Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 2:37 AM Last edited by Simonut : 28th Jun 2018 at 1:03 AM.
Default Community lot Only mod Let's add a community bookcase
Hello To everyone, I have a custom hood, one of the Community lot I have is "A Computer Center" I have about 8 computer in it. WCIF a mod that will allow all Sims including townies to use the computer autonomously. ( on their own ) But I only want it to be control only on a community ONLY. I don't want Sims coming to other Sims home walking in to use their computer, just on a community. Please share.

NOTE: One down one to go the mod for having a Internet on a community lot have been solved. Now WCIF a bookcase for a community lot "Only" for a library, but will not affect the home lot bookcase
interactions I ran across one link left by a member, but I do not have the EPs for it. I need a mod that will work with Seasons.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:29 AM
I have one! It's a clone of the ugly, clunky, cheap basegame computer and it doesn't have all functions visitor-enabled (just playing games, chatting, and emailing, if memory serves), but it's only available in the community-lot catalog and visiting Sims will use it autonomously (though not as often as I'd like, personally, so I should probably tweak it one of these days.) Anyway, someone (no idea who) made it with the idea of having them in libraries and internet cafes and such.

Like I said, I have no idea who made it (the file name is not helpful) and Googling isn't finding it, so I just reuploaded it to my own SFS account for you here: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/582776/

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:44 PM
Grabbing.... My unemployment center needs it! Thanks,@iCad
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:33 AM Last edited by Simonut : 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:44 AM.
@iCad I thank you for sharing this with me and others. It work just like I wanted all the Sims are having fun playing games,even the townies. :lovestruc

Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 10:51 AM
Glad to hear it, @Simonut ! Enjoy! One of these days, I'm going to make some similar clones of some other computers, just because that basegame one is so...well...dated. And ugly.

@Justpetro Yeah, that's a good use for it! Of course, they won't look for jobs on them -- I suppose you can consider the games to be "job training" -- but at least there'll be butts in the chairs. It's creepy/useless when you build lots with "public computers" on them (Like "Sims Gone Wired" in the Maxis downtown) and no one uses them.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 11:51 AM
That is what I thought I don't' want them to look for jobs; I want them to look as if they may be looking for jobs! I have all these skill building going on there (the elder knowledge sims teach the others); as well as the elder family sims cooking meals for the young unemployed, so I can't let a chance go by to improve it
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 12:53 PM
@Justpetro

Off-topic, but for your unemployment/teaching lot, have you seen Sophie-David's "Opportunity" items? They're pretty cool for having Sims teach other Sims things directly, even if the "teacher" isn't just a Knowledge Sim but rather a Sim who is actually knowledgeable about whatever they're teaching. I'm working on developing a totally revamped way of playing Uni, part of which is "playable" classes instead of the game's "rabbit hole" classes, and I'm going to use those things extensively. Might be useful for your lot, too.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:24 PM
@iCad

Yes, I have been using them on my lot.
I actually do use them in my Uni hood as well! I made lecture 'halls' for the different opportunity packs, a dance studio too; my students have been going to classes for a while It is tremendous fun. The only little problem is that some of the ex-students, when turning up to teach, revert back to young adults (but I just grow them up again)
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 12:25 AM
@iCad I just can't thank you enough for sharing that mod, I have had that lot for a very long time my "Computer Center" with no action, I would direct my Sim and all the other Sims would just stand around doing nothing.
Now this lot is really useful, It's perfect that they are only playing games now all the Sims including the townies think they are top gamers ( lol ).

I am thinking about removing the book shelves I have in there they never go toward them to sat down to read, right now it like a deco objects. Only if I direct my main playing Sims to read then it happen.
I hope you do make other computer clones of this mod if the time permit you too. but right now the old style computer look good to me because the mod work. Thank You Much. :lovestruc

Note: I think I am going to build a small Computer Center In my other neighborhood as well.

Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 1:21 PM Last edited by iCad : 25th Jun 2018 at 1:50 PM.
@Simonut I'm happy that that computer made your lot more fun! I've kinda never understood why the computers weren't visitor-enabled. I mean, I CAN kinda understand -- you wouldn't want visitors to residential lots using a family's computer -- but since EA itself made an "internet cafe" lot in its downtown when they made NL, you'd think that THEY would've made a community-lot-only, visitor-enabled computer with limited functionality. But...nope.

So, yeah, I've put "more comm-lot-only computers" on my to-do list for CC making. I post a download every Monday on my Simblr (link in my sig), so that'll appear there...one of these days. (Although "Download Monday" has been suspended for the time being, while I work on a huge defaulting-all-the-hairs project. But when I resume...Yeah, I'll be doing those.)

