plants grow faster and yield more produce. The old values used in the original MoreHarvestables mod don't seem to work.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:16 AM
I think that's just how long it takes before they are harvestable again, not how long it takes for them to grow. I want planting -> growing plants to be much shorter but nothing seems to match that. ;-;
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:10 AM Last edited by deathoflight : 4th Feb 2010 at 5:35 AM.
I went into the Ingredients XML and changed the fertilizer strength of onions to 50. Life Fruit fertilized with SuperOnions went through one growth stage per day, and were harvestable on day five, and each day thereafter. Unfertilized Life Fruit were still at the sprout stage on day five.

Quality of fruit seemed unaffected. This may decrease the number of fruit produced in a plants lifespan. I only got 15 grapes per plant before they went barren. I think it's usually 30, yeah? EDIT: Nevermind, regular grapes just give 15. So quantity and quality unaffected, just faster growing.

Try that?
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:31 AM
Hmmm, that's interesting. Doesnt fertilizer up the quality of plants though? That would make the whole process a bit unfair. ;-;
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:39 AM Last edited by deathoflight : 4th Feb 2010 at 5:51 AM.
I didn't see a difference, really. I'll poke it again, with a low level gardener. The one I was testing with was Green Thumb, level 10 gardening. Planted normal grape, grew into great plants, harvested as excellent produce. Sounds about right for common seeds.

Does fertilizer change the quality, or just the speed of growing?

EDIT:

Just tested with a new sim. Two tomato plants, normal seed, planted by a level 1 gardener, one fertilized with SuperOnion, both harvested by level 3 gardener. Both produced 1 nice tomato, 2 normal tomato. No quality difference. I see no proof fertilizer effects quality.

Re-edit: This was just a proof of concept type thing. To be less cheaty you would probably want to tweak each fertilizer individually, so that only the best ones would make daily growth/harvest. I'm not doing that, because I do not care. Plants grow fast enough for me.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:51 AM
Oh, so it is just speed. Well, if you dont mind, could you package that little modification up and post it here? Because it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Plus the shorter life cycle makes up for the increased growth speed, kinda balancing everything out.
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 6:05 AM
Sure, have at it. Be warned that I've spent all of half an hour using s3pe, so if it blows up on you...well, you were warned.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  oniontest.zip (1.7 KB, 144 downloads) - View custom content