Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2017 at 8:55 PM Last edited by Prime : 12th Mar 2017 at 5:10 AM.
Default Alpha issue with sims 2 accessory. Help? SOLVED/FIXED
im having a problem with an accessory i made in the sims 2. I made a custom accessory of a sim model being carried. BUT the alpha isn't working right at all. I have a picture of the issue below. and i have a picture of the alpha image (i resized it so i can fit it on this forum. it's true size is 2048x2048) im also having this same problem with another accessory i created too.
does anyone know how i can get the alpha to work? i believe i have to edit something of the texture file in SimPE to enable the alpha but what do i have to edit? please help.
and if you need more info just ask...

here's the alpha image (resized from 2048 x 2048)

Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 2:17 AM
Ooookay.... so I'm not that experienced with alpha files... but maybe on the actual texture image (the one where you normally put the colours and which probably has a specific name I don't know :D) you have a white background around the texture of the necklace? Because as far as I know the unsused areas of a body shop texture image are always black? So maybe if that's the case, try to remove the white around the texture of the necklace, even though that's gonna make the necklace probably a bit hard to see on your image but you can always save a copy or use the alpha image and overlay the original image with it to see where you have to edit :3

Hope this helps

I apologise in advance for every stupid question I'll ask. Actually sharing my creations instead of just making them for my own game is a whole new area for me ^.^
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LizzieDarcy
Ooookay.... so I'm not that experienced with alpha files... but maybe on the actual texture image (the one where you normally put the colours and which probably has a specific name I don't know :D) you have a white background around the texture of the necklace? Because as far as I know the unsused areas of a body shop texture image are always black? So maybe if that's the case, try to remove the white around the texture of the necklace, even though that's gonna make the necklace probably a bit hard to see on your image but you can always save a copy or use the alpha image and overlay the original image with it to see where you have to edit :3

Hope this helps

thanks but that didnt fix it
but thanks for trying to help <3 i think its something i need to edit in SimPE
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
thanks but that didnt fix it
but thanks for trying to help <3 i think its something i need to edit in SimPE

have you tried to make the complete alpha image black and see if the square is still there? Or the texture image in a solid colour, like completely red? just to see if the the square becomes red? :3 that's how I normally do it if something doesn't work, eliminating the possibilities if nothing happens to that square at all then you at least know for sure those images aren't the problem

I apologise in advance for every stupid question I'll ask. Actually sharing my creations instead of just making them for my own game is a whole new area for me ^.^
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 4:35 AM
i just tried that right now too, it still didnt work
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
i just tried that right now too, it still didnt work

Maybe check out an accessory tutorial about making one from scratch and see if there's something you missed out on? Also have you tried to go without alpha at all? I've had a look at some accessory packages in SimPE just now and none of them had an alpha texture.. they all just had a texture image with transparency :3

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 10:48 AM
Have you set the blend mode appropriately in the TXMT?

Quote:
- Click the Content tab and Categorized Properties subtab.
- In the Default Texture Blending section, set stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend
This is needed for correct transparency.
- Click the cMaterialDefinition subtab.
- In the Type field, change SimSkin to SimStandardMaterial.
This is needed so transparent parts are transparent, not skin colored.

Source: http://stonegod.org/sims2/tutorial/...ml#recolPackage

Quote: Originally posted by LizzieDarcy
I've had a look at some accessory packages in SimPE just now and none of them had an alpha texture.. they all just had a texture image with transparency :3
Bodyshop combines the texture and the alpha texture into a single image with transparency when you import the CC, so this is normal - you'll always have a separate alpha image when you're working in Bodyshop, and a combined texture when you're working in SimPE.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 5:38 PM
If you've done what LizzieDarcy said and it changed nothing in game, perhaps the thing isn't refering your texture, but the one you cloned or something else ...

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Have you set the blend mode appropriately in the TXMT?

I tried that but now it's showing up like this... is there something else i have to change?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 7:58 PM
You changed the mode for the wrong mesh group. Or alternatively, you didn't separate out the pendant into its own mesh group, which you need to do. If the whole thing is one group, you can run through that tutorial I linked above (start from the beginning, not from the section I linked to) to add a new alpha group without messing up your non-alpha group.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Prime : 11th Mar 2017 at 10:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You changed the mode for the wrong mesh group. Or alternatively, you didn't separate out the pendant into its own mesh group, which you need to do. If the whole thing is one group, you can run through that tutorial I linked above (start from the beginning, not from the section I linked to) to add a new alpha group without messing up your non-alpha group.

oh i see. yeah, you're right. i did it all as one mesh group. However, the original object i clonned was these glasses from the sims 2 that had 3 mesh groups (frame, lens, and rim) right now, everything is in the frame group, however, i can just put the necklace as a lens group instead and make it have it's own texture and everything? I get what you're saying now
i'll go fix it

UPDATE: I fixed it! thanks :D