As for the bookshelves, yeah, I'm pretty sure none of them are visitor-enabled as-is, except for the "College Research" function on uni campuses. So you can put them on community lots all you want and townies won't use them. Which, you know, makes library lots kinda useless. Visiting non-playables will stand around talking or doing other things on the lot that are visitor-enabled, but they won't sit down and read. But maybe this will help: A while back, I made this bookcase that makes studying cooking/cleaning/mechanical autonomous. It, too, was not visitor-enabled, but I just quickly added that. It's not at all tested, but if you want to give it a try and see how it works, I uploaded the visitor-enabled version to SFS here: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/589594/ It's just the mesh, so you might want to also download the original download on the Tumblr post if you want more color options. Just don't use the version of the mesh included with that download. If you (or anyone else!) decide to try it, let me know how it works. I'm actually working on an updated version of that bookcase that includes the "life skills" (Physiology, Parenting, Couples Counseling, etc.) and that is repositoried to the Maxis bookcase. (The life skills work, the repositorying....not so much yet. ). So, if the visitor-enabling works, I'll include that in the final updated bookcase, too.

Of course, visitor-enabling means that it'll be visitor enabled on residential lots, too, but I guess that might not be a bad thing. Also, IIRC, the advertising on that bookcase isn't too strong because I didn't want to make it too attractive on residential lots. So, on community lots if there are other fun things to do around (like playing games on computers ), they might completely trump the bookcases. Although maybe serious Sims will prefer reading, who knows? Whatever the case, it might be worth it to make a community-lot-only version, with stronger advertising, for use on library lots and whatnot...

EDIT: Thanks for the real link, HL. I coulda sworn I got it on MATY, but couldn't find it there. I did search here, too, but the search function on this site never seems to work very well for me. :\

Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 5:24 PM
Yay! My internet cafe will be busier now. Thank you!

And I've been using Sophie-David Opportunity stuff for years. A campus doesn't seem like much of one
without it. And should I upload my dance studio in time (hopefully, I have until midnight the 30th to do this and didn't miss anything), the flamingo will have a leading role. It's not much of a dance studio without a teacher!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Alchemist
#13 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 4:12 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 27th Jun 2018 at 5:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
iCad I just can't thank you enough for sharing that mod, I have had that lot for a very long time my "Computer Center" with no action, ...now all the Sims including the townies think they are top gamers ( lol ).

I am thinking about removing the book shelves I have in there they never go toward them to sat down to read, right now it like a deco objects. Only if I direct my main playing Sims to read then it happen.

I built a small public library and they were just coming and chatting and playing hacky sack, but then I got this http://modthesims.info/d/318284, and I tweaked it a bit to make reading a bit more attractive to them. I also set up BOs Need Freak to keep them slightly needing comfort and fun which they get by sitting down and reading, too, so now the public library works great. I don't have to direct them at all.

The Need Freak is actually the stack of books on the picnic table - I changed its model to fit my decor.
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 12:02 PM
@Sunrader

I don't have that mod, but I'm pretty sure it edits the global BHAVs that govern book-reading. That's probably a better/more efficient way to go about this sort of thing, overall, but the problem, IMO, is that...well, it's global, affecting all lots and all bookcases in all neighborhoods. I would really like something that only affects a specific bookcase, even if it's just a clone of a Maxis one, that I would then only use on community lots, without it also affecting how reading works on residential lots or on other community lots that might have bookcases on them. The reason being that, frankly, I find watching Sims sitting around reading books (or watching TV) to be EXTREMELY BORING, especially if it's just a single-Sim household so I can't busy myself with other Sims while the one reads. I don't want all of them to do a lot of book-reading and TV-watching, and I've adjusted a lot of settings on many different objects accordingly. I'd much, MUCH rather Sims do active things to gain skill points. (I mean, to have them gain cooking points, I'll often have them cook a bunch of meals and then just stick them in the fridge as leftovers rather than have them sit and read books or watch the cooking channel. They can do that as a supplement, sure, but I want them to primarily do active things to gain skill points. I mean, in the real world, you don't become a master chef by just reading cookbooks; you have to actively practice cooking and preparation techniques. And go to culinary school, but that's what revamped non-hidden "hobby lots" are for. )

