Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#26 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
I just have this sneaking feeling that a lot of pre-Seasons worlds are going to become obsolete overnight.

I doubt that, EA have already indicated through Twitter that they are considering World Builder custom worlds for future EPs, and anyway the premium worlds such as Barnacle Bay would suffer the same fate.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#27 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 9:07 AM
I'm kind of hoping seasons will be tunable like ini and ramps. Seasons does not look the same in a far north island with more blue colors, as it does in close to the equator more yellow light.
Instructor
#28 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I doubt that, EA have already indicated through Twitter that they are considering World Builder custom worlds for future EPs, and anyway the premium worlds such as Barnacle Bay would suffer the same fate.

I hope you are right. I certainly do believe that EA would make patches to THEIR existing worlds if there were problems. However, EA does not seem to share this concern with user made worlds.

Remember a couple years ago, when they replaced the granny rig with a rig of their own? All of their content was fixed, but they left everyone else hanging. Fortunately, the modding community fixed the problem in fairly short order.

I suspect the problems will most likely come with gamer made content. This is where things like player made terrain paints may come home to roost.

It's just a reminder that custom worlds ARE custom content, and EA can mess them up without batting an eye.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
I suspect the problems will most likely come with gamer made content. This is where things like player made terrain paints may come home to roost.

It's just a reminder that custom worlds ARE custom content, and EA can mess them up without batting an eye.

I'm thinking we may have superficial problems, like we did with Sims 2 when snow didn't settle on out of date CC. But many world builders try to make the worlds using similar techniques to the EA worlds (for example, using the same method for colour ramps, water planes etc,), so hopefully the problems will be minimal!
Test Subject
#30 Old 21st Oct 2012 at 11:53 PM
Since were on the topic of custom content and how seasons will affect it , what do you think will happen to my world? I have a bridge set by Moria in it. Will my world get corrupted by the then outdated content, thanks to the patch?
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 11:48 PM
Whilst I haven't posted in ages (been working on my own world which is so not going to be able to be posted on MTS it's untrue because of custom content), I will be watching seasons and if there is a need to update, then when I find out how, I'll be doing it for my world as well

No immediate promises, but I will be watching

I'm hoping.. and this is pure guesswork but what I would do, is also add a new flag which allows the seasons effects to not affect that item.. I mean seriously, the last thing I need right now is to have some of my ships and things covered by snow.. most of them would capsize In addition, theres some objects that can be used in conjunction with others that may not want or need a snow cover.

However, I also cannot imagine EA rebuilding every single outdoor building and object for snow. The 3d of sims is also a bit wierd, we don't really have height, as such.. as in one road going over another, so in the same way as the worlds ger routed for sims pottering aroung, it might be possible to do a "vertical" routing to determine snow position and then add a graphic overlay.. if this is done, pretty much everything will work with no changes needed and levels of snow can be built up over time

Regards
Test Subject
#32 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 1:11 AM
Moria, thanks for that insight! Your bridge kit is awesome and for me, to not be able to use it would be a real shame. Oh, I also hope that when the time comes, it's not that hard to recode for you, but we will see
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 6:36 PM
Default CAW now has Seasons BuyDebug items
Found this tutorial preparing the way for the Seasons Expansion which shows some of the new BuyDebug objects to make a lot "function" for Seasons effects.

Here's the original link:
seasonal-land-marker-tutorial

Note: There's a Nov 1, 2012 update to CAW downloadable from EA, it's 5mb larger than the last release.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 5th Nov 2012 at 10:39 PM
Default Seasons Fog Emitter Codes
Stumbled on this, updated Fog Emitter Codes for Seasons
Fog Emitter Codes on Simified
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 11:35 AM
I'm kinda getting scared now. I love my custom worlds to death, I never play EA worlds except Twinbrook. Where will my poor Simsies find a decent place to rest their weary bones if all my custom worlds get screwed? Ach ...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#36 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moria
Whilst I haven't posted in ages (been working on my own world which is so not going to be able to be posted on MTS it's untrue because of custom content), I will be watching seasons and if there is a need to update, then when I find out how, I'll be doing it for my world as well

You can definitely upload your world here, as long as you include or link to any CC you have made, and link to and credit any CC others have made that you use.

Also, be sure to not attach the CC to the world itself (I.e, remove the DCBackup before exporting), but instead link to the CC as separate downloads. This is a better way of doing things, as if the CC breaks then your world won't (as the game will delete any removed CC from the world).

I hope you'll upload it here, perhaps you'll start a creator feedback thread?
Page 2 of 2