The exception to all that, of course, would be a community-lot library, where it makes sense to have visiting Sims sitting and reading/studying just for logical background scenery purposes. So, I want a mod that's much more specific than a global BHAV mod. As in, I want a few community-lot-only bookcases that are autonomous and visitor-enabled. The problem, of course, is that the BHAVs will override individual-item autonomy settings. I'm pretty sure that's why, back when I was trying to make such a bookcase, I only got the one from the IKEA pack to work. Granted, I didn't try EVERY Maxis bookcase, just the two from the basegame and the IKEA one, IIRC. Of course, the "Dahlen" library bookcase is the one I really want and it didn't work autonomously, but....Well, if all else fails, I can make an invisible recolor of the IKEA one and stick it "under" a Dahlen one, and it'll work the same anyway. That's my usual strategy with this sort of thing. BUT! I need to get that IKEA one fully up to snuff first. That's a project I need to get back to once I'm finally done the Massive Hair Default Project(TM).

Anyway, yeah. Two different approaches. And the BHAV mod would probably be great for most people....but not for picky people like me who only want one sort of specific community lot to work a certain way. OTOH, having spoken to Simonut in PM, I know that her game only goes up to Seasons, so unfortunately the BHAV mod isn't going to help her even if she'd want to use it, since it requires AL or AL+FT.

Alchemist
#15 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 4:50 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 27th Jun 2018 at 5:21 PM.
@iCad, that's a good approach, too, of course. I think I originally tried a bookcase, not sure if it was one of yours, but it seemed to cause a conflict for me, a jumpbug I think, when studying extra skills or something? I don't quite remember now. I like my sims studying so my taste is probably different, but I will say, for others who might want to try it (sorry Simonut, didn't know that wouldn't work for you), there's no obvious excess of reading on my other lots. My use of the mod only works as well as it does on the library lot because there's nothing else there to do for fun and because they are also being held at a need for fun by keeping the need level at 0 with Need Freak, so the need is never satisfied, but never desperate either. The comfort need kept at zero keeps them looking for chairs on this lot, and I stopped that particular plastic park bench from allowing autonomous lounging because that would happen sometimes, too. On other lots, they might get a book a little more frequently than without the mod, but they fill their needs in other ways much more often than they read.

I'm loving Need Freak for making lots work autonomously, btw. I have setups for active lots like the gym or pool, a sick room where they need to rest, a restaurant, a meeting like a church or a pregnant mommie's group, etc., and I have changed all the 3D models for NF to fit those environments well, so it can be easily available at the front of the lot. In general, I'm finding in designing for autonomy that I'm getting my better results with cocktails of mods and this is just one of them that is working for me.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I built a small public library and they were just coming and chatting and playing hacky sack, but then I got this http://modthesims.info/d/318284, and I tweaked it a bit to make reading a bit more attractive to them. I also set up BOs Need Freak to keep them slightly needing comfort and fun which they get by sitting down and reading, too, so now the public library works great. I don't have to direct them at all.

The Need Freak is actually the stack of books on the picnic table - I changed its model to fit my decor.

After downloaded this mod but now my sims can read books in community lot.

Thank you for sharing
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:08 PM
@Sunradar, - thanks for pointing it out, thank you!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:08 AM Last edited by Simonut : 28th Jun 2018 at 12:51 AM.
@sunradar Lucky you I don't have the Eps that is needed I only have EPs up to Seasons I do have BV and FT but removed from my game those two Eps seem to always give me problems.
I build a very small Library and it's not useable all the Sims do is play water ball. I am still hoping.

@iCad When it comes to using SimPE I could never get my brains to understand or work with it, no matter how many time I try.

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 6:35 AM
Cool. Great news for libraries. And I look forward to seeing more visitor-enabled computers for community lots. I don't really want the ugly basegame one.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 11:43 AM Last edited by gazania : 6th Jul 2018 at 11:54 PM.
Oh, dear. Well, with that computer mod, I got the result I wanted, but not the way I expected!

I'm guessing it's because the mod wasn't updated for Seasons and/or Free Time, or that I'm using Monique's computer, or maybe a conflicting mod, but for reasons I cannot explain, my Sims now AVOID the modded Internet cafe computer, but now can't stay away from the other computers on the lot. It's a case of their using everything BUT the Internet cafe computer!

Good news, I guess, is that I can make one desk with the modded "vintage" computer, and that will probably be all I need. And technically, I DID get what I wanted, in a roundabout way. So I'm very grateful for the mod.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#21 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 1:12 AM
If someone still wondering where to find a community lot bookcase only, i've got it already on my downloads page:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=617702
Enjoy! :D